General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This Makes Me Grumpy

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:25 AM
HeyMoe
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mduggan
This type of post is really starting to bother me. If you don't like the bike, and you think that it is "old school" and "dangerous". Then quit your bitchin and sell it. Go get a boat, or an airplane, or a cage, and have a nice day.
I like the bike, my point is only that HD has't really improved much in 30 years!

If you would like to earn the respect and admiration of your peers, go over to a Yamaha forum and trash Harleys.
Good point.

The vast majority of the people on this forum happen to like their bikes, and believe that they are worth the investment for the return on enjoyment.
ya - tough crowd. Just stating the facts as I see them.

I speak only for myself when I say that I am really not interested in reading about a couple of negative experiences that you have had with bikes over the last three or four decades.
Sorry 'bout that. I thought that's what the forum is all about. I will say this: The brakes should NEVER, EVER fail.

I say this with the utmost respect and admiration for the fact that you are an engineer; be it electrical, mechanical, civil, domestic or sanitary.
I'd appreciate it if you all could keep the personal attacks to a minimum. I haven't attacked anyone personally and had no intention of offending anybody. Whether you like to admit it or not, I have a ton of experience with bikes and I have every right to bitch when I see a problem. THE STINKIN' BRAKES WHERE FALLING OFF ! It's actually funny.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:28 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Old 04-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Danowert
Road Captain

Originally Posted by xfreebirdx
lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:36 AM
HeyMoe
Novice

You all might get a kick out this: Going home for lunch with a bottle of Loctite 242 Threadloocker from our lab to fix brakes.

Gee there's some rocket science for ya.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:46 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Oh well!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:49 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

WOW Grumpy, I'd say you got off lucky.

Just this weekend, the bolts came loose out of both my rear shocks. The tire then started rubbing on the fender and melted my wiring. The tire finally exploded so I grabbed my front brake and this caused my lower triple tree to break putting my bike into a death wobble. I finally got it under control enough to stop but when I lowered the kick stand, the weight of the bike snapped it and the bike fell over. I pulled my back picking it up so now I'm without a bike and out of work until I heal.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:00 AM
elamey
Cruiser

I don't want a Yamaha I like my Street Bob. I'm just sayin that the MoCo has to look at new buyers. The average age of HD owners is getting up there (witness the Tri-Glide). The kids that we want to buy Harleys to keep the company healthy are looking elsewhere because of the typical HD issues that we older folks are used to.

Not everyone is willing to buy a bike then spend a year and another $5000 bucks to make it run and ride right. I'm always amazed how people take offense when someone suggests HD should improve their quality.

Just sayin'

I'll go ahead and handle the inevitable "Well we don't want em' to buy a Harley then" statement to come.
Ask a guy on HD's assembly line if he wanted to sell a HD to a "poser" so he can keep his job, feed his family and pay his mortage....he'd probably give you a h311 yes!
I'm on board with him....HD has to grow to be viable. That won't happen by alienating portions of the market...just ask GM who built their business on SUV's

Last edited by elamey; 04-27-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:17 AM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HeyMoe
You all might get a kick out this: Going home for lunch with a bottle of Loctite 242 Threadloocker from our lab to fix brakes.

Gee there's some rocket science for ya.
After that used Sporty, your next purchase should have been blue and red Loctite.....as you have no doubt discovered.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Nay_Nay73
Tourer

ay your freaking me out man! my Sporty has been doing some rattle thing since I got her back from the dealer for her 1000 mile $300 oil change!!
I need to take her back in and have them see what the hell they did!

Old 04-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Danowert
Road Captain

Am I the only one to question the validity of HeyMoe's statements. If this guy is that clueless then how could anyone take his statements seriously let alone a dealer who should be the one that he directs his :"Grumpiness" towards.

As far as Elamey's comments, I would like to believe what he says as true but the reality of HD's current market issues is not an aging following. Its a saturated market that has been fueled by Rubs who have moved on to the next fad. Now HD as usual being about 2 years behind the trend are looking for younger riders who tend to have more disposable income. But where they are missing it is why would I spend $15,000 on a Dyna or entry level Softail when I could spend $12,000 on a Busa?

Personally being over 50 as I am is not the end of the road buying an HD. The trike is the next fad that again HD is well behind the curve on since most dealers hve been installing the Leyman conversion for years. This spacks of the same behind the times marketing ideas like synthetic oil being bad for a HD. Guess who changed their minds on that real fast when they found out there was money to be made.

Last edited by Danowert; 04-27-2009 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: This Makes Me Grumpy