General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rally Tent Camping

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rally Tent Camping

I’ve been thinking about maybe hitting the ROT in Austin this summer and tent camping it. It should be quite warm by that time and I’m curious if anybody has used one of the sleeping bag liners as a summer bag and if one stands out as a better option for summer time?

I’m looking on REI at this one that’s cotton and cheap with a stuff sack:
http://www.rei.com/product/627255

I actually have a nice cold weather Monte Bell Super Stretch that I could use it with in the winter as well and maybe save a little wear and tear.

Which brings me to another question….. How much do I need to worry about theft at a big rally like that? I guess my biggest concern would be that somebody might ****** my detachable rack and take off with whatever is strapped to it. I’ve seen the little locks you can get for them – is that necessary at a rally or am I pretty safe?

I have also contemplated bringing a video camera to the rally and I question if it wouldn’t just be a total drag to have to have it strapped to my neck 24/7?

Thanks!

Old 04-27-2009, 12:28 PM
raporte
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The silk one is better, but costs $55. Not clammy and feels good against the skin. Packs into nothing and wicks sweat. Plus it's rectangular so the legs and feet are happier.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Theft is always a consideration, depending on the camping area you select. I wouldn't leave anything of value (jewlery, passport, etc.), or importance (part of your bike that you'll need for the return) at a camping site while away. I camped at a KOA outside of Rapid City during Sturgis Week, and it was so over crowded that you couldn't tell who your neighbors were or weren't.

After looking at the ROT site, there are a number of off site campgrounds that have cabins for rent. You might want to consider going that route if you've got stuff to lock up.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:07 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been to ROT several times. We will be there this year. Never had a theft problem before but I wouldn't tempt fate by leaving my valuables just laying around. ROT is hot---90 to 98 degrees with humidity around 100 % sometimes. Bring money and shade , drink lots of water also, and stay off of the freeways around Austin during rush hour. My last piece of advice is to not join the parade Friday night--it can be an engine killer. Last year a friend had his bike stolen from his motel.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:20 PM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

You can rent a cabin on the Guadelupe pretty cheap...beats the heck outta sleeping in a tent, on the ground, in the hill country where the ground hard rock. Any small town along the river has cabin rentals.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:31 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I've done ROT both ways, camping and motel. That time of the year is usually just too hot for me to camp out in anymore. I wouldn't be too afraid of theft in the ROT camp ground though. No more so than the Austin motels/hotels! By the way, It's a really good rally any you do it. ---- You will ENJOY it!

Old 04-27-2009, 02:47 PM
BevoJoe
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a sleeping bag that can accommodate ice bags. it's damn hot at the rally. never had a problem with theft, but as others have said, use common sense. if you want the "real" rally and since you mentioned a camera, stay on-site and no hotel/cabin. that way you don't have to drive after the parade. also agree....stay away from downtown the night of the "engine killing" parade. too many riders with "shiny boots" (have ridden a harley for a whole week before the rally)

Old 04-27-2009, 03:08 PM
EasyGT
Cruiser

well depending on how you party u wont even need a tent just a comfy beach chair to pass out on when your done drinkin! i brought a tent and never used it last year

Old 04-27-2009, 03:14 PM
EasyGT
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BevoJoe
get a sleeping bag that can accommodate ice bags. it's damn hot at the rally. never had a problem with theft, but as others have said, use common sense. if you want the "real" rally and since you mentioned a camera, stay on-site and no hotel/cabin. that way you don't have to drive after the parade. also agree....stay away from downtown the night of the "engine killing" parade. too many riders with "shiny boots" (have ridden a harley for a whole week before the rally)
dont forget to stay away from the engine killing camp site parade! its fun to watch but a bitch to ride in

Old 04-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son and I went to the bike races and rally this past weekend and I had a new tent. Went in the pickup so we took alot of stuff. Tent, canopy, chairs, coolers, air mattress, sleeping bags. This was the 2nd time I have camped in a tent at a rally and it "SUCKED" both times. When will I learn. Tent camping just ain't for me. I didn''t take the toyhauler because I had it all ready for the trip to Thunder Beach this coming weekend. I did kind of admire the 2 hard core campers that moved in next to us over night. They parked their bikes aprox 6 ft apart, draped a small tarp between them tied at the forks and at the other end by the taillights and the 2 of them were in sleeping bags on the bare ground under the tarp. Oh, to be young again.

Last edited by Deepsouth251; 04-27-2009 at 03:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Rally Tent Camping