General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? for those you prefer to ride alone

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:58 PM
desertglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a friend in town who I would ride with all the time. Job took my friend up to ND. Now i Ride alone alot, haven't found someone who is a good match. We meet up in Sturgis every other year and are back to ridin together without skippin a beat. The ride to and from Sturgis I do alone. Once riding through UT i didn't see a car or bike on the road for at least 30 min. I was in the middle of nowhere and wished I wasn't alone.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Rat Trap
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

My bike's with me so I'm never alone.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:42 PM
DoomBuggy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chicago to LA and back then Chicago to NY, NY and back all in one summer. That is the longest I have done by myself. I have done Chicago to Phoenix and back again many times over the years on everything from a 650 Yamaha, to my Sporty, to the Panhead and hope to do it on the Ultra this year.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:42 PM
cchips
Ultimate HDF Member

I ride about 800 to 1200 mile trips alone about every month. I enjoy being able to stop when I want, ride as fast as I want, ride as long as I want. I also like riding with my friends as well though.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:20 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Now a days most of my solo trips are or the 100-200 miles, but I now have an OL and kids. Back in the day I rode an 82 CB900 from LaGrange, GA (about 60 miles south of Atlanta) to Albquerque NM its about 1400 miles one way, and I rode solo. I am just glad I was delivering the bike there and did not have to ride it back.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:54 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,295 Likes on 1,585 Posts

I love riding solo, long distance.

Seems like every time I stop I find someone to talk to, have a beer with or let me know where the local good food is. I love hearing about the places I stop from the people that live there. I believe that everybody is proud of their town, state, area or whatever and likes to share it.

I am always surprised how many people I meet that used to ride when they were younger. Maybe it's just that those who did are the first to talk to you. It is always cool to hear some older guy that rode back in the 50s and 60s talk about their trips.

I've never had even one second of hassle anywhere I've ridden alone.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:07 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

From San Antonio I have been as far west as Utah, as for north as Wyoming, as far east as North Carolina, and north to Wisconsin. Never had a problem with several 3500 mile weeks.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:08 AM
lanceo70
Tourer

Although I enjoy riding in small groups.. Some of my best trips were by myself. It was a good feeling of doing whatever I wanted, and not having to have to run it by anyone else. The way it looks now, is that my usual Sturgis group is opting out of going this year. So looks like I'm going to do the Sturgis run by myself.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:13 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Why not?Personally I would prefer the company.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:14 AM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many, many years ago made a trip from Detroit to Macinaw City (About a 3-4 hour drive by cage) with 5 friends on scoots. That Ride took from 7pm till 9am because 1 guy had thrown his bike together in 2 days after a winter tear down. About every half hour something else either quit working or fell off his bike. After about 6 hours of this he was told it would go in the pickup for the rest of the trip if it happened again. We then made the last 60 miles trouble free. He spent quite a few hours going over every bolt on that machine while the rest of us partied. ( He did make it home trouble free.)
The moral of the story is : I ride alone almost exclusively since that time. I love the freedom of going where I want when I want and the freedom to change my direction at any carefree whim I may.

On a side note to earlier post by danielo, I had open heart sugery with 5 bypasses 4 years ago. The first couple years I was still always worried about something happening again. I now just live like I always did before the surgery. I carry a cell phone at all times just in case. I told my wife I could not live in fear of the unknown and I was going to LIVE for as long as I can, be it 1 day or 100 years.

Last edited by rodnock; 05-04-2009 at 10:44 AM.

Quick Reply: ? for those you prefer to ride alone