General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bye Bye Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:13 PM
rydermike
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it will be replace by a Tour Glide that has all the bells & whistles the Ultra has , is what I would had preffered to buy when I bought my Ultra.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Rocko Rock
Intermediate

Hate to hear it, I really dig the RG's. I love my Road King but everybody and their brother has one. Thats not the case with Road Glides.

Last edited by Rocko Rock; 04-27-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:24 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't like the stationary fairing, I like everything turning together. Maybe a lot of people feel the same.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:00 PM
hfd13
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i spent the day friday at the dealer. i did ask about it and he said no! just some changes to it. but did say yes to the other models going bye bye. and that they are the last to know this stuff. so he says. true or not we'll see

Old 04-27-2009, 09:38 PM
myfhfb06
Tourer

Originally Posted by streeteagle
Don't like the stationary fairing, I like everything turning together. Maybe a lot of people feel the same.
I agree

Old 04-27-2009, 09:44 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think that shark nose is fugly. The batwing just seems more Harley to me. But then I rode an RG. Wow. It was pretty nice.

If I were in a position to ride across America 15 times a year, I'd certainly go for one of those.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:56 PM
IrishHarleymin
Advanced

I never liked the the Road Glide, but it has grew on me, so much now that I want one. I think the 09 CVO is what did it too me.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Dustball
Road Master

Originally Posted by streeteagle
Frankly, if it was a big seller the moco would have kept it around. But it's a fugly bike with that goofy looking shark nose fairing, so it's no wonder it appeals to a very limited segment of the population. In fact I was told that the RG was actually designed for sale on the French market. Look at the French cars and you can see why it would be a hit there. Rumor has it that dealers would include a Jerry Lewis boxed DVD set with each RG purchase. OK, I made that up.

Anyway, a hideous looking bike...not at all sexy like the Road King Classic.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:04 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to see a RG Ultra. Lowers, tour pack, CB/Intercom etc..from the factory Some here have done excellent jobs turning their RG's into RG Ultra's. Factory should get a clue.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:21 PM
smokey422
Advanced

Originally Posted by travroc
Yes, but I believe is was called the Tour Glide back then and brought back with the Road Glide name.
Yep, the Tour Glide was the first rubber mount Harley with an enclosed chain back in 1980. It went to belt drive in 1985 and never was a big seller and was discontinued for a few years in the 90s. Most of the Tour Glide owners I knew were really enthusiastic about them, one being Hazel Kolb, the famous "Motorcycling Grandma" who rode her Harley (a '79 FLH Classic) around the perimeter of the USA. She later converted over to the RG and was a big fan. Most RG owners reported increased fuel mileage over their FLHs, probably because of the more streamlined fairing.

I personally like the idea of increased gas mileage but also love the styling of the Classic and Ultra Classic dressers.

I'd hate to see the RG go the way of the dodo bird, it's too good a bike for that. Another bike I would like to see back is the FXRT. It was really popular with a small group of hards-riding Iron Butt riders across the country. I rode one back in the 80s when the dealer was holding rides of most of their models. That RT had good power (for a stock Harley), handled very well, and had decent ground clearance. The brakes weren't bad but could have been vastly improved with steel braided lines, a modification I made to my '81 Low Rider that was very successful.

I understand the FXRT didn't sell well but it had a loyal following and could have been developed into a really outstanding sport-tourer. At least that's one rider's opinion.

Smokey

Quick Reply: Bye Bye Road Glide