General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stone Lake Leather Jacket

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:42 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kromdom
why not wait till you get to Korea and buy a jacket there? good deals to be had at Osan
And in TDC, Toko-ri, and Itaewon. best quality

Old 04-27-2009, 10:59 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

could always wait until you get there and have one custom made to fit you. when i was there (99-2000) you could have a good leather jacket made for less than 200 bucks. something to think about.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:06 AM
Haywired
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live about 15 miles from Stone Lake but have never seen the product in person. I've been on the web page and did not recognize the guy and I've lived in the area all my life. I've been planning on taking a run down there if you want to wait and see what I think of them. Driving all the way from Michigan seems a bit of a long way to go looking for an unknown. I'll try to get down there in the next few days.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:42 AM
rickoshay45
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I'm sure the prices are higher than they were when I did 3 years at the "Kun" in the 70's, the idea of getting one made is good. That way you can get it just the way you like. Research the net for styles and features and get pics of what you like. Show them the pics and they can make it.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:57 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kromdom
why not wait till you get to Korea and buy a jacket there? good deals to be had at Osan
Makes Sense to me ..

Old 04-28-2009, 06:19 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, you can get anything custom made in Korea. And they'll sew whatever label in it you like.

When you get caught out in the rain and water comes through every seam, and the sleeves fall off the next morning because the cheap thread rotted out, and the rain washed the shoe polish off a couple of pieces that were originally brown, and the zipper oxidizes and breaks, just remind yourself of what a good deal you got.

In Korea you can get custom suits, custom shoes, custom hats, custom sneakers ("Nikes," even). And it's all good stuff, if you just think of it as disposable. New guys ("turtles") always went crazy getting custom stuff. Best to save your money and take advantage of the super cheap prices at the PX (cheaper than stateside--TVs, etc.).

Schott, Fox Creek, Vanson, etc. have nothing to worry about.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:29 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kilo6
Gents, I got orders to Korea this summer for three years. This means I need a good leather jacket for riding or at least that's what I told my wife. Since I'm off next week I was thinking about riding to Stone Lake Leather Works, Stone Lake, Wis to pick up a jacket. Anyone use these? I'll probably also wear it when not riding. Thoughts? Thanks.

http://www.stonelakeleatherworks.com/jackets.htm
You've already got lots of good advice on the jacket, apparently the tailors over there are still alive and thriving...but I gotta say you get all my sympathy for doin' 3 years in Korea...I was over there with 55th Army Aviation in 70-71, and I have never been that cold before or since! And you're gonna love monsoon season! Good luck to you, and thanks for serving...

Old 04-28-2009, 08:49 AM
10ring
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kilo6
Gents, I got orders to Korea this summer for three years. This means I need a good leather jacket for riding or at least that's what I told my wife. Since I'm off next week I was thinking about riding to Stone Lake Leather Works, Stone Lake, Wis to pick up a jacket. Anyone use these? I'll probably also wear it when not riding. Thoughts? Thanks.

http://www.stonelakeleatherworks.com/jackets.htm
I have a pair of the bib overalls they make. This is some of the best leatherwork I've ever seen. This small company is very quality/service oriented. They first sent me a pair to try for size. After checking for changes I might need , they custom made a pair with a removable liner. The zippers are very heavy duty, as is the leather. My wife plans to order a pair for next winter.
As others have said , the jacket style looks a bit "off-road enduro/ retro-tourer" to me but I have no doubt that it is a very practical and well made garment. If you like the 70's throwback helmet styles you should love this jacket. OlympiaSports makes a similar looking style for the synthetic crowd.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:20 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,539 Likes on 932 Posts

This screams vinyl king!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

His quality is top notch and he stands behind his products.. His style is different, but his stuff wears like iron. His bib over pants are a decent buy too and he makes them with or with out insulation.

Quick Reply: Stone Lake Leather Jacket