General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: First Impression?
Nice Bike for my Kids
6.64%
I wouldn't be caught dead on it
32.17%
It will increase the value of my HD
9.09%
Looking like a chopper doesn't make it a chopper!!
31.12%
I need to quit judging people by what they ride
20.98%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Honda to Take on Harley Davidson?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 02:23 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcrider1
Exactly. You will be able to ride the Honda and not worry about the reliability factor of a true custom chopper. Remember the show they used to have on Speed. They would get custom builders to build a bike and then ride it somewhere. The guy from Winston-Salem, NC (Johnson maybe?) was the only one that could get one to run the whole way.
If they changed the name on the Fury to HD you guys would be drooling over it.
My most recent chopper had 25,000+ miles on it when I got rid of it. It was the economy and not the performance and reliability of it which led to my selling. As for the show you are writing about, if you mean the Biker Build Off which is the one from Discovery Channel where they built bikes and rode them on a trip to get judged, there were only a few that didn't make it and keep in mind these bikes were built in 30 days. As for bikes which made the trip without breaking down;

Matt Hitch (twice)
Kevin Alsop (twice)
Indian Larry (3 times)
Arlen Ness (twice)
Billy Lane (1 for 2...the 1st bike caught fire)
Scott Long (twice)
Kim Suter
Gypsy Charos
Roger Bourget
Dave Perewitz
Paul Yaffe
Russell Mitchel
Cory Ness
Eddie Trotta
Chica
Kendal Johnson
Mitch Bergeron
Joe Martin
Jessie Rooke
Mondo
Cole Foster
Hank Young
Roland Sands

There are several more which didn't break down...

I can give yo a whole list of who broke down and who made the ride without incident if you like...freakin Honda dudes are all them same...bunch of freakin sissies that think you have nice bikes...you meet the nicest people on hondas...yeah right, you meet freakin strange lil ***** dudes who can't afford real bikes...

By the way if you changed the fury name to HD you would have a rocker with a blender motor...not alot of drooling there...there isn't a honda in the world worth drooling over...this is a freakin HD forum not a group hug for Honda Davidson...

Now I feel better and can go ride and get some lunch...thanx for letting me vent...

Old 04-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Bar_Hopper
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im sorry but theyre only hope is the goldwing. true bikers like a true bike, and a honda just isnt a HOG.

ill still to my HD and never think about anything else.

but for arguments sake, Victory is the closest thing to a decent bike

Old 04-29-2009, 02:41 PM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

I said it before on another topic; I ride Harley's because that is what I like. I don't look down on Metrics. As for the Bike I think it has some nice lines and Honda motors have a good track record. The down side, it Kind of looks like a Victory, small gas tank and I would thought they would have put a bigger motor in it. Not that I think it will, but if it does take a bite out of Harley's market then so be it. A little competition will keep them on their toes.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:28 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboy1
My most recent chopper had 25,000+ miles on it when I got rid of it. It was the economy and not the performance and reliability of it which led to my selling. As for the show you are writing about, if you mean the Biker Build Off which is the one from Discovery Channel where they built bikes and rode them on a trip to get judged, there were only a few that didn't make it and keep in mind these bikes were built in 30 days. As for bikes which made the trip without breaking down;

Matt Hitch (twice)
Kevin Alsop (twice)
Indian Larry (3 times)
Arlen Ness (twice)
Billy Lane (1 for 2...the 1st bike caught fire)
Scott Long (twice)
Kim Suter
Gypsy Charos
Roger Bourget
Dave Perewitz
Paul Yaffe
Russell Mitchel
Cory Ness
Eddie Trotta
Chica
Kendal Johnson
Mitch Bergeron
Joe Martin
Jessie Rooke
Mondo
Cole Foster
Hank Young
Roland Sands

There are several more which didn't break down...

I can give yo a whole list of who broke down and who made the ride without incident if you like...freakin Honda dudes are all them same...bunch of freakin sissies that think you have nice bikes...you meet the nicest people on hondas...yeah right, you meet freakin strange lil ***** dudes who can't afford real bikes...

By the way if you changed the fury name to HD you would have a rocker with a blender motor...not alot of drooling there...there isn't a honda in the world worth drooling over...this is a freakin HD forum not a group hug for Honda Davidson...

Now I feel better and can go ride and get some lunch...thanx for letting me vent...
Wow, 25k miles! I would hope you wouldn't have a problem with a bike with only a year's worth of mileage on it. How far did they ride those bikes on "Biker Build Off"?
And why is it that everyone here thinks that people only ride Honda's because they can't afford a HD. That's the biggest BS I've ever heard. A Goldwing cost's as much as a HD and there are plenty of them out there. I know plenty of guys that don't have a pot to pee in, but by God they have a HD. I guess they think it makes other people think that they have money?

Old 04-29-2009, 03:54 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

A lot of people sacrifice quite a bit to own a Harley. I'm sure everyone in here knows at least one guy that drives a beater, lives in a so so house, but has a really nice HD.
And you're right about the Honda owners only own one because. In some cases, it's true, but in most, it's not.
Hell, I traded a Sportster on a Goldwing Aspencade and was more than happy with the deal.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:38 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I can't believe people get this upset about something that isn't being forced upon them. I could understand some of these comments if Obammy said he was outlawing all Harley's and only allowing Honda's to be sold in the US. But that isn't happening. You can still ride whatever you want. So calm down and stop frothing at the mouth about a bike you don't have to ride.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:43 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
I can't believe people get this upset about something that isn't being forced upon them. I could understand some of these comments if Obammy said he was outlawing all Harley's and only allowing Honda's to be sold in the US. But that isn't happening. You can still ride whatever you want. So calm down and stop frothing at the mouth about a bike you don't have to ride.
pssssst....that's why I secretly added the "I need to quit judging people by what they ride" option to the poll. It originally wasn't there

Old 04-29-2009, 04:47 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
pssssst....that's why I secretly added the "I need to quit judging people by what they ride" option to the poll. It originally wasn't there

Now you tell me! I could have used that the other day.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:13 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcrider1
Wow, 25k miles! I would hope you wouldn't have a problem with a bike with only a year's worth of mileage on it. How far did they ride those bikes on "Biker Build Off"?
And why is it that everyone here thinks that people only ride Honda's because they can't afford a HD. That's the biggest BS I've ever heard. A Goldwing cost's as much as a HD and there are plenty of them out there. I know plenty of guys that don't have a pot to pee in, but by God they have a HD. I guess they think it makes other people think that they have money?
25,000 on it while owning and riding 3 different bikes. I have done plenty of 300+ mile days on it.

On Biker Build Off they rode them 500 miles to the event where they were being judged.

By the way do you even have a bike? There is nothing in your profile. I'm guessing you have a sportie or soft tail with a bunch of bolt on chrome...

Last edited by cowboy1; 04-29-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:47 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by danmo
V-Rods are attracting younger riders. It has speed but is more comfy than a rocket.
More comfort? Forward controls on a sport bike? It just shows how clueless Harley can be. If I want a sport bike, I want performance with a high horsepower to weight ration - not a big, heavy, clunky machine with a bunch of horsepower, trying to dress up as a sport bike.

Quick Reply: Honda to Take on Harley Davidson?