General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

found oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009 | 07:12 AM
ChopinRockwooD
|
Cruiser
Default found oil leak

Ok so I was having an oil leak that I couldn't find coming from under the primary. I washed the engine and area real good and went for a long ride. After I got home and jacked the bike up I found the leak but not sure how it's leaking. Right in the back behind the primary where the belt loops to the "witchamacallit" is where it's leaking. I dont want to rip it down and check as its my first love and dont want to scar her. I can see redish oil up on the belt. Does any one know what i/m talking about or what might be the problem? Id like an idea before I take it to the shop to have work done or the dealer if it's covered under waranty.

Chop.

Old 04-26-2009 | 07:42 AM
imrotton2
Road Master

sounds like you got a seal on the tranny shaft leaking... tranny mite have too much lube it in (check it)..

Old 04-26-2009 | 07:58 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Sounds like a tranny seal to me, BY YOUR descrip.
Pans and shovels NOT leaking there, makes me 'nervous'.
"My recommendation" would be to get it repaired before your belt turns to 'goo'. BUT, JMFUO.
The 'old ones' leakin', wasn't a 'big deal', jus' considered it "chain lube". But according to the 'book', belts DO NOT require 'lube'.

Old 04-26-2009 | 08:03 AM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member

awwww yr harley had her cherry poped ....thats all i got, nothing usfull the others have already said it

Old 04-26-2009 | 08:31 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by old skool1983
awwww yr harley had her cherry poped ....thats all i got, nothing usfull the others have already said it
It's kinda Funny But I Know how he feels. When you have to open her up. lol

Old 04-26-2009 | 08:35 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

If it's the shift shaft seal,it easy to see.

Old 04-26-2009 | 12:46 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

"If it's covered under warranty?" If you have a warranty, USE IT!

Old 04-26-2009 | 01:01 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member

i have the same leak but mine is extremly slow and only leaks after really long rides...one or two drops maybe..but could be leaking while riding...

Old 04-26-2009 | 01:23 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

Yep, shifter shaft seal - OR it could be overfilled transmission. I did this once on my '05 EGC and had an instant leak.

Make sure trans oil isn't too full.

Old 04-26-2009 | 02:54 PM
ChopinRockwooD
|
Cruiser

That was pretty funny old skool1983. I nearly spit my coffee all over the screen when I read that comment. All I can picture is mean rippin' her apart and not being able to ride it to the shop to get it fixed. At least now I can ride it their. Thanks for the info guys, I'll be takeing it back to the shop where I had it serviced and have them take a look as it wasn't leaking before I had it their. The leak is slowand only a couple of drops after a LONG HARD ride, when its cold The leak stops. I got the extended 7 year warranty but had a bit of engine work done so not sure if it would be a valid complaint. it seems these days anything you do VOIDS the warranty!

Quick Reply: found oil leak