General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: First Impression?
Nice Bike for my Kids
6.64%
I wouldn't be caught dead on it
32.17%
It will increase the value of my HD
9.09%
Looking like a chopper doesn't make it a chopper!!
31.12%
I need to quit judging people by what they ride
20.98%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Honda to Take on Harley Davidson?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as the Chopper goes - Too little, too late. Honda's not what it used to be with technology and and the main stream motorcycle market. Even in the off-road and superbike races their not keeping up with the other metrics.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:59 PM
EasyGT
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kabluie
The problem with Honda builing a chopper is that there is going to be a bunch of them. There's no indivualism to them.
agreed, it will be nice and cool looking at your local watering hole till three more show up and park right next to it.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:38 AM
Duecesx2
Cruiser

I like the looks of them. I would buy one for an extra bike to do short rides on.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:40 AM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eyeball Kid
Maybe there should be a *Wake Up* Harley option.

Ya like that scoot or not... Bottom line is not many people UNDER the age of 35 (I would bet) are NOT buying a Harley.

So, when those CBR riders are done with the speed, they trust Honda for a street bike.

Young H-D buyers are a dying breed.

Like it or not, Harley had best start to think about that.

What's wrong with expanding the current line-up?

I see posts like this quite often in this forum when this subject comes up. Since opinions are like a$$holes and every a$$hole like this guy has one, let this a$$hole spew one as well.

I live in a college town. Not the largest campus in the country, but it is a major conference school. I grew up in this town. When I ride around town through campus, I see way more Harleys in parking lots at dorms, and riding through the area than I did 25-30 years ago. Now I realize that half of these guys are probably riding bikes daddy bought for them, but I figure daddy gave them the choice on what to ride.

Another thing to remember is, many people in their 20's just cannot afford a Harley "yet". However, if another pal of mine pulls the trigger this week, he will be the 3rd person I know that's under 30 to buy a Harley this month. I can't even remember how many rocket riders at work have said; "I want a Harley, just can't spend the money right now".

Now that riding season is here and the cycle dealerships are having their promo weekends, I have also noticed something else. The local Harley dealer had their bash this last weekend. I seen a bunch of the younger crowd in that place. Several bought Harleys. Parking lot is packed. I also noticed when riding by the Jap bike dealers, there are plenty of parking spaces. Just sayin...

I'm not going to even going to try to debate the Harley vs rocket popularity with the younger crowd, that would be stupid. Almost as stupid as the post I was referring to.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:36 AM
GONZEE
Outstanding HDF Member

its not a HARLEY. HONDA, VICTORY, YAMAHA, ETC. they have not and never will have the history of HARLEY-DAVIDSON. i dont see our troops comming home after war and starting a M/C with handas or victorys. i dont see a sturgis or daytona in any of there futures, never seen a honda tattoo, never seen a honda "poser". i could go on and on. in the end they are what they are, unemanagitive copy cats.....

Old 04-26-2009, 06:53 AM
Slayer dude
Road Captain

Its gonna sell well to the people who hate Harleys. Yes they are out there. But for the money, I would buy a Harley (there wouldn't be any chrome plated plastic or a shaft drive on that).

Old 04-26-2009, 07:10 AM
fxdwgcanuck
Cruiser

its got a rad need i say more

Old 04-26-2009, 07:29 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your poll didn't reflect any of my thoughts. I think its a nice looking bike for what it is. I am sure someone else said immitation is a form of flattery.

The rocker looks like a chopper but isn't. All brands imitate the style of HD. I think its Suzuki that has a Vrod look alike.

But it is 2 wheels. And it puts someones knees in the breeze. And they are happy.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:56 AM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dias survey

Why do a bias survey??

You didnt include a vote for ' I like it ', I have owned two Honda in the past and they where great bikes. I still have a VTX1800 and like riding it also. It's on 03 and back when I got it new for $8,900 it was all I could afford with a daughter in college. I got the FLHT as her graduation present to myself <grin>

Old 04-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Sash302
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll pass,not for me

Quick Reply: Honda to Take on Harley Davidson?