General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a great day!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 04:45 AM
whiplush
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a great day!

Had an awesome day (Sunday). A couple of friends and I went to Maggie Valley N.C. today because there was supposed to be a rallay. Well we get there and its pretty much over. The rally was really Friday and Saturday. So we get there and eat a bite then we tool around town and then go to this Motorcycle museum we heard was there. It was called the Wheels Through Time Museum. What a killer place! It's a museum of a guy's private collection. He had over 200 bikes I believe they said. All american made. He had 2 Evil Knievel jump bikes and tons of very old bikes along with all sorts of stuff with V-Twins like go-carts, a garden tiller and even a small plane. Well we get through looking around and head out and run into the owner and start yacking it up. One of my buds with me owns a 47 flathead and starts talking to the guy about it and the guy gives him his # and tells him to give him a call if he ever needs any tech info or anything for his 47. What a great guy, got all them bikes and was just a regular guy, nice as can be. I highly reccomend anyone in the area to check this place out. If your into old Harleys you won't regret it!

So then I get back home and put my new chrome upper and lower fork sliders on my bike all by myself! My first Harley and my first big wrench project and it went smooth as silk. Took me about 3 hours but I took it slow and easy and smoked a lot of cigs in the process.

Old 04-18-2005, 05:50 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: What a great day!

that was a helofaday!! congrats on the wrench project!

Old 04-18-2005, 12:36 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds awesome whiplush. Now just post some pics of the new stuff on the bike so we can see.

Old 04-18-2005, 02:22 PM
whiplush
Tourer

Sounds awesome whiplush. Now just post some pics of the new stuff on the bike so we can see.
I have a few more parts coming Tuesday, I'll get some pics up when I get everything on. Then I gotta chill, I'm spending too much money![sm=smiley4.gif]

Old 04-18-2005, 03:24 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Howdy Whip, glad that you had a good day even though you missed the ralley. It would have been nice to see all those old bikes and talk to somebody like you had the chance to.

Old 04-18-2005, 03:49 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: whiplush

I have a few more parts coming Tuesday, I'll get some pics up when I get everything on. Then I gotta chill, I'm spending too much money![sm=smiley4.gif]

Man I here ya I need a second job.

Sounds like a great day.Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-19-2005, 02:52 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

Whiplush,

When you put the lower chrome sliders on there, you didn't have any problems? I want to do this next weekend, I've been putting it off, it seems like a big job and I've heard you need to be pretty careful with the springs in there, as you can get hurt...true? Got any advice for me before I start it?

Mac

Old 04-19-2005, 03:18 PM
whiplush
Tourer

When you put the lower chrome sliders on there, you didn't have any problems? I want to do this next weekend, I've been putting it off, it seems like a big job and I've heard you need to be pretty careful with the springs in there, as you can get hurt...true? Got any advice for me before I start it?
I would have to say not true as far as a softail is concerned. Just have it on a jack or lift, loosen the very top nuts on the trees, take off the caliper, then the fender and wheel (whichever order works best on the fender/wheel), then loosen the nuts in the front bottom of the trees and each fork will slide right out when you take the top nut out that you loosened earlier. turn the fork upside down to drain the oil out. Take the retainer rings out of the top of the lower fork sliders then I layed mine on the floor and took out the allen screw in the bottom of the lower fork slider. It's metric, I think a 6mm allen, dont use a standard cause you will strip it out, its very tight. Then with a few swift jerks upward they should pop apart.

There was absolutely no pressure on mine that would cause it to fly apart, don't see how they'd hurt you. Maybe if you tried to just take the retainer clip out without taking the sliders off the bike? Of course you can't do that on a softtail cause you can't get to them because of the upper sliders. Oh and you'll want to replace the upper sliders at this time. On my deluxe the originals are already chrome but they look like crap compared to the ones you buy. You can see the spot welds in the factory ones and the new ones are slick as a ribbon.

My seat is here I gotta go!!![sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 04-19-2005, 03:25 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

Whiplush,

Thanks, I sort of followed what you said. I do have the uppers as well, though I'm not worried about that job, it's pretty basic. I'm thinking I'll give it a shot. Worst case, I put it all in the truck and drive it to the dealership, though I don't think that will be a problem.

Mac

Old 04-19-2005, 11:06 PM
whiplush
Tourer

Just went to your page and noticed you had an Electra Glide and a hot wife. As long as you can get the fairing off to reveal the bolts that tighten the lower trees to the forks you'll have no problems I'm sure. Good luck with the project and lemme know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: What a great day!