General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally ahve ridden without a helmet!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 10:34 PM
billyp326
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Feels great to ride w/o helmet, but I always have that little thought in the back of my head about my skull meeting the pavement at 65mph...

Old 04-30-2009, 10:35 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by anubisss
I live in CA and have since I started riding. Got To Arizona during the Laughlin run, and rode without a helmet for the first time. Now I see why people fight so hard to have bikers rights and to abolish helmet laws. It was great to feel the breeze in my extremely short hair and not have that brain bucket up there for a while. The first thing I noticed when I got back to NV and put my helmet on was the extraordinary amount of sweating that my head does with a helmet. Anyway, maybe it will be repealed here on eday too. Who knows...

Yeah, I'm always amused when some people come off with the "my helmet is ventilated, very cool and comfortable, yada yada...I've got 4 or 5 helmets of every style...a helmet is HOT! I don't care how light it is...it's HOT! I don't care how ventilated it is ...it's HOT! If people want to wear one, I've always said, no one is going to tell them to take it off...but the fkn things are uncomfortable and HOT!

Anyway, glad to hear that you enjoyed the experience to see how the other half ride...

Old 04-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Mr Zip
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know what it is about helmets, but the bike vibration rattles my head and after a few hours on the road, it starts jacking up my vision to the point it's hard to see road signs. I'm sure it's not the helmets fault, since alot of people tell me theres something wrong with my head.

I know its dangerous etc etc, but wearing a helmet takes a good chunk of the enjoyment I find in riding.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:54 PM
cdale976
Road Master

It's really nice to have a choice. hell i can go to sturgis and back without havin to wear a lid.......

Old 05-01-2009, 12:12 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yep, I love it too.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:24 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll stick with my helmet, sweat dries .

Old 05-01-2009, 02:33 AM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Riding without is a great experience. I got to ride around Sturgis last year for 10 days lid free. Fantastic. First time in many years.

The only good helmet in a wreck is a full face; it's also the worst for riding safely. I'll take riding safely.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:53 AM
ultracan
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 147 Posts

We have mandatory helmet laws here and I hate them. When we are riding in the USA I have a list that I made for the bike on which States have helmet laws and which don't. Every time we cross a State line we check the list and the helmet either goes on or off depending on where we are.

My personal choice is no helmet.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:14 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

congrat's on helmet free ride.it does feel good i live where you can do it all you want.i wear a shortie off and on but i try alot not to wear one. and i agree with most your head does sweat alot with one. and so i dont burn the top of my head i wear a doo-rag because i have burnt the top a few year's back and it does smart alittle.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:56 AM
2000 fatboy
Stage IV

Hi i live in new hampshire where there is no helmet law and whenever i go to vt where there is one it is tough to stop at the border and put that hot thing on,,,,
it is great living in a state where there is no helmet law

Quick Reply: Finally ahve ridden without a helmet!