General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering 1000 miles!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 10:15 AM
nola_rider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrosie
I'm really sorry to hear about your sis-in law. My prayers are with her. One thing though...has she called the police? An abuser (whether female or male) who gets away with it will just keep doing it to the next person. Her emotions are probably really mixed up right now, but teaching the creep a legal lesson is important. I think, here in Oregon, that if you are convicted of a domestic assault, you lose the right to have a handgun.

You are doing a wonderful thing. Give her a hug for me.

Silverrosie
Thanks

we have talked about calling the police....but I would want them to put the m-i-l in jail to for stupidity....she was supposed to help the sil move out and she just left her there crying because she was tired...what kind of parent leaves a child in an abusive relationship?

....sorry just venting

Old 04-25-2009, 10:16 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck on your trip, take care of you sister inlaw. Just remember to bury the body deep, shallow graves lead to the most convictions.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:53 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you get your MAN card punched twice - that's a real stand-up thing you're doing, and I know your SIL appreciates having family like you.

back to your question.... I towed my Fatboy back from California - 1250 miles. I used a utility trailer with a ramp gate. it had a wheel chock and tie down points on the floor. I used 2 straps per side and hooked them to a cross brace on the frame (where an engine guard would mount). I also put a 6X6 block under the frame and chinched it down solid. that kept the shocks from bottoming out and kept the bike rock solid to the trailer. I used one ratchet strap on the back wheel - hooking to one side rail and going through the wheel a couple of loops and then to the other rail... just to keep the back from "hopping" left and right. I checked the straps, trailer hitch, receiver pin, safety chains and electrial hook-up every time I stopped. oh, DO NOT cover the bike - the cover will beat the paint up.

good luck! and prayers lifted up.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

For peace of mind while towing I always used two straps on each side of the bike to hold our dirt bikes down instead of just one. I had a close friend mess up a nice bike when the strap broke on one side. A little extra insurance is always a good feeling especially when towing a nice baby.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:34 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,796 Likes on 2,537 Posts

I done this twice, in retrospect, don't let any straps cross chrome or flail in the wind near the shiny stuff. Take care of family.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:45 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I think that 1200 Sporty would be a bit overloaded with all of you guys riding it all the way up there anyway! You nearly have to haul it.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:02 PM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear of the family problems.

I've trailered dirt bikes thousands of miles with no problems. Also trailered my Deuce from the seller in Chicago to eastern OK with zero issues. Keep these things in mind:

1. Use quality tie straps.

2. You want FOUR point tie down, MINIMUM. (Two at the front, two at the rear. Tie straps perpendicular to the bike at 45 degree angle is optimum and will be more secure the bike.

3. Use the tie straps to compress the front forks as much as practical.

4. If you do NOT have a front wheel tray or slot on the trailer, you want to stabilze the front wheel against the front of the trailer. If a low front on the trailer, then large C clamps affixed each side of the front tire on the trailer front that will allow the tire to fit between will fill the bill. The idea is to prevent the front wheel from vibrating one way or the other (resulting in the front tire/handlebars being turned at an extreme angle) and thus loosing tie strap tension at the front.

5. Check strap taughtness every time you stop.

6. Check the trailer hitch system every time you stop.

7. Secure the bike to the trailer with security devices.

8. Secure the trailer to the hitch system.

Good luck, and if it gets ugly remember to bury the body correctly.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:26 AM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You're not going to catch any flak, you're trailering in order to ride your bike. Most guys trailer so they don't have to ride.
I know what you mean about being nervous trailering it that far. It's so much better to be able to just ride it. Use good wide straps for one thing. I had to trailer mine in a similar situation and one of the one inch tie-downs, though nearly new, broke. Luckily it occurred just as I was starting out, and I had laced bungee cords through the tires and frame, which helped with a gentle landing for my bike. Double tie-downs on the handlebars is a good idea. Having saddlebags was a blessing too, and no damage occurred. Even better would be one of those clamps for the front wheel that holds the bike in place by itself. I think they're pretty pricey though.
A spare tire for the trailer and a little bottle jack is a good idea, too.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:43 AM
Olyone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what I did.

Attached Thumbnails Trailering 1000 miles!!-img_3600.jpg  
Old 04-26-2009, 12:46 AM
Olyone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't want it comin loose and gettin rash from truck tires kickin rocks and dirt up....so I got a closed trailer

Quick Reply: Trailering 1000 miles!!