General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fingernail painter not being charged

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 04:21 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

What a sad issue.

Hopefully, the District Attorney will file negligent homicide charges against this driver of the car.

Remember though, if the suspect blurted out to the responding officer that she was painting her nails, and he didn't immediately mirandize her, or never mirandized her, that may not be admissible in court. THAT may be why the Sheriff's Office filed the charges they did, letting the district attorney up the charges after all the evidence is in. Remember, it's a traffic investigation (which is basically a civil matter) up until the victim dies. Only then does it become a criminal investigation.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:23 PM
TwiggyAZ
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this on the news when I went home for lunch. What a tragic thing to happen. And a reason I keep it in first gear when at a stop and my eyes in the mirrors and looking for an escape route.

I also watched another idiot on the news who was texting while driving a bus for handicapped people, he ran right up the rear of another vehicle.

My thoughts to Anita's family and all bikers who have to be ever so vigilant, because azzholes aren't.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:40 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Old 05-06-2009, 04:48 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago 03 King
Please note that they are doing a Ride-In to her funeral. More details can be found at http://www.chicagolandcruisers.com/f...rial-ride.html or http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/...c,39219.0.html
That intersection is less than 10 miles from my house and I hadn't heard a word about it. I will be going to her ride in. This whole f---ing thing is a travesty, what, is the D.A. related to the woman who caused the accident or what???????????????

Old 05-06-2009, 04:50 PM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 740 Likes on 276 Posts

Less news coverage, but how about a cager that pulls into your lane to hit you head on?

Still have not heard about any charges in this either except improper lane usage....

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=289177

Old 05-06-2009, 05:17 PM
ElectraDave
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Almost makes me wanna help "paint" her fingernails with a ball pein hammer. WTF is on anyone's mind who does her f&cking nails while drving?

Old 05-06-2009, 05:40 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
What a sad issue.

Hopefully, the District Attorney will file negligent homicide charges against this driver of the car.

Remember though, if the suspect blurted out to the responding officer that she was painting her nails, and he didn't immediately mirandize her, or never mirandized her, that may not be admissible in court. THAT may be why the Sheriff's Office filed the charges they did, letting the district attorney up the charges after all the evidence is in. Remember, it's a traffic investigation (which is basically a civil matter) up until the victim dies. Only then does it become a criminal investigation.
If she "spontaneously uttered" that she was painting her fingernails, we're good to go. That would be admissable. After that spontaneous utterance, combined with the lack of skid marks, she should have been mirandized. (And very well may have been)

Hopefully, a trained traffic homicide investigator responded and interviewed her.

Even without that, the physical evidence at the scene, and possible witness statements would be enough to move forward with prosecution. In any case, she's gonna' get hammered on the civil side.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

I just watched this story on National News. How sad. People just gotta realize that driving takes all their concentration. The ones that get me are the ones watching a small TV while driving. Unbelievable.....

Trucky911

Old 05-06-2009, 06:16 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, this story was part of ABC evening news about drivers reading and doing other things except paying attention to their driving. I don't really care for lawyers but if I were that lady's son, I'd get one.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:19 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ToastedGoat
It looks like it will be left up to the state for prosecution.l.
Exactly. Just because she hasn't been charged doesn't mean that she won't charged. They are likely just getting their ducks in a row doing a complete investigation before they charge her.

I've personally been involved in cases that took nearly a year before charges were filed.

Quick Reply: Fingernail painter not being charged