General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad riding practice

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 11:47 PM
Pat
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad riding practice

Went for the first 1/2 day ride of the season today with a friend who rides a BMW1100RT. His riding practices made me a bit uncomfortable. He would ride exactly abreast of me while criusing at 70 to 80 mph on a two lane secondary highway. I've not done a lot of group riding but to me that seemed incorrect. I had no 'wiggle room'. I'm generally a defensive rider and I like to have an exit strategy and his being right beside me felt dangerous.

I pulled ahead, signalled for a stop and we had a chat about it. Turns out that he was doing it to get out of the turbulence the softail left behind. From then on I asked him to take the lead.

I don't know if it's the correct way but I stayed about 3 bike lenghts behind him and staggered in the travel lane.

Hope I was doing it right.

Old 05-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: Bad riding practice

You are correct. Staggered riding is proper. It gives you an out in case the bike in front of you has an emergency.

Old 05-07-2006, 11:53 PM
zombie
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You were correct, when riding with more than one bike in a group, the lead biker occupies the lane and the following bikes stagger themselves. Riding abreast of each other is illegal, at least in Colorado and Virginia. At stops however the biker following the lead biker will pull up abreast to the lead rider at a stop.

Anyone that rode like that with me would either learn quickly the proper way to ride or I wouldn't ride with them...that's just dangerous practice. Better turbelence than dead.

Old 05-07-2006, 11:54 PM
reefteach
Tourer

I only like side by side at stop lights.

Old 05-08-2006, 12:02 AM
Lpye
Road Captain

You were absolutely right. I refuse to ride side by side. As far as wind from a softtail. I think he is full of crap. I have rode in groups for years. I lead many group rides on a dresser and no one complains

Old 05-08-2006, 12:05 AM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Funny, you don't look the size of a semi. that's the only time I get in a back wash.
I call BS!

Old 05-08-2006, 12:07 AM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I find most enjoyable about staggered formation, is that you have the most freedom to look around and take in the sites. I like to ride right in the mirror of the bike in front of me and also like it when I can count on the bike behind me to be right in my mirror.
I do get a bit annoyed when the bike behind me insists on riding right in my blind spot so I have move my head around to search for him in my mirror.

But, I must add, there's not much a prettier sight than a group of riders that can effectively and successfully maintain a tight two abreast formation. But also, from my experience, this formation adds to the days end total riding fatigue, especially on long distance hi-way speeds.

chappy

Old 05-08-2006, 12:10 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Pat

I pulled ahead, signalled for a stop and we had a chat about it. Turns out that he was doing it to get out of the turbulence the softail left behind. From then on I asked him to take the lead.

I don't know if it's the correct way but I stayed about 3 bike lenghts behind him and staggered in the travel lane.

Hope I was doing it right.
LOL Thats funny, turbulence is what you have behind a 747 coming in for a landing. Were you passing a lot of wind?

Old 05-08-2006, 12:11 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Staggered riding is proper.

Old 05-08-2006, 12:17 AM
Pat
Road Master

Were you passing a lot of wind?