General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Stories

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Lowridin packer
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was windy here in Milwaukee for sure. But it beats the crappy cold rain we have today. I went to dinner about 60 miles away. When going into the wind or across it, it would almost push you off the road at times. WOW.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:23 PM
dotcom2000
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

when the santa ana winds blow here in the I.E. trucks stop or get blown over. the 111 into palm springs, and here below the cajon pass wind gusts reaching cat. 1 hurricane strength happen. ya can't park in it or your bike blows over. been caught in 'em - sucks

Old 04-25-2009, 08:58 PM
Tao3535
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ionvex
Tao.

The wind gusts were bad yesterday. Did the centerline to shoulder swerve several times. Still better than the crap we have today.
Amen brother, summer isn't too far off though..

Old 04-25-2009, 09:29 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Back in 1973 I was riding a buddy's Kaw Z1 from Idaho Falls, ID to Sunnyvale, CA. I was riding straight through, and was pretty tired when I was on the western slopes of the Sierra Nevada. Rolling down a pretty good grade, I sorta opened it up and was flying low. I came out of an area cut through some rocks and a crosswind shoved me over into the other lane, and then some. I rubbed my left leg on the concrete divider before recovering. I think I mighta crapped my drawers, too.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Jon H
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dotcom2000
when the santa ana winds blow here in the I.E. trucks stop or get blown over. the 111 into palm springs, and here below the cajon pass wind gusts reaching cat. 1 hurricane strength happen. ya can't park in it or your bike blows over. been caught in 'em - sucks
Yep.
Back in '87 was coming back from Texas. [to San Bernardino mountains]
The trip was great, no probs.
That is till I got between Blythe and Palm Springs.
Those winds were so strong, I was so tired, only 150 or so miles to my bed in Crestline.
Those winds were so strong I had to draft 18 wheelers just to keep out of the wind. I mean I was only feet away from the back of the trailer, hoping that they wouldn't pick up road debris.
This here is funny:
I went in to a gas station and was talking to people.
I was so tired I actually asked them "when do you think these winds will die down?" Yes, they laughed their ***** off.
I went back to the freeway and drafted more trailers.
I was so tired.
Jon

Old 04-25-2009, 10:04 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon H
Yep.
Back in '87 was coming back from Texas. [to San Bernardino mountains]
The trip was great, no probs.
That is till I got between Blythe and Palm Springs.
Those winds were so strong, I was so tired, only 150 or so miles to my bed in Crestline.
Those winds were so strong I had to draft 18 wheelers just to keep out of the wind. I mean I was only feet away from the back of the trailer, hoping that they wouldn't pick up road debris.
This here is funny:
I went in to a gas station and was talking to people.
I was so tired I actually asked them "when do you think these winds will die down?" Yes, they laughed their ***** off.
I went back to the freeway and drafted more trailers.
I was so tired.
Jon
You would get the same reaction out here in the high Mojave desert area. I think we get "make you wavy" winds and constant "you will be riding at a 45 degree angle winds!"

Old 04-25-2009, 10:08 PM
jmahon
Stage II
Default wind stories

Was also a windy day here in northeast ohio. but the temp was around 85.
I just call it wind surfing. As the song goes ride like the wind.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:14 PM
trslim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was out riding around Kinosha and northern IL yesterday as well. I thought it was my ride at first with the same waiving all over the road. We'll have to find some trees next time.

Stay safe...

Old 04-25-2009, 11:14 PM
cchips
Ultimate HDF Member

It blows just about every day here. We are situated on top of a cap rock with no wind break at all. Very few trees. Riding in 30-35 mph winds has become the norm. The pucker factor definitely goes up when it gets to the 60+ mph gusts. Done that a few times out of necessity, but wouldn't reccomend it to anyone. I certainly wouldnt do it if I knew it was going to happen.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:42 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Two weeks ago. We rode from SoCal up to Yosemite and stayed at my brothers for a couple days. Going over the Grapevine on Hiway 5 the wind was pushing us from side to side so much that we were careful to ride in the middle of the lane we were in. We were going to go through the desert but the forecast called for 60mph gusts and we didn't want to be pushed around that much. Not the most fun riding. But still fun.

Quick Reply: Wind Stories