Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for TALL riders

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:44 AM
99octane
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question for TALL riders

I'm 6'6" and have a '07 FXDC with central commands and highway pegs and standard saddle. I can reach my controls from the highway pegs with my heels.
My knees are exactly beside the tank bellies.
I feel comfortable for the first half hour, but after some time keeping my knees well against the tank gets tiresome, and the air seems to push my kees wide.
Shorter people have their legs almost straight down or forward, and don't suffer from the same problem.
Is there some solution to get my bike more comfortable, while keeping my controls reachable from my highway pegs?
Different controls?
Different saddle?
Something I didn't consider?

Old 05-04-2009, 08:06 AM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

I'm 6'6" as well, with forward controls. If you're spending most time riding on the highways while shifting with your heels, why not just get forwards and shift with your toes. I think, but I'm not sure, that highway pegs on those brackets sit higher up than forward controls do. Is that true?

I also installed mid-pegs just for stretching. I've read several threads of people saying they love mids, but spend most of the time on the highways shifting and braking with their heels. I've never understood that, why not just get forwards and shift/brake with your toes?

Old 05-04-2009, 08:16 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try repad your seat with 6" or 8" of foam pading it will get you some more leg room. Or just buy and fat seat.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:21 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 216 Posts

I'm only 6' 1" and my highway pegs feel right. I like the mids 'cause north Georgia is hilly and near the mountians, where mids allow for more control. I think HD makes a "tall" saddle.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:25 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes HD will sell anything or take your seat apart and add padding then restaple.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:28 AM
StreetGlider57
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only 6"2' but I switched to a tall boy seat. It made a big difference for me.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:32 AM
99octane
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by MZBuckeye
I'm 6'6" as well, with forward controls. If you're spending most time riding on the highways while shifting with your heels, why not just get forwards and shift with your toes. I think, but I'm not sure, that highway pegs on those brackets sit higher up than forward controls do. Is that true?

I also installed mid-pegs just for stretching. I've read several threads of people saying they love mids, but spend most of the time on the highways shifting and braking with their heels. I've never understood that, why not just get forwards and shift/brake with your toes?
Because I ride a lot in city traffic as well, and middle controls allow better equilibrium and handling than forward controls in such conditions (at least, this is true for me).
So I learned to use my controls both ways. Seems a damn complicated way to do a simple thing, but it works for me much better than just the forward controls.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:44 AM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

Fair enough, but with legs as long as yours (and mine ) I really don't think it's an issue. I see some pictures of people riding with forwards and their legs are completely straight. Mine are at a 90 degree angle on forwards, so I don't find it to be an issue whatsoever. I ride my FXDC pretty hard too, but mids are a no-go for my knees.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:48 AM
EDZ82FXR
Road Captain

As stated above i think someone makes a "Tall Boy" Seat that will put u higher up..Im 6'4" I never liked the Mid Controls on any bike, I've ridden a few and the Forward Controls are just a Must for me, if anything put forwards on and leave the Mid Mounted pegs there so u can put u feet there if u want. I've heard of people shifting from the forwards and then putting their feet on the mid pegs, idk why seems like a hard way to do it but whatever floats ur boat

Old 05-04-2009, 10:35 PM
elky72ss454
Road Captain
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I am 6' 3" I know what you are talking about. Holding your legs in gets tiring. The faster you go the worse it gets. I have forward controls on my springer. I added the 3" extentions to move them even farther ahead. This made it better but still could use more. I bought an ultra for the long runs. The fairing helps with the wind problem. Now I need to add highway pegs for more leg comfort.

Quick Reply: Question for TALL riders