General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This Makes Me Grumpy

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:03 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in your service manual, at every service interval, they recommend checking your critical fasteners. thats because harleys shake and tends to loosen bolts, its the nature of the beast! you should have seen that bolt coming loose way before it falls out!

if your bike isnt new, then they only person to fault is you or the last person to maintain your bike... has nothing to do with HD factory!

Old 04-27-2009, 09:05 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95hd883
Harley has come a loooong way in reliability...just wish some stuff wasn't so dang expensive...but the price pay to ride the best!!!!
Yeah, like paying 55 cents for the o-rings that go on the drain plugs. WTF? It's little rubber o-ring.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:30 AM
mduggan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This type of post is really starting to bother me. If you don't like the bike, and you think that it is "old school" and "dangerous". Then quit your bitchin and sell it. Go get a boat, or an airplane, or a cage, and have a nice day.

If you would like to earn the respect and admiration of your peers, go over to a Yamaha forum and trash Harleys.

The vast majority of the people on this forum happen to like their bikes, and believe that they are worth the investment for the return on enjoyment.

I speak only for myself when I say that I am really not interested in reading about a couple of negative experiences that you have had with bikes over the last three or four decades.

I say this with the utmost respect and admiration for the fact that you are an engineer; be it electrical, mechanical, civil, domestic or sanitary.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:32 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Troll--enough said.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:36 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

WOW! I love my '78 1/2 shovel, so much so I still have it, 100s of thousands of miles, she's seen every state in the country except Hawaii, too much water to ride through. I've had some issues now and then, even with my new '08 RK, but I love 'em, wouldn't have nothin' else and judging the comments from the OP, he just has a problem with anything HD, especially the pants on fire thing, PUHLEASE!

Old 04-27-2009, 09:51 AM
WVICEMAN
Road Captain

You've owned twenty bikes? Have you ever thought of maybe looking your bike over making sure there are no mechanical or safety issues before you hit the road. A Harley shakes and vibrates and that's why you check for loose bolts and pins that need to be checked from time to time. I've owned my current 2005 1200C Sportster since new and have not had an issue one with it. I keep up the maintenace and look it over throughly once a month and briefly before every ride. Sounds like you're either a troll wanting to slam HD's or you didn't investigate the bikes you bought and got ripped off.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 856 Likes on 297 Posts

Another crap flying out of my @ss post.....

Old 04-27-2009, 10:12 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you need to get you a Yamaha tattoo and the bike to go with it...Grumpy?
Nah...you sound more like Dopey...

Old 04-27-2009, 10:12 AM
TwiggyAZ
Banned

I notice an annoying rattle coming from the front end. It takes me about 5 minutes to realize that one of the screws that hold the front brake to the handle bar had fallen out and the other one was extremely loose. Now if that second one would have fallen out, the whole front brake lever assembly would have fallen limp hung only by the hydraulic line rendering the brake useless. You all know what that means. No front brake??? Yikes!!! As an engineer, I am completely miffed as to why this is even possible to ocurr
Well, I'm not an engineer, but I did something stupid once and burned out my front brake!! I had to ride for miles without it, then through town to get to the shop!! What a trip!! Hey, now I know how to ride the dang thing without a front brake!!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:14 AM
SecretAgent
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by elamey
Despite some of the knee jerk cliche' flames you might receive, know there is a growing crowd thinking the same thing. I love my Street Bob and more than that, I want to put an american to work when I buy something. But there have been many issues that I have finally resolved. I'm happy with it now, but I don't know that I will go through all the hassle again. My inner bearings gave out on a road trip at 8k miles, fuel injectors had to be replaced to correct stalling etc.. Both were covered under warrety and repaired by my local dealer with absolutely no hassle so I appreciated that. But I wish I wouldn't have had to do it.

That was the necessary stuff, IMHO the minimum to make my dyna ride the way I want was, Progressive fork springs, progressive shocks, aftermarket seat and a True Track. I have done some motor and pipes but that falls under wants, not needs.

I love my harley and don't want anything else. But it was a hassle and an extra bundle of cash to get it the way I wanted it. There are a lot of people, especially the young folks who might not want the hassle. I know this, for the original cost of the street bob and the money i've spent I could have walked into a Yamaha dealer and bought an almost 200 HP V-Max what will run like a sewing machine for 100k miles.

Just sayin'

1. you had two problems under warranty, that were covered without hassle. i don't see the big deal?? i've had many more problems with other bikes than i've had with my harley.

2. you can't expect ANY bike to come straight from the factory exactly how you want it. if bikes were like that, there wouldn't be an aftermarket. EVERY bike i've ever owned, regardless of brand, took some extra parts to get it EXACTLY how i wanted it. from pipes, to body work, to paint, wheels, etc. no factory bike will be exactly what everyone wants. you can't knock any bike because it's not perfect for you straight off the showroom floor.

3. if all you're concerned about is hp and sewing machine reliability, maybe you should go take a closer look at that yamaha.

Quick Reply: This Makes Me Grumpy