General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Stories

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 09:46 PM
dstegjas
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Last September Ohio actually had high winds from a huricane in the gulf. They were gusting well above 5o MPH. My wife and I were coming back from southern Ohio into the Columbus area when the winds hit. It just so happens that they were working on the main drag there in town. The big orange barrels were blown all over the place for about 3 miles and still on the move. It was like a big pinball machine on wheels. Glad to make it home in one piece on that day.

Jim

Old 04-27-2009, 12:50 AM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Lot of wind here in the spring. You know it's bad when Arizona goes by. Have been caught out when gusts hit 60+, you just try to find a safe place and hide.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:21 AM
Ohrider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bless you guys that have to ride in the 30+mph wind all the time....riding north yesterday was misserable and we got caught in a huge dust/sand storm coming across a field that was a total blackout. It felt like I was being sandblasted alive and thrown all over the place...not sure how I kept things upright.

After about a 2hr ride north to our destination I was looking forward to the ride home because it seemed like the wind had died down a bit....NOPE. It was actually worse coming home because of the angle of the wind and at every curve it felt like the wind gusts were pushing me down to the ground. It wasn't any fun at all and I thought maybe it was just me but we met other bikers and they had the 45 lean going on too. One guy pulled up behind us and he was all over the place but then preceeded to lane split us with oncoming traffic (2 lane road)....he was running at least 80-85mph....guess he didn't notice he was all over the place.

This is my first year on a bike and yesterday I wasn't sure if I made the right decision buying one....The destination was great but getting there and home felt like a death wish....NOT FUN. I'm thinking now about looking for a windvest or a shield of some sort just to keep the wind off of my chest (mini apes). I am also looking into a different helment (1/2 helmet), my neck was hurting so bad I had several thoughts of unbuckling it and throwing it in the ditch and riding on.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:47 AM
falsealarm
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default howlin

I'm only 129 lbs. Wind here in SE Mich.seems to never stop. Rode yesterday but really didn't enjoy it too much trying to stay upright. 35+ mph. But we ride anyway don't we. Ride safe my friends

Old 04-27-2009, 09:15 AM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

All these posts and nobody mentions Wyoming!!!??? Many's the time when I was trucking when you would see cattle pots either upside down in the ditch or parked in it facing the wind to avoid being blown over. Hell, even fully loaded with 47,000 lbs in the box, I would look in the rear view and see the tandems on the trailer lifting a couple of inches every so often. Very high pucker factor...!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:42 PM
trslim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Better to ride in the wind than not at all!

stay safe...

Old 04-28-2009, 09:45 AM
toe_hold
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small dog alerts

Around here high wind days are referred to as small dog alert days. Always though it was a joke until this morning.

From Yahoo News

Tue Apr 28, 7:18 am ET
WATERFORD TOWNSHIP, Mich. – Tinker Bell has been reunited with her owners after a 70-mph gust of wind picked up the six-pound Chihuahua and tossed her out of sight.

Dorothy and Lavern Utley credit a pet psychic for guiding them on Monday to a wooded area nearly a mile from where 8-month-old Tinker Bell had been last seen. The brown long-haired dog was dirty and hungry but otherwise OK.

The Utleys, of Rochester, had set up an outdoor display Saturday at a flea market in Waterford Township, 25 miles northwest of Detroit. Tinker Bell was standing on their platform trailer when she was swept away.

Dorothy Utley tells The Detroit News that her cherished pet "just went wild" upon seeing her.

TH