Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank You Motor Officers!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 03:43 PM
sealbeachbum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by travroc
I was blasting on the interstate this morning on my way to work at 85mph today when I see another scoot closing in on me fast. Yep, it was a motor officer. He just blew right by me. I have had this happen to me more times than I can remember. If I was in my cage, I would have been pulled over for sure. The motor officers tend to overlook a speeding 2 wheeler around here in California more than they would a cage, and for that I am grateful. With all the money that Arnold needs, I am glad I have not been ticketed. If they really wanted to stick it to me, they could ticket me for illegal exhaust and use of a novelty helmet (non-DOT). I know California has a bad rap for all our stupid laws and regs, but at least the motor officers here in my area excercise a little discretion.

Do any of you notice the same trend or have different experiences in your area?

ohhhh....I must not forget to say this. Before the HDF Safety Police jumps on me for speeding and/or wearing a non-DOT helmet, step away from your scoot and plant your but in the safe confines of a cage and allow me to wear and ride how I see fit. Thanks........
Same thing for me also in SoCal. Every morning I'm heading north on the 405 in the car pool lane with my cruise control set on 80 mph and I always see a motorcycle headlight approaching rapidly behind me so I scoot over to the left side of the lane. It's always a CHP motor cop. He passes me doing about 100 mph and he always gives me the Harley salute.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:49 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sawinwa
I just wish the traffic laws that they'd enforce more were the ones like ticketing people for talking on cellphones while driving! (Up in WA they have a recent new law prohibiting cell phone use if not "hands free" while driving). Some more visibility on offenses like that might help make the roads more safe for us riders.

But that new reg hasn't been enforced in the least... practically every teenager and SUV-driving soccer mom is paying 90% of their on-road attention to their phonecall, while sliding thru intersections, changing lanes w/o looking or w/o signals, running red lights, etc. It's one of those additive regulations... if they pull you over for something else, they can tack this offense on too. Like seat belts.

Gotta ride defensively, folks!

I agree with you 100 %. But here is a possible problem. And that's the way the new law is written. Here, we have no such law. But when they first passed the seat belt law, it could not be a primary violation. In other words, an LEO had to see some sort of traffic violation before he could pull the vehicle over. And only then could the LEO also issue a citation for the seat belt violation. It was that way for a good number of years before they changed it so a seat belt could be a primary violation. This could possibly be the reason they're not actively enforcing that new law. It may require a primary violation be observed first. You'd have to check on how the new law is written.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:56 PM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
I agree with you 100 %. But here is a possible problem. And that's the way the new law is written. Here, we have no such law. But when they first passed the seat belt law, it could not be a primary violation. In other words, an LEO had to see some sort of traffic violation before he could pull the vehicle over. And only then could the LEO also issue a citation for the seat belt violation. It was that way for a good number of years before they changed it so a seat belt could be a primary violation. This could possibly be the reason they're not actively enforcing that new law. It may require a primary violation be observed first. You'd have to check on how the new law is written.
I do not believe that is the case for seat belts nor cell phones here in CA, but I can be wrong. I think you can be pulled over for either without any other violation. Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:18 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by travroc
I do not believe that is the case for seat belts nor cell phones here in CA, but I can be wrong. I think you can be pulled over for either without any other violation. Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Yup, they can pull you over for both without any other violations...

I've been pulled over 4 times for just a seatbelt. I've been ticketed twice. I just tell them to write the ticket. I'm not ok with it, but I don't argue with them either. Once they write the ticket, I ask them if they were having a busy day because obviously they seemed pretty bored to just pull me over for a freakin seatbelt. If I have a deathwish, it should be my choice. Hurting nobody else but myself.

Never been pulled over for a cell phone, cuz you'll prob never see me on one. I HATE talking on the phone, period! But I have 2 friends that have been pulled over for just talking on the cellphone and written up.

I've also been pulled over just for not having a front license plate 3 times. Still don't have one on and neither will I ever. (I'm a car enthusiast as well and don't put them on any of my cars...IMO, it kills the front end of the car, but anywaaaays...) I just tell them to keep writing them. They're just fix it's.

Sorry for the long posts today fellas, I'm really bored at work and you guys are keeping me company all day, so thank you!

Old 04-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Calwoodbutcher
Road Master

Originally Posted by sealbeachbum
Same thing for me also in SoCal. Every morning I'm heading north on the 405 in the car pool lane with my cruise control set on 80 mph and I always see a motorcycle headlight approaching rapidly behind me so I scoot over to the left side of the lane. It's always a CHP motor cop. He passes me doing about 100 mph and he always gives me the Harley salute.
What time you going up that way? I ride the 405 from further south to L.B. a lot of mornings. Hell, we might have seen each other.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:26 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First , you and people like you are part of the problem. You come off as a motorcycle riding cage driver. The volume of my exhaust is not the problem---it is my lack of conformity. Today I heard several other trucks and cars that were louder than either of my bikes. I and people like me are a target because we are easy to see and our numbers, along with our nature make us an easy target for people who fear us or what we represent. Back to the OP's post----Most of the leo's here cut bikers some slack unless the bikers are being stupid. A lot of the Leo's here ride.
Originally Posted by frankjake
oh great, you are thanking someone for NOT doing their job. I'm sure if you had your bike at a harley dealer and they decided to overlook something you paid for, you'd be pretty ticked off.

Remember, us taxpayers are paying for a service. These cops have an obligation to enforce the law. Although I don't like cops, it's still their job to do what they are being paid to do. And anyone driving down the interstant at 20 miles over the limit shouldn't be overlooked. Sorry man, it's guys like you that give bikers a bad rap and a big reason they are trying to pass the smog law. It's not so much about emissins, it a way to stop or try and stop excessively loud exhaust.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:58 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I...But when they first passed the seat belt law, it could not be a primary violation. In other words, an LEO had to see some sort of traffic violation before he could pull the vehicle over...
That is exactly how the laws here in Washington State are written. In order to be ticketed for texting or talking on the cellphone someone has to have done something else. I am really upset that these are "Secondary" offense laws as they are basically useless. I had so hoped when they starting working on this that it would be a primary offense that one could be ticketed for just by virtue of the fact that one was doing it. But no such luck in Washington.

Just the other morning I was driving behind some woman (I Hate women drivers) who was busily texting as she was driving down the road.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

Sorry, it is not an officers responsibility to "serve and protect" you. Stop watching television. An officer's job is to enforce the laws (by arrest or citation), investigate crimes, and testify in court to their findings. Period. There is no mandate, and never has been one, that an officer's primary duty is to protect anyone.
You're wrong on the serve and protect part. The very first paragraph of my Departmental Mission Statement clearly states "The mission of the Police Department is to provide the citizens with a law enforcement system that effectively integrates and utilizes departmental, civic, and community resources, to protect life and property, preserve law and order and enforce state law and city ordinances, within the framework of the Constitution". I'm certain most police departments have a similar Department Mission or philosophy.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:40 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lincoln33
You're wrong on the serve and protect part. The very first paragraph of my Departmental Mission Statement clearly states "The mission of the Police Department is to provide the citizens with a law enforcement system that effectively integrates and utilizes departmental, civic, and community resources, to protect life and property, preserve law and order and enforce state law and city ordinances, within the framework of the Constitution". I'm certain most police departments have a similar Department Mission or philosophy.

It may be a Department mission statement, which is about as valuable as my used underwear, but there is no legal mandate to do so. You won't find it in any ordinance or statute. Most jurisdictions don't want the liability that goes with that.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:14 PM
tinman67
Tourer

I'm sure if it were you who didn't get the ticket you would be just as pissed as you are now right? And you are correct, it's not about "emissins". A smog law is just that, it's not about how loud your pipes are, it's about what comes out the end of them. The EPA regulates the decibel level of pipes on a nationwide basis, and many states, cities and counties follow suit. These are not smog laws, the have nothing to do with emissions, only decibel levels. Two totally different subjects. BTW, I hate drag pipes on a street bike, but I don't run stock pipes either. I have V&H Shortshots with the standard baffles, there was a note that they may not meet the EPA noise pollution regulation. I do 80 on the highway too. Does not matter if I'm in my Chrysler LHS, my Ford F150, which also has modified exhaust, or on my Sporty. I guess I give Chrysler and Ford drivers a bad name. Oh yeah, once got pulled over in Illinois at 3AM on a lonely stretch of I24 near Kentucky in my 85 chevy Nova doing 90+, he let me go and told me to slow it down. Damn, now I just gave Chevy drivers a bad name too. Oh yeah, and I've worked since I was 14, paid taxes since I was 16, now I'm 42. I pay the guy's salary too.
Originally Posted by frankjake
oh great, you are thanking someone for NOT doing their job. I'm sure if you had your bike at a harley dealer and they decided to overlook something you paid for, you'd be pretty ticked off.

Remember, us taxpayers are paying for a service. These cops have an obligation to enforce the law. Although I don't like cops, it's still their job to do what they are being paid to do. And anyone driving down the interstant at 20 miles over the limit shouldn't be overlooked. Sorry man, it's guys like you that give bikers a bad rap and a big reason they are trying to pass the smog law. It's not so much about emissins, it a way to stop or try and stop excessively loud exhaust.

Quick Reply: Thank You Motor Officers!!!!!