General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Kicked Back and Broke Starter

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 09:36 PM
lawdogso
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Kicked Back and Broke Starter

So while starting my Street glide this weekend it backfired and broke something in the starter. Now if sounds like a bunch of gears grinding when you start it. I will take it in tomorrow to have it looked at. Do you guys think this will be a one time thing or should I plan on more problems in the future? Let me know how your bikes do.
Lawdogso

Old 05-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Bike Kicked Back and Broke Starter

ORIGINAL: lawdogso

So while starting my Street glide this weekend it backfired and broke something in the starter. Now if sounds like a bunch of gears grinding when you start it. I will take it in tomorrow to have it looked at. Do you guys think this will be a one time thing or should I plan on more problems in the future? Let me know how your bikes do.
Lawdogso
Your ride backfired & the starter broke.Never heard of that before.You sure it was a backfire?Were you riding when this happened or starting her up?Something doesn't sound right here

Just reread your post.The bike didn't backfire.Starter needs to be replaced.Is it under warrenty?

Old 05-08-2006, 10:03 PM
alazlo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any performance work on the motor?

Old 05-09-2006, 01:03 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I agree.......bad starter.

Old 05-09-2006, 01:21 AM
eddybo69
Road Master

Kickbacks suck. My ATV kicked back while I was pull starting it. No damage to ATV just to me. Evulsion fracture, little bone in end of right ring finger broken into 3 pieces, torn ligament, two surgerys, 30 days hand immobilized, pin sticking out the end of finger that hung on everything, wire wrapeed around the bone chips until they fused back(under the skin hurt like a mother when they pulled it out with a pair of pliers), physical therapy, permanent loss of use of last digit of right ring finger, wish I had made them take the finger off. Good luck with your starter. BTW my ATV only kicked back that one time so it hopefully wont recur. I dont know whether it would be a good idea to ride the bike in that condition. If something in there is rattling around it wouldnt be good if it gets in the wrong spot and locks something up.

Old 05-09-2006, 01:24 AM
Punky Brewster
Banned

ORIGINAL: eddybo69

Kickbacks suck. My ATV kicked back while I was pull starting it. No damage to ATV just to me. Evulsion fracture, little bone in end of right ring finger broken into 3 pieces, torn ligament, two surgerys, 30 days hand immobilized, pin sticking out the end of finger that hung on everything, wire wrapeed around the bone chips until they fused back(under the skin hurt like a mother when they pulled it out with a pair of pliers), physical therapy, permanent loss of use of last digit of right ring finger, wish I had made them take the finger off. Good luck with your starter. BTW my ATV only kicked back that one time so it hopefully wont recur. I dont know whether it would be a good idea to ride the bike in that condition. If something in there is rattling around it wouldnt be good if it gets in the wrong spot and locks something up.
WOW!! that's f*ked up.Me............I would have set the f**ker on fire[:@]

Old 05-09-2006, 01:33 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: 87lowrider

First I woulda beat the crap outta it. Then got the slege, then pushed it off a cliff, then set it on fire!

Old 05-09-2006, 01:38 AM
Punky Brewster
Banned

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

ORIGINAL: 87lowrider

First I woulda beat the crap outta it. Then got the slege, then pushed it off a cliff, then set it on fire!
Sorry.....your right,my bad

Old 05-09-2006, 01:50 AM
eddybo69
Road Master

I didnt really think I was that injured at the time(about 3AM fairly to severly intoxicated). Left for vacation for a week the next morning. By the time I realized how bad it was and got home from vacation my anger had cooled somewhat. Thinking back on it makes me want to head over to the camp and take a torch to it.

Old 05-09-2006, 02:14 AM
lawdogso
Tourer

I was starting it up getting ready to leave the Harley shop. It has the 95 kit with 203 cams and head work done. It cranked over several times and BANG! After that the starter grinds and sounds like sh*t.
lawdogso

Quick Reply: Bike Kicked Back and Broke Starter