General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? for those you prefer to ride alone

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:39 AM
99octane
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no prejudice about riding in company. I actually rode with my brother on his Harley, with friends on metric cruisers or race bikes, I even ride with cars, sometimes, usually my wife in her car with our cats who,I believe, wouldn't like being put in my bike's bags .
But I'm particular about my riding buddies, and very few people fall within my parameters. This is absolutely NOT to say that I'm too good for other people to ride with me. On the contrary: I'm a rookie, I have my own riding rythm, I'm uneasy thinking that I'm spoiling somebody else's ride being too slow. I feel uncomfortable with other people riding too close to me, or failing to keep a staggered formation.
So I mostly prefer riding alone.
Longest ride till now was about 80 miles. Italy is not America and we don't have the long, lonely rides.
You are either on statal roads in densely populated areas, or on highly trafficked highways.
My '07 FXDC is not actually suited to long cruises, after all.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:41 AM
jbphoto
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by danielo
I used to all the time,but sence quad bypss,Moma won't hear of it ,if I can't get someone to go with ,She won't let me go.Can't say that I blame her.If it were reversed I wouldn't let her go by her self.(Its hell to get old.)
That's probably a smart thing to do. I had my quad 4 years ago and I still ride alone. I haven't had any problems yet and hopefully, I won't. On the other hand I don't have an OL to convince me I shouldn't go.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:39 AM
fdshriner
Intermediate

ridin alone is great. Do whatever whenever.....just you and the bike

Old 05-04-2009, 10:06 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Most all of my riding is alone. Last year I rode from NC to UT, CO, & NM (5,300 miles). I also rode to the Indy MotoGP and the Moonshine Lunch Run in IL which is a "must do" every year.
This year I have 2 western states trips planned as well as the MotoGP again. I also do lots of day trips on the weekends The MLR has already kicked off my riding season for the year.
I like to come and go as I please. Most of my trips are to events with long distance riders groups. Most of these guys ride alone and socialize at the destinations.
I keep my bike in good condition and don't worry about too much other than the occasional flat tire.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Mr Zip
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of my rides are alone and are usually in the 3 day, 1k to 1.5k range.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:23 AM
twally
Advanced

I've done it both ways. Two cross country alone, one to sturgis with a good friend and his wife(2 up). I prefer alone, but if you have confidence in the other rider it's not that bad. My son wants to ride to Sturgis from Fl, I said ok, we'll see.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:47 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still a newbie to riding so I usually back road ride for about 100 miles by myself. I plan on doing some long camping trips this summer with my cousin tho, this way we can get lost together.It's more fun that way

Old 05-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Xuallus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm heading to Sturgis this year alone.. Just over 1000 miles each way. I've done a lot of trucking, and always preferred to run alone.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:41 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't restrict my trips based on alone or with a group...as long as you have a cell phone you are good to go...if I do Sturgis this year, it will be a 1 bike trip...

Old 05-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have crossed the country many times solo, and most of my riding is solo.
All of my back country adventure riding has been solo. My wife rests a little easier in recent times as I now carry a GPS tracking device (SPOT) that is independent of cell phone service, sends her position updates at regular and can send for help w/o any cell phone signal, as long as the device can receive GPS signals.

I much prefer the freedom of solo rides.

Quick Reply: ? for those you prefer to ride alone