General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short people got no reason to ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 06:42 AM
Danowert
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The entire HD line can be lowered. Some more than others. The Dyna line is probably the best handling with good HP and nice styling. It can be lowered 2" without very much expense and still be able to do the twisties and hit a few bumps without bottoming. Since you are lightweight also thats a big advantage to the more limited shock travel.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:19 AM
guitarman777
Road Captain

Welcome to the Forum!

Choosing the right bike is key, of course. But another factor is what you can do with the bike to make it more accommodating. One of the instructors from the MSF course I took is barely 5'3", and she rides a full-blown Ultra Classic. Granted she did have air shocks installed for ride height adjustment on-the-fly, but I remember her being adamant to everyone in the class that height & size doesn't have to be a detriment when choosing a bike, it's all about how you make the bike you want work to fit you, and how you adjust your riding skills to handle any size of bike.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:34 AM
ALL-IN CYCLES
Advanced

OK, it's all a matter of choice and what you are willing to give up to get the bike you want. My wife is 5'0" 115 lbs with a very short inseam, She started on a Buell Blast in 2004. She moved up to a Sportster 1200 Low in 2007. I just had to lower it a bit more so she could be flat footed for pushing the bike around. She would love to move up to a big twin but the part to take in to consideration is how well you will be able to push the bike around. Another thing to consider, it's not always the seat height but how far the exhaust and primary cover sticks out on any big twin. You have to look at weather you will burn your leg or if their is enough room to get your feet down safely. Any bike can be lowered but when it is the lean angle is also reduced so you might be dragging foot pegs or exhaust on turns.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:49 AM
sparky1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try softtail Deluxe,beautiful bike,low sittin and comfortable can't beat it,just my opinion.Ride safe.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:52 AM
TwiggyAZ
Banned

Originally Posted by rockDAWG
Twiggy, how tall are you? Looking at your bike (beautiful BTW), the foot controls are pretty forward, I am not sure if I can reach with my foot. The seat does look sitting low. Thanks.
I'm 5'4" - no problem reaching the controls. That Reach Seat pushes you forward a couple inches more than the stock seat.

My problem (with all bikes!) is backing them up!! So I find a spot where I can just take off from that position, or someone helps me back her into a spot. (Note: When people help you often back into spots, they tend to push on the front light and eventually it pushes the front light out of kilter! Just FYI!!)

Last edited by TwiggyAZ; 05-01-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:08 AM
Streets of Fire
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 5'4" and run on a Lowrider with forwards with no problem

Old 05-01-2009, 10:33 AM
ToastedGoat
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rockDAWG
TG, do you remember how much you paid for changing out the shocks?

BTW, thanks for the link.
sent you a pm.. but I'll post it here too.

I installed them myself (shocks are very easy to do)
Progressive 11"shocks for 08 Streetbob. I paid $275.00 for them. They ride better than the stock shocks even though they are shorter.

Last edited by ToastedGoat; 05-01-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:25 PM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member

I am 5'6' and I ride a Heritage Classic. Now there is short and there is inseam challenged. My hubby is 6’2’’ , but my legs are longer than his. Your height is only one portion of the equation. His Dyna wide Glide is lower than my Heritage Classic. Neither one of them have been lowered. Although that is usually an option for most bikes to have them lowered if you like the basic bike.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:31 PM
karaokeman
Road Captain

I think the idea is what size bike so you don't have to get pushed in and out of parking spots or sit on the tank to reach the forward controls. Or have to drive around for 15minutes so you can park the bike in a way you can get in and out of the spot or use a milk crate to get on and off. Anyone can RIDE any bike...but comfortable and SAFELY is the KEY

Old 05-01-2009, 12:35 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You and I are both the same size. I have a 99 xlh that was lowered, stock solo seat Fits me just fine and I am flatfooted. Also have a 2003 Lowrider stock suspension and seat fits just great also I like both bikes and have no trouble riding either one. There are lots of combinations of seats shocks and other items that will make the bike fit you. Find a good dealer and they will work with you to make it fit

Quick Reply: Short people got no reason to ride