General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

left the bike in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 12:18 PM
kermit_wisconsin
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by simpkinst
um, so your bike was in the rain. whats the big freakin deal? its gonna get dirt and bug splattered on it too. probably some rock chips and bird poo too.

You know you can ride in the rain, right? So if the bike is OK doing 50 MPH in the rain, it should be ok going 0 MPH.
but what if you're going 50 while riding under a flock of migrating starlings in the rain through an agricultural area infested with deamon locusts and you're stuck behind a dump truck with no mudflaps spitting rocks up at you? Ya! Bet you didn't think of that! Hahaha

Old 01-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Ed_Just_Ed
Tourer

Holy crap, dude! This summer my bike will be with me at Ft. Meade, MD at the on-post "hotel", or whatever it is. Will I wake up one morning and find it has dissolved? You'd think in the three years since this problem was brought to light (thank you, OP) the R and D boys at the MOCO would have addressed this. Maybe a spray-on sealant of some sort? What about force field technology? Unemployment's pretty high; maybe a guy could hire a crew to man an umbrella on rotating shifts?

Seriously, though, any recommendations on a good cover to take with me?

Old 01-22-2012, 01:01 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,999 Likes on 17,905 Posts

You married ? get some age on you you'll find the bike getting wet a hell a lot more often than your dick .

Old 01-22-2012, 01:20 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

back in the 80's i had a gayRODGE but didn't trust the scum bags in the hood . so i built a ramp and parked the sporty in the kitchen.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:41 PM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cadman311
To many POSER and not that many riders. Just alot of fairy weather art people with stuff.
Lighten up. Dude just wants to keep his bike in good shape. Joking around is fun, busting a guys chops ain't. And what the hell is a "fairy weather art people"?

Old 01-23-2012, 08:15 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Won't hurt a thing, just leave it alone and give it a good detailing after the weather clears up.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:49 PM
slickster2354
Intermediate

Your bike got WET?....really?...oh sheeeeeeeee!

Old 01-25-2012, 11:26 PM
suthrn
Intermediate

edit in: WTF is up with all the dickheaded comments about the op wanting to keep his friggin' scoot from rusting up?!!! "It won't melt..." "What about bird ****"...
If he's had to keep it exposed a couple days in the rain, I'm sure more are coming without some sort of real protection... No, it won't melt, but there's no doubt it'll start rusting pieces parts and hardware. I challenge you to keep your scoot out in the rainy winter weather and see how long it takes to get your panties in a twist.

If you're looking at the Bike Barn, I highly recommend checking out this shelterlogic 6x12x8 and save yourself $100 or more... http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=G47 I used the same thing while waiting for my trailer to be built (no garage here either), and currently have the same thing in a 12x20 for additional outside storage. As long as you don't have branches falling and poking holes in it (which can easily be patched with another material and some spray adhesive) You can get 3+ years out of the tarp. The roll up door kit is highly recommended or save a little $ and build it youself out of a length of pvc pipe filled with sand, pvc caps, 2 ea. 3/8 pulleys, 2 ea. S-hooks, a small cleat and some 3/8" braided nylon rope.

additional edit in: My initial edit still stands, but now I see how old the thread is...

Last edited by suthrn; 01-25-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:54 PM
djbiker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by seikan1
Harleys shrink when they get wet. Mine started as a RK and now it is a Sporty.

It won't hurt your bike, just dry it well and clean it to keep Mr. Oxidation at bay.
If you rub it just right, it will get big again, LOL! Sorry, I could not resist that one.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:20 AM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Arrow

I do not like my bike getting rained on. I know it wont melt, I accept that it will take 30 years to dissolve the thing or whatever. I dont care. I just really dont like my bike getting rained on. Sometimes the water seeps into the seat through the seams and my *** gets wet, sometimes my speedometer gets cloudy, I have had things like pictures, papers and cigarettes get ruined even being in the saddlebags. The rain in Arizona often brings a lot of dust down with it and the raindrops are a lot more like mud drops and make a mess. Call me whatever name you want, think of me whatever way you want, and I STILL wont like my bike getting rained on. I dont freak out when it does, and since I dont have a car, I ride in lotsa rain with no problem, but I dont like my bike getting rained on. Sooo... those of you with an attitude about it, bite me, or something.

Quick Reply: left the bike in the rain