Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank You Motor Officers!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 01:39 PM
frankjake
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by papadop88
Loud bikes are not killing anyone or hurting anyone.
I didn't say they were, what I did say is that excessively loud pipes are the reason so many states are enacting smog check laws. You can blame this on the idots so seem to think it's okay to blast down residential streets in the middle of the night.

My buddies, who work Rampart, don't bother with the BS ticky tack traffic violations (which most cops think are BS anyways, but still have to do their jobs). Those guys rather focus on arresting real criminals and having to deal with gangbangers day in and day out.
Beleive what you want. I have family in LE and "we" know it doesn't work like most of us would like to beleive. Besides cops are a little different than the highway patrol. CHP's job is to enforce traffic laws, not go looking for gang bangers, etc. (there is a difference between law enforcement agencies just in case you didn't know).

I live in Oregon, the logging capitol of the world. Not too many tree huggers up here except for the Californians trying to change Oregon. You get in the way of a logger, you won't win.

I don't recall saying I owned a gay a$$ Prius but I do know a few people in CA who do and they are a total POS in my opinion.

Last edited by frankjake; 05-07-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:48 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frankjake
I didn't say they were, what I did say is that excessively loud pipes are the reason so many states are enacting smog check laws. You can blame this on the idots so seem to think it's okay to blast down residential streets in the middle of the night.

Beleive what you want. I have family in LE and "we" know it doesn't work like most of us would like to beleive. Besides real cops are a little different than the highway patrol. CHP's job is to enforce traffic laws, not go looking for gang bangers, etc. (there is a difference between law enforcement agencies just in case you didn't know).

I live in Oregon, the logging capitol of the world. Not too many tree huggers up here except for the Californians trying to change Oregon. You get in the way of a logger, you won't win.

I don't recall saying I owned a Prius but I do know a few people in CA who do and they are a total POS in my opinion.
Thats a whole other subject that we discuss all the time and we can have for days, and I bet we would agree on everything discussed. The red tape, BS, politics, etc. They say it themselves, that its just a game with criminals...

CHP, different story...although they still use much more discretion on bikers, since they all ride too. They're job is to enforce traffic laws, but they are also part of our same demographic.

Sorry bro, I wasn't saying you had a Prius (highly doubt it if you're posting on this forum), i was just speaking generally...

But I truely believe that the smog check laws are trying to be passed because the state is desperate for money, not because of loud pipes.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:50 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by frankjake
oh great, you are thanking someone for NOT doing their job. I'm sure if you had your bike at a harley dealer and they decided to overlook something you paid for, you'd be pretty ticked off.

Remember, us taxpayers are paying for a service. These cops have an obligation to enforce the law. Although I don't like cops, it's still their job to do what they are being paid to do. And anyone driving down the interstant at 20 miles over the limit shouldn't be overlooked. Sorry man, it's guys like you that give bikers a bad rap and a big reason they are trying to pass the smog law. It's not so much about emissins, it a way to stop or try and stop excessively loud exhaust.
Give me a friggin break! So you NEVER speed or do ANYTHING ELSE that's illegal when you're driving, whether it be knowingly or otherwise? And if you did happen to look down at your speedo and noticed that you were five or six miles over you'd PREFER that the cop stopped you and ticketed you? And now to support your whole above statement you're going to reply by saying "Of course I'd expect him to write me a ticket", but everybody here knows that's not true.

All people exercise discretion, it's part of human nature. And if a police officer chooses to not ticket me for a minor violation I'll appreciate it, not comdemn him for it. I'm with you poppadop.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:53 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member

for the most part if you aren't doing something stupidly out of line they would rather go after the next person who is..until you get into the smaller towns around here then you better beware

Old 04-29-2009, 01:54 PM
redling36
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I was driving my Ford Explorer one night when a motorcycle keeps getting closer and closer in my mirror as he gets closer I keep speeding because he looks like maybe he is drunk and going to run into the back of me. Finally at about 90mph the blue light come on, it's cop. I told him I thought he was too close and possibly drunk why else would somebody keep speeding up on an SUV and put himself in a dangerous position when he could have easily passed me miles back. He looked at my Harley hat and sent me on my way.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:58 PM
frankjake
Road Master

But I truely believe that the smog check laws are trying to be passed because the state is desperate for money, not because of loud pipes.
Ok, thought you were bashing me personally.

I know they are hurting for money and you are probably right about that. But I'v heard some of it is loud pipes. And again, I have nothing against loud pipes. I have one too!

But this will give cops just one more thing to "ticket" us for if this law passes. It will no longer be about how loud the pipe is (they can't really measure sound without some type of meter) but if a biker has any type of mod done to his exhaust, the cop can legally give a ticket. Which of course would make more money for that state. I HATE to see laws like this enacted. And eventhough I no longer live in CA, I still have family there and could move back there someday. Who knows.
So I am doing what I can to help NOT get this law passed. Sorry I got off on this instead of the original topic.

And thanks for the clairification. Take care man.

Last edited by frankjake; 05-07-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:02 PM
frankjake
Road Master

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
Give me a friggin break! So you NEVER speed or do ANYTHING ELSE that's illegal when you're driving, whether it be knowingly or otherwise? And if you did happen to look down at your speedo and noticed that you were five or six miles over you'd PREFER that the cop stopped you and ticketed you? And now to support your whole above statement you're going to reply by saying "Of course I'd expect him to write me a ticket", but everybody here knows that's not true.

All people exercise discretion, it's part of human nature. And if a police officer chooses to not ticket me for a minor violation I'll appreciate it, not comdemn him for it. I'm with you poppadop.
Of course I do, everybody does. But the guy was going 20 miles an hour OVER the limit. I'm sure you would have a different tune if he caused an accident that killed your wife and kids. He wasn't going 5 or 10 miles over like you mention.

And yeah, I do have a problem with any government employee that doesn't do thier job. At the very least, the guy should have been pulled over and warnned. The way it is now, he thinks he can get away with it all the time. With a warning, he would at least be aware that the cops ARE watching.

Last edited by frankjake; 04-29-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:12 PM
sawinwa
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
...But their sole purpose is to enforce traffic laws. And while there is no quota, a motor officer not putting out 100 % effort will soon find himself in a cage working the night shift in Fort Apache. So most will do a "good job" so they can stay on their day shift with weekends off, and get to ride a bike too boot.
I just wish the traffic laws that they'd enforce more were the ones like ticketing people for talking on cellphones while driving! (Up in WA they have a recent new law prohibiting cell phone use if not "hands free" while driving). Some more visibility on offenses like that might help make the roads more safe for us riders.

But that new reg hasn't been enforced in the least... practically everyone is paying 90% of their on-road attention to their phonecall, while sliding thru intersections, changing lanes w/o looking or w/o signals, running red lights, etc. It's one of those additive regulations... if they pull you over for something else, they can tack this offense on too. Like seat belts.

Gotta ride defensively, folks!

Last edited by sawinwa; 12-05-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:25 PM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As far as im concerned there's to many COPPERS around. When you need them, THERE NOW WHERE TO BE FOUND. I always get the ROOKIES, the real ARROGANT ****** out to prove some thing. It's a no win situation!

Old 04-29-2009, 03:40 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

NM state police ride BMW, and have no mercy on anyone. They travel to major cities and work the traffic hard.

Quick Reply: Thank You Motor Officers!!!!!