Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long-Term Storage Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 09:42 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would do as DaddyKnuck says and I would mist the whole bike minus the seats or the electrics as much as is possible. Oil shouldn't hurt the tins except attract dust which can be washed later. Change the all the oils first than store. Thats a long time for a bike to sit ---but with oil coated clys. and no gas it should be fine.
Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
Harley tanks are painted onthe inside, drained is much better than full. Make sure to run the carb dry. Pull the spark plugs put a squirt or two of Marvel Mystery oil or similar in (don't fill the cylinders). Remove the battery and give it away to someone who needs one. A tractor supply will have cans of high pressure lubricant. After cleaning the bike well, spray a nice coat on the bare aluminum pieces and nuts and bolts and spokes and nipples that might corrode. I wouldn"t worry about the painted sheetmetal.

Last edited by oldairboater; 04-21-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Rider57
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
3-5 years. Forget the stabil its only good for 6-12 months. Drain all fuel from the tank, carbs, lines etc.
Buy some fogging oil (you should find it at the autoparts store). Spray the inside of the tank, spray the carb and intake (while cranking the engine), remove the plugs and spray the inside of the cylinder.
Fresh oil and filters. Remove the battery, I'd plan on getting a new one in 3-5 years.
I stored my 97 for 3 years. Plan on replacing the tires, they may get dry-checked. Insert some heavy steel wool in the tailpipe to keep the critters out. Ditto to everything else stated above.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:32 PM
surfingspleen
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Appreciate the advice, looks like a trip to the auto store is in order. Is there anything that will help prevent the tires from cracking? The ones I have on now have less than a thousand miles.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:48 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 338 Likes on 194 Posts

They should have some Tire dressing (or maybe belt dressing that you can try). Stay away from Armour-all and other products that make them shiny. You may want to put some wood under the tires to keep them off the concrete, also keep the sunlight off them as much as possible.