General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your closest call

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Beercan321
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Your closest call

Every rider experiences close calls every now and then that are real eye opener. The close call could be something you caused or something that was beyond your control. What is a recent close call that happened to you while on the bike?

My close call just happened recently. I was riding an unfamiliar road and approached a four way intersection. I looked around and thought it was a 4-way stop. I stopped then made a right. It turns out the intersection was a 3-way stop, not a 4-way. A car was flying down the road and nearly rear ended me. I assumed the car had a stop sign but they didn’t. The driver was not happy. I was very upset with myself. I am always very cautious and ride defensively. I was very mad at myself for assuming the car had to stop when they didn’t. It was definitely an experience I learned from.

So what was a close call that was a mistake on your part or caused by someone else?

Old 04-28-2009, 07:35 PM
hagger
Banned
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Always make sure the other guy is gonna stop! Even if they do have a stop sign. I try to do that even if I don't have a sign. Seen some nasty wrecks caused by stop sign runners!

Old 04-28-2009, 07:56 PM
Tao3535
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I rode through an intersection an MG convertable pulled out making a right turn. I know he didn't see me, he barely even looked. I was expecting the move so I laid on the horn and goosed the thottle right next to him and rode off shaking my head. He was so startled that he had to pull off the road to regain his composure. He later pulled up along side me at a stop light further down and and said he was SO sorry he never saw me. I told him it happens, noone was hurt, and please be more careful.

Never let your guard down and let 'em know you're coming.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:00 PM
Scooter68
Road Master

Last summer i ahd one I was making a left hand turn in one of those tunring lanes that have two turning lanes, I was in the outside lane. Heavy traffic and all, I completed the turn and started to accelerate past a few cars and the third one just abruptly, without signal swerved over in to my lane, causing me to hit the horn and lock the rear brakes up quite a bit. None the less I speed up to him down the road and he wouldn't even look at me. I just shook my head and road off.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:09 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Smile

Yesterday on 95 North of Philly, in 2nd lane behind tractor trailer when I hear a tire let go. About that time gator pieces start flying and I was dodging them. I got over to the right lane and slowed. About 3 miles later the truck pulls off, as I am going buy, I am hollering, right rear....

Old 04-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Tao3535
Road Captain

Originally Posted by luc.who
Yesterday on 95 North of Philly, in 2nd lane behind tractor trailer when I hear a tire let go. About that time gator pieces start flying and I was dodging them. I got over to the right lane and slowed. About 3 miles later the truck pulls off, as I am going buy, I am hollering, right rear....
Truckers too cheap to buy new tires and don't care who the retreads hit when they fly off.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:27 PM
bigjames19
Outstanding HDF Member

Pulling out of a parking lot making a left turn when some else decided from opposite side of road to pull out I had to go onto oncoming lane to avoid being hit. This happened last week I puckered real well and thanked god there were no other cars in the oncoming lane!

Old 04-28-2009, 08:38 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been hit a couple of times over the years...the last one about 6/7 years ago was an SUV who ran a 4way stop on me...totalled the bike, separated my right shoulder, cracked a couple of ribs, and broke my right ankle and left me a 3" screw in there for a souvenir...but closest call was a couple of summers ago, when I was on a twisty 2 lane running along the river at night...deer are rampant along there, so I'm always careful...I was hugging the center line to leave me an opening either way, when Bambi's Dad came running across the road on my left...came down hard on both brakes and I know I was counting the hair on this thing's side...missed it by inches, and I know for certain if I hadn't been hugging the line, I'd have broadsided the thing...I still had about 50 miles to get home, and I think every mailbox looked like something ready to run in front of me...my *** was puckered on the seat, for sure...

Old 04-28-2009, 08:42 PM
NOLAMike
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long bike trip two up. Two-lane hiway in rural area. Two deer hopped out of the woods onto the road right in front of us. Hard brake, let off brakes and swerved behind them, pulled over and collected ourselves. Whew

Old 04-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Two lane 45mph winding city road. Car in front slows down and puts on right turn signal so I start to go around him on the left when he turns left right in front of me. Locked it up and missed him by inches. Heart was still pounding twenty minutes later. Never trust them turn signals too much anymore.

Quick Reply: Your closest call