General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is your Opinion????

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 01:40 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 487 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Olyone
What is your true opinion on the styles of bikes??
Do you consider Sportsteres as an entry level bike into Harley's and the Streetbobs and Softails, Nighttrains, Rockers etc.. next step towards a bagger? Basicly starting with a Sportster and working your way up to the baggers.

Or do you consider Baggers are for older people?

Or do you ride what fits your style and needs?

What is your true opinion on the bikes? Just trying to see how most people view the types of bikes.

Thanks in advance!

A motorcycle is a tool... YOU select the right tool for the job at hand. Sometimes the tasks change, and the style of bike changes..... I don't "THINK" there is a pattern, you just buy what's right for YOU.

There are some very large fellows I know, who ride (and tweek) Honda VLX600's, so I'd be reluctuant to call anything a "beginers bike"
My opinion, is that as long as YOU are happy with your bike.... life is good. when a rider feels the need to put down someone else's ride... well I suspect that they have issues.

I know old farts on GAWD awlful fast sportsbikes, and I know young bucks on baggers..... There's a seat for every ****, and an **** for every seat

Old 04-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Cajun King
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danmo
I wouldn't considerate a sporty a beginners bike or a bagger an old person's bike.

I have a Road King for the comfort, storage and I like the look. It all just depends what you're in to.
+ 1 on this. The reason that I bought a Road King is 2 fold. It is a very versatile bike being able to use it easily around town and I have a touring platform because most of the rides I take (even day rides) are over 100 miles. Yesterday was 256 miles and I was just playing with no plan in mind when I left the house. It just suites me for the type of riding I do.

p.s. Road King is the coolest bike Harley makes.

Last edited by Cajun King; 04-20-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You buy that bike that suits your taste and riding style. I advise people all the time that a Sportster is not a beginner's bike. I think people think it is the beginner Harley because of smaller displacement and lower price, but I think they are great and I am actually considering getting one again later this year.

I have a bagger because I like the comfort of the bat wing, the stereo and the locking saddlebags for longer rides. I have the SG because it fits my personal taste more than a EG or an Ultra (and I have owned both). My Springer is purely a style thing - I love the old-school looks of that bike and enjoy riding it a great deal

Actually, there are only a couple of models that I don't like.........

Old 04-20-2009, 02:25 PM
chister
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think all of the bikes Harley makes look great. I bought my '08 Sporty Custom last year as my first bike because I liked the combination of its size and power and my comfort level on it. For my height and weight, a Sporty with forward controls is perfect. When I was shopping around, I talked to people who called it an "entry level" Harley and told me I should buy a Dyna because I'd want to trade up in a year anyway. Well, it's nearly a year later and I still love my bike. It's perfect for me, and at the end of the day that's what matters - to me. I suppose some folks buy into the "bigger=better" equation, and feel the need to trade "up." But by and large most people I talk to tell me they bought the bike they ride because they wanted that particular bike, either for comfort or utility or simply because they drool every time they look at it.

So I don't consider Sportsters "entry level" bikes nor do I think baggers are only for old-timers. I ride what fits me and what I like and can't imagine choosing something as personal as a motorcycle based on any other criteria.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:27 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A Harley is a Harley is a Harley!

Old 04-20-2009, 03:01 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Bikes are built for a function. Not one covers all needs. Baggers are for touring and not always older riders. Some start out on small bikes to gain skills to work their way up. the Sportster is not that good as a beginner bike. Their handling and performance are a little more spirited than a beginner should use. I cruise and tour. Here is the three bikes I found to ride the way that I want. By the way I'm only 68.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:50 PM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing "entry level" about a Sportster is the price. There are many who either cannot or don't want to shell out 20 grand for their first Harley.

As far as the bagger being old man's bikes, well there is nearly an entire generation that thinks all of our Harley's are old man's bikes.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Olyone
Tourer

Originally Posted by chister
I think all of the bikes Harley makes look great. I bought my '08 Sporty Custom last year as my first bike because I liked the combination of its size and power and my comfort level on it. For my height and weight, a Sporty with forward controls is perfect. When I was shopping around, I talked to people who called it an "entry level" Harley and told me I should buy a Dyna because I'd want to trade up in a year anyway. Well, it's nearly a year later and I still love my bike. It's perfect for me, and at the end of the day that's what matters - to me. I suppose some folks buy into the "bigger=better" equation, and feel the need to trade "up." But by and large most people I talk to tell me they bought the bike they ride because they wanted that particular bike, either for comfort or utility or simply because they drool every time they look at it.

So I don't consider Sportsters "entry level" bikes nor do I think baggers are only for old-timers. I ride what fits me and what I like and can't imagine choosing something as personal as a motorcycle based on any other criteria.
Well put!

Old 04-20-2009, 08:46 PM
cujo101
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2002 1200 custom sportster,vivid black lowered chrome,chrome and a little more chrome. This bike is a blast to ride "one up" but has no storage and even with the sundowner seat is not a bike to spend any time "two up". Thursday I'm picking up a 2009 Ultra wife loves to ride and I figure why not be comfortable. I'm keeping the sporty for "stress relief".

Old 04-20-2009, 08:58 PM
motordrum
Road Warrior

I say get whatever the hell you like. Go buy a Vespa if you think they are cool!

Quick Reply: What is your Opinion????