Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank You Motor Officers!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 09:20 PM
tinman67
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a lot of states have now changed their seatbelt laws to primary violations due to stricter regs from the Fed. As for the cell phone, I don't know, but damn, the way they're swerving in and out of their lane while they talk on the phone, put on their make-up, take notes on their conversation, drink their coffee and eat their doughnut all at the same time should be violation enough to pull em over and ticket them.
Originally Posted by DannyZ71
I agree with you 100 %. But here is a possible problem. And that's the way the new law is written. Here, we have no such law. But when they first passed the seat belt law, it could not be a primary violation. In other words, an LEO had to see some sort of traffic violation before he could pull the vehicle over. And only then could the LEO also issue a citation for the seat belt violation. It was that way for a good number of years before they changed it so a seat belt could be a primary violation. This could possibly be the reason they're not actively enforcing that new law. It may require a primary violation be observed first. You'd have to check on how the new law is written.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
It may be a Department mission statement, which is about as valuable as my used underwear, but there is no legal mandate to do so. You won't find it in any ordinance or statute. Most jurisdictions don't want the liability that goes with that.
In plain and simple english it is the responsibility of all police officers to protect people as well as their property. Your required "mandate" has been established through the court system that has held officers and departments criminally and civilly liable for failing to act or protect when able to do so. Your wrong on this one Z, now go buy you some new underwear and get over it.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:52 PM
Pablo22
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by travroc
I was blasting on the interstate this morning on my way to work at 85mph today when I see another scoot closing in on me fast. Yep, it was a motor officer. He just blew right by me. I have had this happen to me more times than I can remember. If I was in my cage, I would have been pulled over for sure. The motor officers tend to overlook a speeding 2 wheeler around here in California more than they would a cage, and for that I am grateful. With all the money that Arnold needs, I am glad I have not been ticketed. If they really wanted to stick it to me, they could ticket me for illegal exhaust and use of a novelty helmet (non-DOT). I know California has a bad rap for all our stupid laws and regs, but at least the motor officers here in my area excercise a little discretion.

Do any of you notice the same trend or have different experiences in your area?

ohhhh....I must not forget to say this. Before the HDF Safety Police jumps on me for speeding and/or wearing a non-DOT helmet, step away from your scoot and plant your but in the safe confines of a cage and allow me to wear and ride how I see fit. Thanks........
I've had this happen on the 15 and 91 - the 60 fwy (Rubidoux Area), however, has a resident **** CHP motor officer. If you are in a Club or look as though you might be, he'll get you. I had a good time with him - he called me a scumbag and told me to F@ck Off! Servin and Protectin!!! By the way - no ticket, goin the speed limit - purely a harASSment stop due to my "clothes."

Last edited by Pablo22; 04-30-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:29 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Originally Posted by Lincoln33
In plain and simple english it is the responsibility of all police officers to protect people as well as their property. Your required "mandate" has been established through the court system that has held officers and departments criminally and civilly liable for failing to act or protect when able to do so. Your wrong on this one Z, now go buy you some new underwear and get over it.
There is not single law enforcement agency in this country that possesses any duty to protect you, or any other individual. The same is true of their representatives and agents, including law enforcement officers. Were you or anyone on your behalf to challenge this legally, the officers and agencies would have the ruling of the SCOTUS to back them up.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:33 AM
Devil Dog
Tourer

Here we go again........

Old 04-30-2009, 12:35 AM
Pablo22
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyespy
There is not single law enforcement agency in this country that possesses any duty to protect you, or any other individual. The same is true of their representatives and agents, including law enforcement officers. Were you or anyone on your behalf to challenge this legally, the officers and agencies would have the ruling of the SCOTUS to back them up.
It's true - it's Harass and Intimidate - that's the only duty!

Old 04-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Eyespy
You obviously have not been keeping up with civil litigation and court precedence. Officers and departments have been held accountable for failing to protect victims or potential victims, for example domestic abuse victims. Several departments have paid out large settlements after being found liable for not providing or attempting to provide some kind of protection. States have enacted laws that require the police officer to affect an arrest even when the domestic battery victim doesn't want to prosecute. Here in Arkansas the law specifically says an officer can be held civilly liable and charged criminally for failing to enforce the domestic battery laws, in other words provide protection.
I don't feel constrained by these laws or feel the need to challenge them. I personally believe it's a police officers duty to make every effort to protect the public even when it's from themselves.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Devil Dog
Here we go again........
Yep I just cant help myself,

Old 04-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Originally Posted by Lincoln33
You obviously have not been keeping up with civil litigation and court precedence. Officers and departments have been held accountable for failing to protect victims or potential victims, for example domestic abuse victims. Several departments have paid out large settlements after being found liable for not providing or attempting to provide some kind of protection. States have enacted laws that require the police officer to affect an arrest even when the domestic battery victim doesn't want to prosecute. Here in Arkansas the law specifically says an officer can be held civilly liable and charged criminally for failing to enforce the domestic battery laws, in other words provide protection.
I don't feel constrained by these laws or feel the need to challenge them. I personally believe it's a police officers duty to make every effort to protect the public even when it's from themselves.
The Supreme Court has ruled. Police have no duty to protect the individual. Seems you and I can't even agree the sky is blue...

Old 04-30-2009, 12:40 PM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

sounds like that would've been an expensive ticket too.

Quick Reply: Thank You Motor Officers!!!!!