Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missouri Passes Helmet Law

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 05:05 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I started this thread it was to just let everybody know that the helmet law was being repealed, it is not about wearing a helmet or not wearing one, it is about freedom of choice. That is all we have fought for as americans to preserve, freedom, and this is just another fight to protect our freedom. I don't care if you wear a helmet or not wear one. It is only about one thing and one thing only FREEDOM OF CHOICE

Old 05-04-2009, 07:14 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

mcrider1 thanks for the statistics, that should be an eye opener for anyone. I do believe in freedom of choice, but if that choice costs me money in taxes or higher insurance premiums to keep someone else alive after their accident with no helment, then you are now getting into my pocket book and limiting my choices. My only head is too valuable to take a chance with, so I have always worn a helment since my first bike in 1967. I don't really care what others do, but I bet most of the " no helment" crowd have never seen what being turned into vegatable by a head injury can do to a person.
Fine. Are you going to include ALL at risk activities?

Many who don't ride would say that simply riding a motorcycle is FAR, FAR more dangerous than driving a car. Are you willing to pay higher premiums because your activity is coming out of "THEIR" pocketbook?

And what if a helmeted rider is severely injured because he crashed while he was doing 30 mph over the limit? He could have controlled his motorcycle and stopped had he been going the speed limit. Should "I" pay higher premiums for that?

As someone mentioned before, as many or more pedestrians are killed every year. Helmets for them, too?

People who ascend ladders to paint? Helmets?

Heart disease kills more people than just about anything in this country. What about the people who eat fast food every day? The billions of dollars it takes to treat them.

My state pays over 1 billion dollars every year to educate, incarcerate, adjudicate, and provide healthcare for people who aren't even U.S. citizens. They're here ILLEGALLY. The federal government pays a substantial portion as well. We all pay for that in taxes.

From a monetary standpoint, unhelmeted injured motorcyclists aren't even the same sport let alone the same ballpark. It ain't the fuzz on a tick's ear.

Last edited by AZ Rider; 05-04-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:19 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

13% of vehicle deaths involve motorcycles.
11% of vehicle deaths involve pedestrians.

So, Mr. ATGATT what kind of gear should the pedestrians start wearing?
Well?

Last edited by AZ Rider; 05-04-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Lyfer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great. Now I can get to all the good motorcycle roads in Missouri and Arkansas. Who needs the Interstate. Although, I suppose there could be a highway detoured onto the Interstate for a spell, so would probably have to take a flippin' helmet anyway. Argh!!

Old 05-04-2009, 08:57 PM
chairman
6th Gear

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
Yep it never fails.....

I've been riding Harley's for about 39 years, and have never worn helmets (except when passing through states where they are required)...

Doesn't matter to me if people wear them or not, as it's their decision and none of my business.

I don't try to force my opinions on others and I expect the same in return..

Helmet No Helmet

I have been riding a lot longer that that. Your very lucky that you never needed a helmet. If you ever had to use one when you needed it, you would kiss that sucker.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:11 AM
moguy
Cruiser

so did it get vetoed or is it going to be law in aug.?

Old 06-02-2009, 12:24 PM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

05-04-2009 08:19 PM
Lyfer Great. Now I can get to all the good motorcycle roads in Missouri and Arkansas. Who needs the Interstate. Although, I suppose there could be a highway detoured onto the Interstate for a spell, so would probably have to take a flippin' helmet anyway. Argh!!
Yup! Hwy 61, south of Festus/Crystal City, near Bloomsdale. They are working on a bridge or something and detouring traffic onto I-55 for about 3 miles.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:31 PM
SuperglideKen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Govenor was on the news just yesterday and said he still has not made up his mind. He did say that he used to ride Motorcycles. I guess it will come down to the same old thing....Money

Old 06-02-2009, 12:34 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The interstate "compromise" is a bad thing. Some safety **** will probably go to court and get the law thrown out, on the basis that if it's too dangerous on the interstate it's too dangerous everywhere.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:41 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by chairman
Your very lucky that you never needed a helmet. If you ever had to use one when you needed it, you would kiss that sucker.
I've never worn a helmet while driving a 4-wheel vehicle either, even though the majority of car/truck deaths during an accident are caused by head trauma.

I've also been shot a few times but still managed to survive, even though I don't usually wear bulletproof body armor.

There are risks in just about everything you do, and maybe I am just more comfortable than others in accepting those risks.

Quick Reply: Missouri Passes Helmet Law