General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help, First harley and tranny troubles

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

One more thing you can try, might work might not. To understand why I'll do some explaining. When Harley made the TwinCamB motor they tried to use the old EVO tranny with it and it wouldn't shift. They discovered that the vibrations of the EVO was helping the tranny shift. If you're at a stop and try to find nuetral if you rev the motor you'll find it a lot easier. See, not all bliping of the throttle is just for fun! So at speed you might try revving the motor and see if that'll help make the bike shift for you.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:34 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,811 Likes on 2,545 Posts

Take the top off then inspect the shifter cam assy and shifting forks if they are okay then look at the dogs on the gears. The indy may be on to something other than lightening your wallet.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Xuallus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
One more thing you can try, might work might not. To understand why I'll do some explaining. When Harley made the TwinCamB motor they tried to use the old EVO tranny with it and it wouldn't shift. They discovered that the vibrations of the EVO was helping the tranny shift. If you're at a stop and try to find nuetral if you rev the motor you'll find it a lot easier. See, not all bliping of the throttle is just for fun! So at speed you might try revving the motor and see if that'll help make the bike shift for you.
+1 to the throttle blips, I've done that on every bike and old manual tranny car I've owned... An old datsun I used to bomb around in had the same issues, a little rpm and she'd slide right into gear. Just got into the habit after that.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:45 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

to get the gears out you have to pull the bearing race off requires a special puller once you pull it off and the top off the whole side door with gears will pull right out

Old 04-28-2009, 07:55 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by steve302
Hello all,
This is my first post and I just got my first harley about 3 months ago. Its a 1987 FXR 32,000 miles. The thing has been going great for the last couple thousand miles.
The Problem: Just started this past weekend, It will not downshift from 5th to 4th over 45-50mph. If I slow down to around 40 everything works like normal I can shift up and down through all the gears. Anything over that I cant get out of fifth gear with out awful grinding. Has anybody experienced this? any ideal on the cause?

Shift forks? Clutch? I adjusted the clutch and it didnt help. I also thought maybe heat was an issue so I took it right on the highway first thing sunday morning and the problem is still there
check shift cam adjustment and or look at shift foks