General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? for those you prefer to ride alone

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 03:19 PM
GB_FXST
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frankjake
There are a few topic about riding in groups or riding alone. Many member have said they prefer to ride alone.

I have one buddy I ride with most of the time. Of course there are time when I ride alone but I'm almost always with at least one other rider.

So the question for you solo riders, how far away from home do you ride alone? I mean, do you guys do 2 or 3 day rides alone or do you just do the few hundred mile weekend rides?

I'd love to ride to Sturgis again this year and was thinking of doing it alone. But at close to 1500 miles one way, it seems like long alone. At least with 1 buddy, if something were to happen, there'd be someone to help.

I know one guy here in town rides to Sturgis every year by himself. He's in his late 60's and been doing it for years. In fact last year he had just met a girl friend but kinda told her he was going alone. And when he got back home, he was also alone.

What do you guys/gals think about long rides by yourself?
I too like to ride alone. Riding at your own pace and responsibility for just yourself are particularly relaxing.

Take your Sturgis trip alone; you will enjoy it!

Old 05-04-2009, 03:38 PM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Centerline
I have crossed the country many times solo, and most of my riding is solo.
All of my back country adventure riding has been solo. My wife rests a little easier in recent times as I now carry a GPS tracking device (SPOT) that is independent of cell phone service, sends her position updates at regular and can send for help w/o any cell phone signal, as long as the device can receive GPS signals.

I much prefer the freedom of solo rides.
Don't know if I would want the wife to be getting position updates when I am riding alone.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:18 PM
nferr
Road Master
Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

I've done 1500 mile trips alone. Love it. Go where you want - stop when you want. If you get a little lost who cares? Stop and eat where and when you like. Groups are nice too, but you never make the same kind of time as when you're on your own. This year I think I'm going to ride my Bonnie from Connecticut down to the Skyline and Blue Ridge by myself.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:37 PM
frankjake
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys for all the stories and encouragement. I think the longest ride I've done totally alone was about a 500 mile ride way back when I live in So Cal.

I guess now days I always seem to have someone who wants to go for a ride. I just don't have much of a chance to go alone except for the short 100 mile day rides.

But with the new bike, weather getting better and no old lady (that's not new) to worry about, I'm gonna do a lot more riding alone this year.

But we do have a group of about 10 people with 7 bikes taking a 10 day ride in mid June. I rode with this same group last year and had a great time and don't want to miss this years ride with them.

Thanks again.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Dustyf
Cruiser

My longest ride was in 2006 shortly after I bought my 06 Night Train. I toured 15 States and 5 provinces over a 6 week period that covered aproximately 10,000 miles. I loved the fact that I had no timetable and ate/slept wherever and whenever I wanted. I came back to work refreshed because by that time I was ready to deal with anything or any one. Riding alone gives you a lot of time to reflect on the past, present and future and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Dustyf

Old 05-04-2009, 06:43 PM
hagger
Banned
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I ride alone most of the time but don't mind having good company now and then. Cell doesn't work in the high country so do worry a bit.
But once I hit the road no worries. Whatever happens happens.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:20 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by faber
I go on 5-7 day trips around Montana and Wyoming by myself (1500-2000 miles). There's a lot of Montana out there that isn't in cell phone range, but I don't worry. Maybe I should.....

In this part of the country, you pull up to a roadhouse alone on a bike, there's always a conversation inside. The ride might be alone, but you'll meet all kinds of people when you stop.

I love riding alone....
Couldn't agree more! Well put.....

Old 05-04-2009, 08:02 PM
bkrtrsh
Novice
Default riding alone

Riding alone is one of the great pleasures of riding no timetable no agendas. Have rode Al to Calif . Done 22days 8000miles every stare except far northeast. Take your trip enjoy you will have something to talk about the rest of your life.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:14 PM
jason628
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings,

Like others, I prefer to ride alone. It helps clear your head out. As far as worries about breaking down, stick to the main roads and you should be fine. I'll probably do a 1100 mile trip later in the summer and I'll be alone.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:22 PM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Rode alone from AZ to NC and Back. From WA to NJ and back. From NC to CO and back. From TN to CO and back. Stuttgart Germany to Berlin and back. Stuttgart Gy to Italy to Normandy Beach to Paris to Norway and back to Stuttgart. Enjoyed every minute. Just do it you'll enjoy it.

Last edited by frogg; 05-04-2009 at 09:41 PM.

Quick Reply: ? for those you prefer to ride alone