Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank You Motor Officers!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 12:23 PM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Thank You Motor Officers!!!!!

I was blasting on the interstate this morning on my way to work at 85mph today when I see another scoot closing in on me fast. Yep, it was a motor officer. He just blew right by me. I have had this happen to me more times than I can remember. If I was in my cage, I would have been pulled over for sure. The motor officers tend to overlook a speeding 2 wheeler around here in California more than they would a cage, and for that I am grateful. With all the money that Arnold needs, I am glad I have not been ticketed. If they really wanted to stick it to me, they could ticket me for illegal exhaust and use of a novelty helmet (non-DOT). I know California has a bad rap for all our stupid laws and regs, but at least the motor officers here in my area excercise a little discretion.

Do any of you notice the same trend or have different experiences in your area?

ohhhh....I must not forget to say this. Before the HDF Safety Police jumps on me for speeding and/or wearing a non-DOT helmet, step away from your scoot and plant your but in the safe confines of a cage and allow me to wear and ride how I see fit. Thanks........

Old 04-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Xuallus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we don't have bike cops here (cept bicycle cops in the summer), and the ones in cages like to take any opportunity to pull over a biker.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:28 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Around my area of Fla. the Motor Cops will ticket their mothers. Much worse then the cage boys.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:30 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

In the area of FL I am in. They are Liberal to a degree can get away with 5-10 MPH over the limit unless showboating. Weaving in and out and making excess noise will find the bubblegum machine flashing quickly behind you.. But more than once have had a LEO close by and never been pulled over for quickly getting out of ones blind spot and finding My Space again ...

Old 04-29-2009, 12:31 PM
rogerfromco
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by honestbob
Around my area of Fla. the Motor Cops will ticket their mothers. Much worse then the cage boys.
x2 in Denver. They sit on the on/off ramps & side streets with radar guns and work in pairs to pull over speeders.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:39 PM
nhbouncer
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I find in my local city atleast that after 10 years of working inside pretty much every bar/club in the city I know most of the LEO's in the area and I just get a wave from them. I did get stopped one night doing 60 in a 30 area at 3AM on my way to help a broken down buddy, as the office approached he realized who it was. When he got to me he told me to slow down and that he'd see me next weekend as he was working detail at the club. I went on my way with out so much as pulling out my ID.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:40 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior

Same trend here man. Motor cops in LA are totally cool to bikers.

I rode with two LAPD officers Sunday night (off-duty of course) to a couple of t*tty bars along with some other friends from the dealer. I met them through my buddy who's the sales guy at my dealer. We burned every red light and were avg'ing around 65 mph on the streets. One of their bikes was louder than mine. They are around my age, 27, so they are young, but they're not punks and they don't write too many tickets, unless you do something stupid or are a jacka$$ in front of them.

We always have convos about other cops when we ride together. Most LA cops don't care if you have illegal pipes, non DOT helmet (both of them wore novelties just like mine), etc. Some can be PITAs but for the most part, they ride what we ride...with that said, they don't like crotch rockets.

In the end, they're just reg dudes out to have a good time too. And yes, one of the perks of being a cop is to be able to do what we did without punishment.

We do have stupid laws, but if they aren't enforeced, they don't mean squat. I have never been hassled on my bike, yet, but I get hassled in my car ALL the time

Old 04-29-2009, 12:52 PM
travroc
Road Warrior

Hey papadop......looks like you and I spent Sunday night doing the same thing , cept I wasn't with off duty LEO's (not that there is anything wrong with that). Good thing I didn't have to be to work until 10am on Monday. Twas a late night.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:53 PM
frankjake
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh great, you are thanking someone for NOT doing their job. I'm sure if you had your bike at a harley dealer and they decided to overlook something you paid for, you'd be pretty ticked off.

Remember, us taxpayers are paying for a service. These cops have an obligation to enforce the law. And anyone driving down the interstant at 20 miles over the limit shouldn't be overlooked. Sorry man, it's guys like you that give bikers a bad rap and a big reason they are trying to pass the smog law. It's not so much about emissions, it a way to stop or try and stop excessively loud exhaust.

Last edited by frankjake; 05-07-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:58 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LOL - I've had a motorcycle cop intentionally lower the gun when I went riding by.

Quick Reply: Thank You Motor Officers!!!!!