General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? for those you prefer to ride alone

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 08:11 PM
frankjake
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ? for those you prefer to ride alone

There are a few topic about riding in groups or riding alone. Many member have said they prefer to ride alone.

I have one buddy I ride with most of the time. Of course there are time when I ride alone but I'm almost always with at least one other rider.

So the question for you solo riders, how far away from home do you ride alone? I mean, do you guys do 2 or 3 day rides alone or do you just do the few hundred mile weekend rides?

I'd love to ride to Sturgis again this year and was thinking of doing it alone. But at close to 1500 miles one way, it seems like long alone. At least with 1 buddy, if something were to happen, there'd be someone to help.

I know one guy here in town rides to Sturgis every year by himself. He's in his late 60's and been doing it for years. In fact last year he had just met a girl friend but kinda told her he was going alone. And when he got back home, he was also alone.

What do you guys/gals think about long rides by yourself?

Old 05-03-2009, 08:28 PM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be riding by my lonesome from eastern OK to Tucson, AZ this June. Don't see a problem with it.

You gotta' remember though, I have always been a loner. Was as a kid, same way as a youngman, even lots of it in me still. Drove trucks in my early twenties all over the USA by myself... rode fully 90% or more of my 40 years of dirt biking by myself... so it was natural for me to do so on the Deuce.

If you're not used to being by yourself and on your own for such a stretch or length of time... or simply can't seem to be comfortable with it... then try to hook up with someone from your region and ride out to Sturgis together?

Old 05-03-2009, 08:32 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Every longer trip I've gone on (600-800 miles from home) has been on my own. Ride along with others at times along the way, but no riding partner. Nobody going the same places I'm going. Nice to be on my own schedule, etc.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:34 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I go on 5-7 day trips around Montana and Wyoming by myself (1500-2000 miles). There's a lot of Montana out there that isn't in cell phone range, but I don't worry. Maybe I should.....

In this part of the country, you pull up to a roadhouse alone on a bike, there's always a conversation inside. The ride might be alone, but you'll meet all kinds of people when you stop.

I love riding alone....

Old 05-03-2009, 08:36 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,258 Likes on 4,784 Posts

I Always ride alone on long trips. About the farthest I want to go with anyone else is maybe 150 miles one way. I'm selfish that way in that I want to ride at whatever speed and route I want, stop and eat or pizz when I want and it's not open to discussion. If I need company I can always find a scooter bar someplace along the way.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:49 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by faber
In this part of the country, you pull up to a roadhouse alone on a bike, there's always a conversation inside. The ride might be alone, but you'll meet all kinds of people when you stop.
It's not just where you live, this same thing holds true around Kentucky and Tennessee. I like riding alone and just saying I'm going that way. Some of the best riding I have done has been accomplished by using directions given by local riders I have met along the way. Last year while riding in the Smokeys a thunderstorm came along and I stopped under a bridge. Twenty minutes later there were about 10 of us on all different makes just sitting there watching the lightening and talking about our travels. An hour later the storm passed and we all went our merry way. If the bike is good to go, so am I and the miles from home really never comes into it.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:50 PM
EDZ82FXR
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pretty much ride alone a lot myself, every now and then my Dad rides with me, and my brother just got his permit and has a crotch rocket, im sure we will ride together every now and then..In all honesty I like riding by myself cause I dont think of anything, and I can go wherever i want and do whatever i want for however long i want...I've been going through tough times in my life right now so I just go to a Park or a Place where I just go to where no one can find me and I just chill...All in all I wouldnt hesitate going for a ride anywhere, if something happens it happens

Old 05-03-2009, 08:54 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I'm planning a trip from Centeral Texas to New Bern, N.C. in late summer or early fall. It will be a solo ride! Not a problem for me.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:05 PM
pip369
Road Captain

I rode one year from Sturgis to KC by myself...think it is about 800 to 900 miles. It was great. Met a lot of cool people that I wouldn't of met otherwise. I stuck to the main roads in case of break downs and such but it was all good. I do have a few buddies that I ride with but I will do it alone if they can't make a trip.

Phil

Old 05-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

The farthest I've ridden alone was to Tulsa OK from here in Arkansas, not very far. I think on a 1500 mile trip I would prefer some company.

Quick Reply: ? for those you prefer to ride alone