General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idea that might help numb fingers

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 11:09 PM
mpemulis
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Idea that might help numb fingers

Another possible problem - I have tingling and numbness in my left hand, but it's NOT carpal tunnel. It's something called "Vibration White Finger." The name pretty much describes it! It's most commonly seen in people who use power tools all day, but riding a bike can also cause it. (The primary causes being vibration and cold air.)

If you google that term you'll find a lot of links. For example.

Basic "cure" is to keep hands as warm as possible (even in summer) and cut down on vibration (duh).

I had never heard of this until a pro baseball pitcher for the Padres was diagnosed with it.

Just something to think about.

Old 05-19-2006, 11:14 PM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used to have a problem with it, switched to Kuryakyns ISO grips with throttle boss. No need to even wrap fingers around grip just use heel of palm and works well. Just MHO

Old 05-19-2006, 11:15 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Just got back from watching the CAV's game at the bar...had 5 micro brews....my heads numb.......I think I have carpe diem syndrome

Old 05-19-2006, 11:48 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Quick test for carpal tunnel.

Grab the thumb on the affected hand in the palm of your other hand. Pull it down toward the wrist and squeeze it toward the wrist firmly and hold. If your fingers start to grow numb or tingle you have the onset of carpal tunnel. May take up to 1 minute.

Carpal tunnel syndrome is a painful disorder of the wrist and hand. The carpal tunnel is a narrow tunnel formed by the bones and other tissues of your wrist. This tunnel protects your median nerve. The median nerve gives you feeling in your thumb, and index, middle and ring fingers.

But when other tissues in the carpal tunnel, such as ligaments and tendons, get swollen or inflamed, they press against the median nerve. That pressure can make part of your hand hurt or feel numb.

If you ignore it and don't take preventave measures you will lose the feeling in your fingers forever.

Repetave motion is the most common cause of carpal tunnel. If caught early wearing a brace, drugs, and possible cortisone shots.

I had it and got the surgery. The doctor messed it up and I have some permanent damage. I use the gloves with the padding gell in them. It helps to cut the vibration down a lot.