General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is your Opinion????

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Olyone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool What is your Opinion????

What is your true opinion on the styles of bikes??
Do you consider Sportsteres as an entry level bike into Harley's and the Streetbobs and Softails, Nighttrains, Rockers etc.. next step towards a bagger? Basicly starting with a Sportster and working your way up to the baggers.

Or do you consider Baggers are for older people?

Or do you ride what fits your style and needs?

What is your true opinion on the bikes? Just trying to see how most people view the types of bikes.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-20-2009, 11:51 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I'm concerned, as long as it says "Harley Davidson" on the fuel tank, it's a great bike.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:52 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I look at it that Harley makes a model for every one. I am reluctant to call any bike (metric or V-twinn) entry level. Especially any of the Sportsters. 883 or 1200 cubic inches 20 years ago was considered a big. And you know what "it is".

Moving to the big twinns the only thing I can say baggers are for any one that wants comfort and storage. Again reverting to the original statement "A model for everyone".

I wil say the sportster is one heck of a bike. Fun versitile, dependable, F%$^ing fast and very manueverable. I think I miss my Sportster.

Well maybe a XR-1200 next year.

Ride Safe

Last edited by leicafish; 04-20-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:54 AM
78fxs78
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Had a Bagwagon when I was 25 in '78, I just liked the look and ride.
Had Jap bikes when first starting in '74, got a sporty in 76 but when I was with others who had Big Twins, I may as well still had a Jap Bike. Harley tends to market Sporty's as entry level but its not fair to all who enjoy them, like the new Nightsters, my friend just got one and gets teased for having a girls scoot. It should be all about what kind of riding your going to do. I know several who get Ultra's and all they do is ride around town.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:06 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 189 Posts

Sportsters are the racing bikes from long ago. A dyna or softail would be a better choice for many beginners, but the price scares them off.

Everyone should get whichever bike fits them, suits their needs and the type of riding they do. We all make some sacrifices. My Ultra is great for long rides, carrying stuff and the open road. For short hops and city traffic a smaller bike would be better.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:28 PM
spaniardguy102
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive kind of subliminaly thought this too, like people say they got a sporty cuz they were low on cash, or they got a fat Boy cuz it was the closest thing to a bagger. I love my Nightster, and get crazy looks from people on ALL kinds of bikes. Get a bike you like and ride the hell out of it, I dont know how many times people have to say dont care what other people think but really...IT DOESNT MATTER.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:28 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have always suggested "new" riders start with a small V-Twin or Metric until you're skills improve. After that it's a matter of personal preference on what you want to ride. For some it's a hour ride and for me it's several hours and long road trips.

I started on a Honda 175 and owned many bikes throught years. Each one brought be a step closer to my current ride--09 Ultra!

Old 04-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Danowert
Road Captain

SHHHHHH....... Don't tell my 2 riders that the drag bikes that I have them on are beginners bikes. They run 7.90's now and it might bother them to graduate up to the "Big" bikes... Ride what ya got and ride it like ya stole it......

Old 04-20-2009, 12:36 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,661 Likes on 946 Posts

I'm from the generation that thought Sportsters were ideal for recently discharged soldiers or recently released felons. To realize 40 years later that they are considered entry level bikes ideal for your 'ol lady to learn on speaks volumes about human evolution I guess.

Every year on the trip to Sturgis I pass numerous trilers loaded up with beautiful big twins. I'll also pass at least one young guy buzzing along on his Sportster or even a japper, loaded down like Jed Clampett. I can tell you which one I think is getting more pleasure out of his bike.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:38 PM
lp johnny
Road Captain

you buy what bike suits your needs...then you buy a spare..just for fun!(still workin' on that one...lol)

Quick Reply: What is your Opinion????