General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BLUE LED Lights on MOTOR. LEGALITY?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 04:48 PM
jay1953
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BLUE LED Lights on MOTOR. LEGALITY?

Do anyone know what law would prevent me from running BLUE LED Lights on my Harley? I have checked the codes and I can't find anything that says I can't have LED lights on my bike. The only references I find relate to Blue, Red, or Amber EMERGENCY LIGHTS which Police use on dashes, grills and on top of their cars.

Any answers?

I would love to run them on my engine because it would also help make me more visible at an intersection, etc.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:51 PM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

I my experience its illegal to run blue lights on your bike. Several towns and cities in Illinois will give tickets for this.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:52 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Illegal everywhere unless you are LEO.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:02 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Here, it is only illegal if visible to the front or rear of the bike. I guess an ultra could get away with it.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Orion-5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 420 Likes on 237 Posts

From the Connecticut DMV
Blue is usually reserved for emergency response folks.

I know that motor vehicle violations from not having proper equipment to having improper equipment (unauthorized lights) is a reason to initially pull you over, after that they usually find other reasons to cite or to arrest.

Sec. 14-96p. Color of lights

(b) A blue light may not be illuminated upon a motor vehicle, except that a vehicle being operated by an active member of a volunteer fire department or company or an active member of an organized civil preparedness auxiliary fire company who has been authorized in writing by the chief executive officer of such department or company may use such a light, including a flashing blue light, while on the way to the scene of a fire or other emergency requiring his services. Such authorization may be revoked by such officer or his successor. The chief executive officer of each volunteer fire department or company or organized civil preparedness auxiliary fire company shall certify annually during the month of January, on forms provided by the commissioner, the names and addresses of members whom he has authorized to use a blue light as provided in this subsection. Such listing shall also designate the registration number on the number plate or plates of the vehicle on which the authorized blue light is to be used.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Haywired
Road Master

Wisconsin allows white or amber showing to the front and red or amber showing to the rear unless it is an authorized emergency vehicle.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am posting from the perception you mean LED accent lights for the motor/frame, etc.
Up here, you can have ANY color your li'l heart desires, BUT, you can ONLY have them turned ON when you are parked. IF you are moving, and leave them on, call someone for bail $$.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:50 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,483 Likes on 2,428 Posts

+1 with Da Gump.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Peedib89
Tourer

there not legal here in NY. but i have green ones that ride with them illuminated and so far my only interaction with the local LEO's is one gave me a thumbs up at a red light and the other asked me where i got them at a red light so he could get them for his bike.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:09 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
I am posting from the perception you mean LED accent lights for the motor/frame, etc.
Up here, you can have ANY color your li'l heart desires, BUT, you can ONLY have them turned ON when you are parked. IF you are moving, and leave them on, call someone for bail $$.
this is also my understanding for Oregon

Quick Reply: BLUE LED Lights on MOTOR. LEGALITY?