General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is your Opinion????

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Peoples' tastes vary widely. So many different models is a good thing as said above. A model to suit almost everyone. For one person a Sportster is awesome, to another it's a Heritage, etc. They're all great bikes in their own respect.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Billie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like any HD except a BAGGER. Don't like em, never did. To big, bulky and heavy.....All the others I love. Sportsters are just what they say, A SPORTY Harley Davidson.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're a small stature, moderate weight entry level rider, a Sporty can be a fine first Harley. You'll probably be ready to trade up inside of a year though. However, if you're over 6' or 250lb, you'll most likely be uncomfortable on a Sporty. Sure, you *can* make it work by throwing gobs of money in parts and seats, but why when a Dyna would be better suited for you. This is my opinion, so if you're part of the Sporty mafia understand that before start flaming back. LOL

*By "flaming" I wasn't suggesting that Sporty riders are all, well...you know. Some are women too.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:19 PM
cdale976
Road Master

got one of each....1200r and a rk..... can ride both of them anywhere..anytime...inmost kinds of weather..... pends how i feel. true though that with age i find the roadking a bit more comfy than the sporty but nothin compares to ridin a sporty no matter what the age.....

Old 04-20-2009, 11:51 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I love my Sporty. It's my first Harley, but not my first bike. I think it's easy enough to handle. Beginners should be fine--slow speed handling takes practice on any bike.

Almost went for the trade-in deal last month, for a FXDL. But, just didn't like the ride. Didn't feel like my Sporty. It had some grunt, but wasn't as "flickable" as my Sporty. So I kept it, and added a KLR to the stable with my "trade-up money." Wow!

The ideal Harley combo for me would be a bagger to go with my Sporty. Otherwise, the Sporty is the bike that suits 95% of my riding.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:27 AM
CoffeeGuy
Advanced

I bought my 1200C sportster last year, and I love it. Its light, quick, handles great and looks awesome. Its perfect for running around Denver, cruising to work, and up into the mountains for a day trip. I dig its racing heritage. I suppose if I started to do longer trips, I'd move to something bigger. When I bought my sportster, I test rode a SuperGlide and decided against it, and not for money reasons. I just liked riding the sportster better - and thats what really matters.

I spent most of my 20s caring what people think and most of my 30s learning to not care what people think. A guy that I talk to at my favorite bar rides an old yamaha (looks like its held together with duct tape and chewing gum). Friends of mine ride ducatis (and even wear the funny outfits), triumphs, and harleys. A guy I met that rides a thruxton wants one of the XR1200s.

In my opionion, who cares what anyone rides. Just ride what you want to ride and enjoy it; our time here is short.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:35 AM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

To me, a Harley's a Harley. I have a bit more fondness for the air-cooled rides over the vrods, but I'd love to have a VRSC in my garage as well.

I don't think a Sporty is a starter or girl's bike, and I don't think a bagger is an "upgrade".

That said, the least desirable bikes to me are the baggers...I like the stripped, simple look.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:45 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by barjbar
As far as I'm concerned, as long as it says "Harley Davidson" on the fuel tank, it's a great bike.
It,s like a screwdriver one size don't fit all needs and purpose. Had a 07 883L up graded to a Tri Glide. Also hav 06 1200C and 09 FXD. Kinda miss the lil 883 was a blast to ride. Nimble and quick. But got MSRP on a two year old bike on the trade up for the Tri Glide. My wife likes rideing on the Tri Glide.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:52 AM
ToastedGoat
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Olyone
What is your true opinion on the styles of bikes??
Do you consider Sportsteres as an entry level bike into Harley's and the Streetbobs and Softails, Nighttrains, Rockers etc.. next step towards a bagger? Basicly starting with a Sportster and working your way up to the baggers.

Or do you consider Baggers are for older people?

Or do you ride what fits your style and needs?

What is your true opinion on the bikes? Just trying to see how most people view the types of bikes.

Thanks in advance!
if I am gonna be chopping the bike some . I would go with sporties softails and dynas. Not that you can't chop out a bagger . but why by a bagger then chop it? kind of defeats the purpose of buying the bagger in the first place.

I used to think of sportsters as dirt bikes for some reason.. I think it's because the one I had I stripped down put knobbies on it and rode it in the dirt most of the time.. It was my barrel racing, tire dragging bike.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:09 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well if a Sportster is a beginners bike then I've started at least three times and never been off a Harley in 40+ years...

I've had an ElectraGlide... SuperGlide and now the CrossBones in between my Sportsters...

But like someone said here... the 05 Sportster I got last, my body had changed so much that if felt like a different bike than I had remembered...

Though she's going on four years old now, I still ride it a lot... maybe even more than the crossbones... but I do get to change off now and then...

When I bought Sportsters... it is because that is what I wanted not what I could afford...

Sportsters rule...

Charlie D.

Quick Reply: What is your Opinion????