Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank You Motor Officers!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Calwoodbutcher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So. Cal here too. I love to follow motor officers on the freeway. Safe way to travel. They all speed and split lanes. I drop in behind them cuise. The traffic moves aside for them like the parting of the Red Sea.

Chill out there, Frank. Some laws are just plain negotiable.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:15 PM
travroc
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by frankjake
oh great, you are thanking someone for NOT doing their job. I'm sure if you had your bike at a harley dealer and they decided to overlook something you paid for, you'd be pretty ticked off.

Remember, us taxpayers are paying for a service. These cops have an obligation to enforce the law. Although I don't like cops, it's still their job to do what they are being paid to do. And anyone driving down the interstant at 20 miles over the limit shouldn't be overlooked. Sorry man, it's guys like you that give bikers a bad rap and a big reason they are trying to pass the smog law. It's not so much about emissins, it a way to stop or try and stop excessively loud exhaust.
For the record, I was not thanking them for not doing their job. I was thanking them for using discretion before pulling me over and ticketing me for a traffic citation, which is well within their right and an officer. Now if I was riding wrecklessly and putting others in harms way, I could see your point, but that was not the case.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:19 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by frankjake
oh great, you are thanking someone for NOT doing their job. I'm sure if you had your bike at a harley dealer and they decided to overlook something you paid for, you'd be pretty ticked off.

Remember, us taxpayers are paying for a service. These cops have an obligation to enforce the law. Although I don't like cops, it's still their job to do what they are being paid to do. And anyone driving down the interstant at 20 miles over the limit shouldn't be overlooked. Sorry man, it's guys like you that give bikers a bad rap and a big reason they are trying to pass the smog law. It's not so much about emissins, it a way to stop or try and stop excessively loud exhaust.
I agree with you. As a taxpayer, I too want to see services I pay for. They're job is to serve and protect us. But I don't see nothing wrong with having a loud bike. How I see it is, if you don't like my bike because its loud, I don't like your gay a$$ Prius because its quiet! Loud bikes are not killing anyone or hurting anyone.

My buddies, who work Rampart, don't bother with the BS ticky tack traffic violations (which most cops think are BS anyways, but still have to do their jobs). Those guys rather focus on arresting real criminals and having to deal with gangbangers day in and day out. THATS where I want my taxes going towards...NOT towards cracking down on someone's loud pipes or non-dot helmet, etc. because some tree hugger "thinks" its bad for the environment.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:19 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you sure he didn't just have to take a pi$$ really bad?

Old 04-29-2009, 01:24 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Some of you guys need to remember that tickets are the primary reason motor officers exist. That's their only function, to work traffic. They don't get sent to domestics, disturbances, fights, burglaries, and robberies as primary or even backup officers (unless other officers are tied up). They will also sometimes show up to those types of "in-progress" calls if they are close by and hear it go out.

But their sole purpose is to enforce traffic laws. And while there is no quota, a motor officer not putting out 100 % effort will soon find himself in a cage working the night shift in Fort Apache. So most will do a "good job" so they can stay on their day shift with weekends off, and get to ride a bike too boot.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:26 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by papadop88
I agree with you. As a taxpayer, I too want to see services I pay for. They're job is to serve and protect us. But I don't see nothing wrong with having a loud bike. How I see it is, if you don't like my bike because its loud, I don't like your gay a$$ Prius because its quiet! Loud bikes are not killing anyone or hurting anyone.

My buddies, who work Rampart, don't bother with the BS ticky tack traffic violations (which most cops think are BS anyways, but still have to do their jobs). Those guys rather focus on arresting real criminals and having to deal with gangbangers day in and day out. THATS where I want my taxes going towards...NOT towards cracking down on someone's loud pipes or non-dot helmet, etc. because some tree hugger "thinks" its bad for the environment.

Sorry, it is not an officers responsibility to "serve and protect" you. Stop watching television. An officer's job is to enforce the laws (by arrest or citation), investigate crimes, and testify in court to their findings. Period. There is no mandate, and never has been one, that an officer's primary duty is to protect anyone.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:27 PM
travroc
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by petemac
Are you sure he didn't just have to take a pi$$ really bad?
No, he must have been late to his morning meeting at the donut shop.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:27 PM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

With PA cops its hit or miss. Some of the small towns I go threw I have to be on my toes. Make too much noise or 5 miles over the limit and you'll be pulled up on the curb. State Troopers are pretty cool when it comes to bikes. I've blasted by one last year doinf 80mph in a 65. He never pulled out but, had I been in a car, I would have been toast!

Old 04-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Slowpoke84
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been pulled over 3 times in my life. Most recently for doing 73 in a 60 on I-5 here in WA (on the Harley). I've always been respectful, "Yes, Sir. No, Sir. Thank you, Sir." I've never gotten any more than just a verbal warning. No tickets, no written warnings. I think that has actually kept me more in check with my speeding than having to pay a ticket. Once I've gotten a ticket, no big deal if I get another one. But, for now, I want to strive to stay ticket free as long as I can.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:39 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Sorry, it is not an officers responsibility to "serve and protect" you. Stop watching television. An officer's job is to enforce the laws (by arrest or citation), investigate crimes, and testify in court to their findings. Period. There is no mandate, and never has been one, that an officer's primary duty is to protect anyone.
um, last time I checked "serving" is doing all that you just mentioned above.

Quick Reply: Thank You Motor Officers!!!!!