General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short people got no reason to ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 03:33 PM
username17
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm around 5' 9" and I bought an Iron 883.

On flat ground I'm able to plant both feet firmly on the ground with my knees bent. I can easily stand up while on the bike.

I would try out an Iron at your local dealership, you should be able to fit on it no problem.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:35 PM
mnewb1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't feel intimidated because of height. I'm 5'4". My first bike was a BMW 75/5 with a seat height of 33 inches. I had to one foot that, but if you are careful about where and how you park and stop, it can be done.

My bike for the last two years was a 2003 Road King Classic ( now sold). Awesome bike. Even with boots I could only get ***** of my feet down. Usually , I would one foot at stops. I never had a problem. I was even able to back it up though again I used mainly one foot and some muscle.

Don't let anyone tell you you can't fit on a bike unless you can flat foot it. You have to plan ahead and be smart about how you ride, but you can do it and do it safely.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:35 PM
rockDAWG
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
deluxe for sure and if thats not low enough SLAMMMM IT!!! Im sure a short person(midget) could ride my bike
Excuse me of being a newbie. What is "slam" ?

Midget..... do you really need to use this word on this thread ?

Last edited by rockDAWG; 04-30-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:42 PM
rockDAWG
Road Captain

Originally Posted by username17
I'm around 5' 9" and I bought an Iron 883.
5'9"....... you are a giaint.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Butt Ugly
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are plenty of gals that ride that are no taller and some shorter than you are. You can lower a bike pretty easy, but there are models that are already lowered. Sit on a Sportster with the low ride package. Sportster is a good choice for a bike you are not going to cruise all over with. They are excellent for commuting and around town.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:51 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

Stay away from bikes with forward controls. That's where most shorter people have trouble. Floorboards or mid controls are best.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:55 PM
rockDAWG
Road Captain

Originally Posted by karaokeman
Bigger engine / heavier and bigge bike / 6th gear /

The DYNAS are nice bikes and the Lowrider would be the best way to go if money is no object and your not looking to TOUR.
A general question to all:

I assume that bigger engine and heavier bike add the stability of the ride. What is the determinating factors to be considered if the bike is too big for the rider?

At one time, I heard from someone told me if you can flat footed, you can ride the bike. The weigh of the bike is not relevant here, I found it is hard to believe.

When I was at the dealer last nite, I sat on Sportster I felt very comfortable. When I sat on the Deleux, I was intimated by its weigh. Will this go away once I get used to the handling of the bike?

Old 04-30-2009, 03:57 PM
1200lady
Cruiser
Default short rider

I am a 60 yr old lady who is 5'1"and rides a sporty 1200 had to put on progressive shocks and shave down the seat but now I am flat footed. By the way I think it is important to be able to touch both feet on the ground for when parking in dirt, gravel or uneven surfaces. I want to be able to ride my bike and park it anywhere I go without asking another rider/person to help me in any way.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Jacs
Intermediate

I'm 5' 4" and ride a Fat Bob.
I can flat foot if I stop in a road rut otherwise my heels are about a 1/4 inch off the ground.
I put a Mustang solo seat on my bike which seems much narrower towards the tank making it easier to reach the ground. and the Mustang seat is way more comfortable.
My two previous bikes were alot higher (CBR 900 @ 1000 Ninja) so I was use to one legging at stops.
Much happier on my Harley.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:17 PM
TwiggyAZ
Banned

Originally Posted by rockDAWG
A general question to all:

I assume that bigger engine and heavier bike add the stability of the ride. What is the determinating factors to be considered if the bike is too big for the rider?

At one time, I heard from someone told me if you can flat footed, you can ride the bike. The weigh of the bike is not relevant here, I found it is hard to believe.

When I was at the dealer last nite, I sat on Sportster I felt very comfortable. When I sat on the Deleux, I was intimated by its weigh. Will this go away once I get used to the handling of the bike?
Yes, I had been riding a 400lb bike before my Deluxe which is I think 680lb(?) and had no problem, and well, for a girl and 105lbs!! Men have more upper body strength. The Deluxe is most balanced bike of HD, very easy to pick up.

I also put a "HD Reach Seat" on it which gives you a couple more inches.

Name:  MiscPics2009014.jpg
Views: 3335
Size:  153.8 KB

Last edited by TwiggyAZ; 04-30-2009 at 04:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Short people got no reason to ride