General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is your Opinion????

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:44 PM
FloridaDrafter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Olyone
What is your true opinion on the styles of bikes??
Do you consider Sportsteres as an entry level bike into Harley's and the Streetbobs and Softails, Nighttrains, Rockers etc.. next step towards a bagger? Basicly starting with a Sportster and working your way up to the baggers.

Or do you consider Baggers are for older people?

Or do you ride what fits your style and needs?

What is your true opinion on the bikes? Just trying to see how most people view the types of bikes.

Thanks in advance!
It's pretty simple, you ride what fits your needs. If you don't, you're not going to be happy.
Statisticaly, the Sporty is a door to the Harley world. Inexpensive, so the younger rider can get a foot hold, yet durable and versitile enough to do what you want on it until you can either afford a larger bike or get a grip on what your style truly is. Many come to find it's what they want, but the majority move on. Not a Sporty slam, just a fact.
I bought my first Sporty in 1972 and there just wasn't anything like it. I rode that bike for many years until life cought up with me and I had to deal with that. While I was off 2 wheels, all I could do was dream of getting another Sporty and picking up where I left off. Well, that day came, I went and bought a spankin' new Roadster. Just wasn't the same. My *** hurt, my old bones creeked, I lost most of my hair, so it wasn't a blowin' in the wind, put on 100 lbs.. My body just couldn't do what it could when I was a young hippy. Soooo, I moved on to a larger bike. Not the Sporties fault, I just needed something that "fit my needs".
At least I split the difference and got a Dyna. Not quite a Sporty, but not a Bagger either.
Is a bagger for old folks? Not imho, but you have to admit, they sure will pack a lot of Geritol

Old 04-20-2009, 12:53 PM
mhughes600
Cruiser

i think the idea of the sporty being a beginners bike comes from people with the lack of knowledge of the company itself. most other manufacturers have the low cc bikes then keep the same model and add motor size.hd really is not like that.then you get to know the company and understand the difference.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:58 PM
StreetGlider57
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Olyone
What is your true opinion on the styles of bikes??
Do you consider Sportsteres as an entry level bike into Harley's and the Streetbobs and Softails, Nighttrains, Rockers etc.. next step towards a bagger? Basicly starting with a Sportster and working your way up to the baggers.

Or do you consider Baggers are for older people?

Or do you ride what fits your style and needs?

What is your true opinion on the bikes? Just trying to see how most people view the types of bikes.

Thanks in advance!
Sportsters for get a bad rap as being starter Harley. That's too bad. They powerful, fast, handle great and look cool. Because they're lighter than the big bikes, some consider them good for beginers.

The word baggers is a very general term, generally refering to the touring models. Are baggers for older riders? Yes and no. Yes in that older riders tend to tour a lot and have learned the importance of storage and comfort when it comes to cross country riding. But, no they're not only for older riders in that some bagger models are very cool for bar-to-bar riding. Having a place to place to put your stuff does not make you gezzer, just pratical.

I picked my Streetglide for a few reasons; first, it was big enough for my tall frame. Second, it was a bagger and having storage for riding gear is important when the weather can turn on you, and third...the Streetglide is one cool looking ride.

Last edited by StreetGlider57; 04-20-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:03 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't considerate a sporty a beginners bike or a bagger an old person's bike.

I have a Road King for the comfort, storage and I like the look. It all just depends what you're in to.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:10 PM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Taste

I like both, I have a bagger but would love to have a 883 to run around town on at times. If I could afford both I'd have both.

As for as entry level, Harley has done it right.
Buy a Sportster and with in one year get all your money back if you trade up.

You don't see the metric's doing that.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:18 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is the way I look at it:

The characteristics of a bike (any bike) are what people focus on when choosing a bike.

A Sportster is a very 'light' bike which is appealing to a new rider, but it also has a higher center of gravity. For those that are vertically challenged, this adds to the 'challenge' of learning to ride. Although some of the lower seating bikes may be heavier, they are easier to balance. Riding a bike is not about strength and stamina... It's more about balance and leverage...and seat height is not necessarily the center of gravity.

When riding on a hwy where there is heavy traffic .... (especially transport trucks) to pass, a heavier bike will feel much more stable than a lighter bike.

On a light bike, you will feel wind turbulence so much more, thus causing a feeling of instability but will feel easier to manipulate at a slow speed, cornering and stopping.

On a heavy bike, wind turbulence is countered by it's weight, and sticks to the road better .... but will feel awkward during slower speeds, cornering and stopping.

So there is a trade off on the characteristics of each. Again, due to body weight and size, there are other factors to consider when choosing a bike. Just about anyone CAN do it on either style. It really comes down to personal preference.

It doesn't matter WHAT you ride .... AS LONG AS you ride!

Last edited by bikergirl40; 04-20-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:20 PM
dan1551
Tourer

Let me see where do I start..........When my kids left home a friend came by with a sportster and told me if I didnt get me some toys" someday your gonna be too old" So after a little shopping a sportster was all I could find .I bought it .had a ball riding it for 10000 miles Traded it for a Road King I rode it for 23000 miles and fell in love with the 300, 400 mile days ,but the wife (on the hottest day of the year) got a little unhappy cooking on the back (in a helmet state) Next thing I know shes telling me to TRADE so I ended up with a 08 ultra classic We rode it 11000 miles the first summer .....Do not buy something thinking you will make a sportster into a road king later Rent a couple bikes and decide what kind of riding your gonna do ,thenbuy the one you want DO NOT try to upgrade a superglide into a bagger. My point is BUY the one you want ,loaded up the way you want it ....In the long run will save you lots of money and besides you will have what you need at the start instead of fixing up 3 bikes like I did........

Old 04-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Olyone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well...I have the Deuce and love it big time! The only thing is the storage. When I go for longer trips I through the backrest on and my bags to that. I don't overpack but enough to get through the trip. 1 or 2 pares of Levis and some warmer dryer clothes. With the Deuce I can feel the road a little more than the baggers but I love to enjoy the sights so I'm not one to race from point A to point B. Ride for 2-4 hours take a break and ride somemore.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Personally, As long as you ride, your OK with me.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:30 PM
DMas
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jrsess
Personally, As long as you ride, your OK with me.
What he said. Ride what you want to hell what people think....

Quick Reply: What is your Opinion????