General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank You Motor Officers!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 01:09 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyespy
The Supreme Court has ruled. Police have no duty to protect the individual. Seems you and I can't even agree the sky is blue...

Give it up. They do things differently in Arkansas.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:16 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lincoln33
Here in Arkansas the law specifically says an officer can be held civilly liable and charged criminally for failing to enforce the domestic battery laws, in other words provide protection.

How many time has a person charged with a domestic violence offense gotten out of jail and gone back to do more harm?

Several, you say?

And out of those, how many times were you sued for not keeping him in jail and protecting the victim?

None, you say? Hmmm.

Look, we do agree that any officer worth his salt is going to do his level best to protect someone. That's a given.

But there is just no mandate forcing the issue. If there were, your department would have to hire an officer to stand in front of every house to protect those people while they're asleep. And if they didn't, and something happened to those people, the department would be held criminal and civilly liable. The police can not be every place at the same time, nor can they protect all the people all the time. THAT is why there is no such mandate, and, that's why our forefathers came up with things like the 2nd Ammendment and the "right to self defense".

And stop looking at my underwear!

Old 04-30-2009, 01:17 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by tinman67
a lot of states have now changed their seatbelt laws to primary violations due to stricter regs from the Fed. As for the cell phone, I don't know, but damn, the way they're swerving in and out of their lane while they talk on the phone, put on their make-up, take notes on their conversation, drink their coffee and eat their doughnut all at the same time should be violation enough to pull em over and ticket them.

It's a primary violation here too. But it took about 5 years for them to upgrade it from a secondary violation.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Haulen Ass
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rogerfromco
x2 in Denver. They sit on the on/off ramps & side streets with radar guns and work in pairs to pull over speeders.
Not moto cops but cage cops, they pull that same move here in Rochester

Old 04-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyespy
The Supreme Court has ruled. Police have no duty to protect the individual. Seems you and I can't even agree the sky is blue...
If you would just admit that I'm right we would have something to agree on

Old 04-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Give it up. They do things differently in Arkansas.
I dont make the laws I just do my best to enforce them
Originally Posted by DannyZ71
How many time has a person charged with a domestic violence offense gotten out of jail and gone back to do more harm?

Several, you say?

And out of those, how many times were you sued for not keeping him in jail and protecting the victim?

None, you say? Hmmm.

Look, we do agree that any officer worth his salt is going to do his level best to protect someone. That's a given.

But there is just no mandate forcing the issue. If there were, your department would have to hire an officer to stand in front of every house to protect those people while they're asleep. And if they didn't, and something happened to those people, the department would be held criminal and civilly liable. The police can not be every place at the same time, nor can they protect all the people all the time. THAT is why there is no such mandate, and, that's why our forefathers came up with things like the 2nd Ammendment and the "right to self defense".

And stop looking at my underwear!
I agree that we cant always be every where all the time but there are circumstances where we have to take protective action and if we dont we pay the price civily. All though I dont know any officers personally that have been sued for failure to protect I know of a couple officers in my department that served lengthy suspensions for failure to make an arrest under our current domestic laws that require it.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:05 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerfromco
x2 in Denver. They sit on the on/off ramps & side streets with radar guns and work in pairs to pull over speeders.
Originally Posted by DSnoopy
LOL - I've had a motorcycle cop intentionally lower the gun when I went riding by.
I have yet to get a good feel for the bike cops here in the Springs. During the day they'll be lined up and down I-25 (and Powers and Nevada as well) with the guns up ready to pull over the first offender...but so far I've only seen cars pulled over...no bikes. I try not to push over 70 whether in the cage or on the bike, and so far I've been fine.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

If you would just admit that I'm right we would have something to agree on
Now that's actually pretty damn funny LOL, and I would admit it, cept that you're wrong Carry on!

Old 04-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

I dont make the laws I just do my best to enforce them

I agree that we cant always be every where all the time but there are circumstances where we have to take protective action and if we dont we pay the price civily. All though I dont know any officers personally that have been sued for failure to protect I know of a couple officers in my department that served lengthy suspensions for failure to make an arrest under our current domestic laws that require it.
Hey Lincoln, read this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/po.../28scotus.html

Ok, now come back at me with how I'm wrong

Old 04-30-2009, 03:21 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Ya im in socal also...and ive never had a problem with cops on bikes...and yes i like too follow em and split lanes behind them.....

Quick Reply: Thank You Motor Officers!!!!!