General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Explain Lugging and Lurching or what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 12:26 PM
klap
Road Master
Received 242 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Dancemax
I get confused. What are the terms used when when you are in low gear (when you should be in high) and when you are in high gear (when you should be in low). Also does high mean you are in 5th or is it just the opposite? what are the different terms used for an inappropriate gear.

..please step away from the bike and get back in the minivan..

Old 05-06-2009, 12:43 PM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
Rollo, , pretty much hit the descrip.
Lugging, or as I say "hanging" a motor, is way BAD.
You can determine REAL QWIK if you are lugging a motor. TWIST the troddle quickly, IF the motor does NOT respond as quick, or does NOT respond at all, as you twist, you are lugging the motor. Drop it down a gear. LEARN your speed vs gear selection points.
This is a prob, IMHO, with the 6 speed overdrive trannys. MOST ppl are in 6th, too soon (read that - slow) Get that mph up there a bit, B4 you shift. The scoot will 'like' it, and after you do it a few times, you'll discover, that YOU like it, too. It will perform way betta.

The 'effect' of lugging is the same, or worse, than a TOO SLOW idle. Given the 'design' of our motors, they DO NOT do well under these 'stressful' scenarios. (The design that gives us the NICE tater sound, is also the same design that HATES lugging and slow idle) You can throw the 'wheels' (flywheels) outta time/balance.
Jus' keep the "R's" up there in the 'green band', even tho they sound way nice, when idled down, going, thump.....thump.....thump.
COURSE, if'n you have the $$$, LUG IT.
Yup, never use my 6th gear unless I am hauling on the freeway over 65 MPHs. This is what I was told and this is what I am doing.
I wish that they only put a 5th light on the dash instead of that stupid 6 light on the dash.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by klap
..please step away from the bike and get back in the minivan..
For Chris*'s sake, NO MORE re-dickless than where to put the gas cap, what "F"in' earl do I use, I WON"T PAY AN INDY TO INSTALL PARTS I BOUGHT ON-LINE, dealer screwed me cuz I wuz too toopid to know betta, on and on and on.
So, let's jus' answer the gize ?, smile, and BLAST THE H*LL outta him!!!!
To each 'they' own.
SOME of us were jus' REALLY fortunate to grow up 'round 'em, have family and friends with 'em, and worked on 'em. The REST are jus' RUBS !!! Bwahahahahaaaaa

FLAME AWAY !!!!!!

(OR BLOW IT OUT YUR ****, whichever you prefer!!!!)

Old 05-06-2009, 01:15 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Do they make a gear between 2nd and 3rd? I could really use one at 35 mph.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:17 PM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone already explained Lugging quite well.

Lurching is more along the line of being in too low a gear and rolling on and off the throttle to moderate speed. You see this alot with new riders in parking lots etc. It is much better to use your clutch than to use your throttle. It reduces the lurching and bucking and gives you much more control.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtMic
Do they make a gear between 2nd and 3rd? I could really use one at 35 mph.
Bring your scoot AND your CHECKBOOK, fix ya right up!!!!

The Harley-Davidson factory 6-speed ratios are: 1st (3.34), 2nd (2.30), 3rd (1.71), 4th (1.41), 5th (1.18), 6th (1.00).

The Baker DD7 transmission will have the following ratios: 1st (3.76), 2nd (2.75), 3rd (2.06), 4th (1.55), 5th (1.27), 6th (1.10), 7th (1.00).

BAKER DRIVETRAIN 7-SPEED GEAR SET
  • For 06-09 Dyna, 07-09 Touring, 07-09 FXST/FLST
  • Direct replacement of the Cruise Drive Harley-Davidson factory 6-speed
  • The 7th gear enables the motorcycle to make full use, by way of gear ratio management, of the torque and power put out by the new 96 ci and 110 ci motors
  • Unlike the stock mainshaft the DD7 is lightweight and only includes the small 1st gear, minimizing the shift clunk
  • Features a shortened 1st gear and tightened all other gears for smooth continuous acceleration from 1st to 4th gear
  • Shift smoothness is achieved by use of a new linear roller ball detent which is part of the supplied billet top cover
  • Comes ready to slide in the bike, no case modifications, shimming of the gear set or adjustments required
  • 7th main drive gear, main drive gear bearing, main drive seal are all included to replace 6th main
  • ARP 12pt bolts for door, top cover, stock side cover, Baler re-cal box and leads all included
  • Re-uses stock shifter pawl. Includes new Main drive gear bearing and seal, door gasket, side cover gasket and top cover gasket
  • Utilizes F6F door bearing retainer plate
  • DD7 door bearings are 28% wider than stock

Old 05-06-2009, 01:48 PM
jokerx
Banned

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
Bring your scoot AND your CHECKBOOK, fix ya right up!!!!

The Harley-Davidson factory 6-speed ratios are: 1st (3.34), 2nd (2.30), 3rd (1.71), 4th (1.41), 5th (1.18), 6th (1.00).
I believe they changed the 6th gear ratio for 09. I'll still take that DD7 though...

Last edited by jokerx; 05-06-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:14 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I'll take that DD7 modified for a 1200C.
Hell, I'd be happy with a 6th gear for cruising.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:39 PM
The Ground Truth
Cruiser

I read his post twice and I think I'm missing the reason for all the flaming here. I didn't see anything about him stating that he rides in the wrong gears, he was just asking which term was which. You guys are quick to pull the trigger.

Last edited by The Ground Truth; 05-06-2009 at 04:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Dancemax
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, that's ok. It is sometimes quite informative to act dumb and ask dumb questions. In a motor cycle safety course we learn how to ride safe and of course how to shift. We dont have time to get to theoretical gear ratios etc neither it is necessary. Actually some of you gentlemen explained it well. When the ratio is high, we are in low gear and when the ratio is "low" we are in high gear, right? I dont lug or lurch my softail.

Quick Reply: Explain Lugging and Lurching or what?