General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would I buy a Harley then??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 01:04 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,539 Likes on 932 Posts

You are reading the "1% I have nothing better to do but complain" forum. The other 99% are happy campers.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Vatorman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only person you have to convince buy any bike is yourself. Metrics are great bikes-So is a HD. The reason I bought mine was I wanted a new cruiser and the new Street Glide fit the bill as far as what I wanted. It just happened to be a Harley.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:09 PM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

REMEMBER! People are quick to post all of their complaints, but not so quick to post all of their good experiences. I have a great relationship with my dealer; have always got good service, good advice, and often discounts.
I do most of my own maintenance, and if I have a question, I go to the dealership and ask a service tech. They took me in back and taught me how to adjust fall away on the steering head! They could have insisted I brought the bike in for the service.
Some folks don’t like the dealers; I can assure you the dealer don’t like some of these folks. If you establish a good relationship with your dealer, they will take care you.
You don’t hear folks around here complain about metric dealers, because it’s a HD forum. Rest assured, there are just as many people in the world complaining about Yamaha as there are HD.
I have never met an individual, who owned a HD who went back to a metric and was happy.
Buy what you like, enjoy the ride.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:11 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Maybe you should stick to four wheeled transportation. You seem to be too indecisive to take away two of those wheels. I think a Harley may be a little too much for you right now.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:14 PM
5th Gear

I started with a briggs&straten at ten years old. I've had hondas, suzukis, yamahas. I got an 82 shovelhead, the first thing I noticed after I had the HD is now anywhere I went, people stopped, turned their head to see what was coming down the street. That never happened on any other bike. For me, if its not a H-D it aint worth turning a head.

juke
5th Gear

Good Stuff! And I agree with almost everything that has been said. Like everyone here, I hope, I want to avoid headaches. I have enough of those. I am not trying to impress anyone, I want a solid commuter bike. I try to avoid hype. That is why I came here. To the experienced Harley owner.

I am a member of several sport bike forums and yes, there are complaints about this and that and even dealer experiences. But what I have seen here seems to be the norm. Perhaps the negative stands out more than the positive. I should tune into that more!!!

I have read in this forum where several people have made no modifications and have taken their bike in for a service and been hit with the proverbial you made some mods and have voided the warranty.

I am just trying to continue the rich tradition that I have followed for as long as I can remember, measure twice and cut once!!!

juscoop
Tourer

There are many stock bikes out there that have never had a problem.But if you do buy a new bike ride the hell out of it and if something goes wrong its covered by the warrenty.Alot of members on here have nothing to talk about except problems.Go hang out at your local dealership or watering hole and talk to the ones that ride.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:27 PM
The Whale
Cruiser

When I went to buy a bike last year, I had always ridden metrics, from sportys to cruisers. I knew the kind of riding I wanted to do and what things I wanted in a bike and so I took to my research. This went on for a few months but I always found myself staring at the Street Glide. I had always assumed I would buy another metric since I have always had great results with them, but the SG bit me and I haven't been dissappointed in the least. It's hard to explain but there is a difference between cruising on a metric and cruising on a Harley. I'll probably always be a Harley guy from now on.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:27 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,539 Likes on 932 Posts

BTW, from your list get the Street Bob & you will never say I should have bought the.......

Old 04-22-2009, 01:30 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I suggest you "go with what you know" and buy something other than a Harley.

Quick Reply: Why would I buy a Harley then??