General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Kicked Back and Broke Starter

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 02:42 AM
kjriv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bike Kicked Back and Broke Starter

ORIGINAL: 87lowrider

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

ORIGINAL: eddybo69

Kickbacks suck. My ATV kicked back while I was pull starting it. No damage to ATV just to me. Evulsion fracture, little bone in end of right ring finger broken into 3 pieces, torn ligament, two surgerys, 30 days hand immobilized, pin sticking out the end of finger that hung on everything, wire wrapeed around the bone chips until they fused back(under the skin hurt like a mother when they pulled it out with a pair of pliers), physical therapy, permanent loss of use of last digit of right ring finger, wish I had made them take the finger off. Good luck with your starter. BTW my ATV only kicked back that one time so it hopefully wont recur. I dont know whether it would be a good idea to ride the bike in that condition. If something in there is rattling around it wouldnt be good if it gets in the wrong spot and locks something up.
WOW!! that's f*ked up.Me............I would have set the f**ker on fire[:@]
First I woulda beat the crap outta it. Then got the slege, then pushed it off a cliff, then set it on fire!
Sorry.....your right,my bad

WHAT!!!...No explosives??...you guys disappoint me.

Blow the f**ker up!

Old 05-09-2006, 10:09 AM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How high is the compression? Do you have and use compression releases? I use mine everytime as I have eaten one starter already. I am running 10.5-1 compression.
ORIGINAL: lawdogso

I was starting it up getting ready to leave the Harley shop. It has the 95 kit with 203 cams and head work done. It cranked over several times and BANG! After that the starter grinds and sounds like sh*t.
lawdogso

Old 05-10-2006, 02:12 AM
lawdogso
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have stock compression. I put forged pistons in it but left the compression alone so I can run pump gas. I took the bike in today and will know something in the next few days. I suspect the starter gear is wasted. I'll let you know.
lawdogso

Old 05-08-2007, 12:39 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

2007 Ultra and after 7,500 miles starter broke. Took the bike to the dealer and they said they haven't had any problems with the 2007 starters, could I be the first?

Old 05-08-2007, 01:21 PM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kjriv

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Kickbacks suck. My ATV kicked back while I was pull starting it. No damage to ATV just to me. Evulsion fracture, little bone in end of right ring finger broken into 3 pieces, torn ligament, two surgerys, 30 days hand immobilized, pin sticking out the end of finger that hung on everything, wire wrapeed around the bone chips until they fused back(under the skin hurt like a mother when they pulled it out with a pair of pliers), physical therapy, permanent loss of use of last digit of right ring finger, wish I had made them take the finger off. Good luck with your starter. BTW my ATV only kicked back that one time so it hopefully wont recur. I dont know whether it would be a good idea to ride the bike in that condition. If something in there is rattling around it wouldnt be good if it gets in the wrong spot and locks something up.
WOW!! that's f*ked up.Me............I would have set the f**ker on fire[:@]
First I woulda beat the crap outta it. Then got the slege, then pushed it off a cliff, then set it on fire!
Sorry.....your right,my bad

WHAT!!!...No explosives??...you guys disappoint me.

Blow the f**ker up!
My thoughts exactly! Nothing like a little C-4 if you have it around. If not... it isn't hard to come up with a pipe bomb. It might be more fun, and last longer with some 00 buck shot. Full auto is always a hoot!

Old 05-08-2007, 01:37 PM
cwilks
Banned

ORIGINAL: lawdogso

I was starting it up getting ready to leave the Harley shop. It has the 95 kit with 203 cams and head work done. It cranked over several times and BANG! After that the starter grinds and sounds like sh*t.
lawdogso

Huh, since you were already there why didn't you just have the Dealer look at it?

Old 05-08-2007, 04:21 PM
redman53
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: rmsurveyors

2007 Ultra and after 7,500 miles starter broke. Took the bike to the dealer and they said they haven't had any problems with the 2007 starters, could I be the first?
The starter on my 07 Low Rider took a dump at about 550 miles...fixed under warranty...thay said the pinion gear was misaligned and it knocked some metal off the starter gear...who knows...it got fixed and hasn't been a problem since

Old 05-08-2007, 04:31 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Next ATV, electric start?

While I never broke anything, due to a kickback, it was loads of fun trying to get my old 64 XLCH started at times. Talk about kickback, the back of my right leg got bruised more than once. Cool to see when someone jumps on the kickstart and it fires right up, A pain in the azz and not too much fun when you're trying to get it started along side a public road and the cagers riding by are honking and pointing because the bike won't start. Not fun.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:59 PM
jimb
Road Master

I'll bet when it kicked back it sheared a tooth or two off the pinion.My bike was backfiring and occasionally kicking back when I tried to start it hot.I ended up replacing the battery and it was getting worse.I took my seat off to pull the battery and realized both cables had vibrated loose.Tightened them up and hasn't happened since.I read an article by Joe Minton that talked a lot about this happening.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Bluerose

Wow, I had to look at where your from and what kind of bike you said because I saw a guy have the same prob at the Ventura dealership.

The guy rode into the Dealership all fine and dandy then went to start up the bike kicked and sounded like many little peices were spinning with the starter...very nasty sound.

I guess the good news was he was at the dealer. I can't remember the exact bike but it was not a Street Glide.

Quick Reply: Bike Kicked Back and Broke Starter