General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another "which Harley should I get" thread-with a twist

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009 | 12:40 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

The Sportster is to small, the Road King is to big but a used
dyna would be just right. You and Your wife check them out,
and see which one would be right for you both.

Old 05-01-2009 | 05:30 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you've always wanted a Harley, buy one. Nothing wrong with a Sporty for your intended riding purposes. Should be able to get a good deal since there were lots of tradeins under the MoCo msrp deal.

Old 05-01-2009 | 05:49 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by pax maac
Hey all,

I want a Harley. Always have, as long as I can remember. Always wanted a Road King. Can't afford a Road King, even used. My budget is Sporty. Maybe a 1200 if I'm lucky.

For the price of a Sporty, I could also get a bigger non Harley cruiser. Practicality tells me I should do that. But sentiment says, get the Sporty, you'll be happier cuz you have a Harley even if its a little uncomfortable for the long haul for now.
What do you think?
Originally Posted by pax maac
Haha, thats funny, I had a VTX1300 and sold it. It rode nice enough, but it just felt really....plastic-y. Wouldn't want another.

Forgot to add, I'm 6 feet, 185#.

I think maybe I should have titled this thread, metric cruiser or Sporty?
hmmmm see when youy ASK these questions, you oughta give us more details....
Based on your OP, I would have told you to take a riding class first, because it's the cheapest way of finding out whether or not you even LIKE to ride a bike..... I never did like the VTX1300, could never feel comfotable on one... and they were giving them away a few years back.... (something like 7grand, for left over models)

A Nomad is a decent used bike, low prices, 1600 engine EFI, hauls a passenger easily. but... if you've got the bug.... you won't want anything but what you want. For the price of a sporty1200 you can get a lot of USED bike.... just gotta shop around. Fellow on here just picked up a 2004 Road Glide for $10 grand....

yeah I know... FUGLY bike.... but at THAT price, he's touring 2 up in style, and the bike zips around town with no worries (why do you think cops ride TOURING bikes?)

Lots of good choices out there, just gotta look. figre out your budget, then search Craigslist, Ebay, and cycle trader

Old 05-01-2009 | 09:34 AM
BigNick
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't hesitate to look for an older Road King... I have a '95 (see my sig pic below). It needed a good cleanup, new fluids, plugs and such, but its EVO motor runs like a top and I think most will agree that they are pretty much bulletproof. I've put money into it when I could to upgrade or replace worn parts and worked hard on getting it cleaned up. I've added some bling here and there or replaced some parts to suit my likes, and now get compliments on the bike. With all the money I put into it, I've still spent less than a new Nightster with pipes/Stage 1 would cost. The ride on the touring bikes is great, you won't regret it. And it will accommodate 2-up easily. I started on an 883 Custom... loved the bike, but love my RK more.