General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet breaking your neck in a crash...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009 | 02:32 PM
Leonidas
Road Master

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
I am for Freedom of Choice that simple.. Nothing for me to debate or argue over..
+1 I couldn't agree more.

Old 04-20-2009 | 03:37 PM
GregH
Cruiser

When my son crashed his rocket (sucked off the road going too fast for a curve), he suffered a fractured neck due to his helmet. He had on a full face helmet and as he went sliding through the grass and dirt after he left the bike, he was on his stomach sliding feet first when he caught the chin piece of his helmet in the dirt. This caused a violent snap of his neck and the back of his helmet hit his spine so hard it chipped the vertebrae.

However, according to the marks on the side of his helmet, he would have crushed his egg without it. In short, he's lucky he had it on. The helmet was the best birthday present that I ever bought for him.

Old 04-20-2009 | 04:19 PM
frankjake
Road Master

I have no problem at all with topics about wearing or not wearing helmets. It IS a real and important topic. If you don't want to read hear about it or deal with it, just don't read the topic, simple as that.

I also beleive everyone should have the choice to wear a helmet or not. I do because it's the law where I live, but when I am out of state, I sometimes take it off.

My recent accident I felt my head hit the car very hard and I am thankful I was wearing a helmet at the time. Will I still go without a helmet when possible, yes. Again, I think it should be a choice.

And to reply on the seatbelt topic someone mentioned. I also think that should be a choice. Many people have died in crashed because they were wearing a seatbelt. I knew an elderly couple that were burned alive in their car because they could not get their seatbelts off. And yes it was in the newspaper and people seen them basically "cook" to death because they couldn't help them in time. But of course "they" don't want the general public to know how many die because they were wearing a seatbelt. It's a lot more than we all think.

One more bit of information.... and sorry it's off subject but just wanted to show how we don't always get the proper information.... 10 times more people are killed each year because they were given the wrong medication or wrong dossage of medication in the hospital than there are people killed in vehicle accidents each year. That's a huge difference but we never hear about those numbers on TV.

And remember the Mad Cow scare? We all thought if we ate a hamburger we would die. Only 7 people in the entire world have ever died from Mad Cow. But the news made it sound so much worse and had too many people scared to eat beef.

Old 04-20-2009 | 05:21 PM
slowenwobbly
Cruiser

Originally Posted by frankjake
I

One more bit of information.... and sorry it's off subject but just wanted to show how we don't always get the proper information.... 10 times more people are killed each year because they were given the wrong medication or wrong dossage of medication in the hospital than there are people killed in vehicle accidents each year. That's a huge difference but we never hear about those numbers on TV.

And remember, 99% of all statistics are just rediculous numbers someone made up.

Old 04-20-2009 | 06:01 PM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by frankjake
And remember the Mad Cow scare? We all thought if we ate a hamburger we would die. Only 7 people in the entire world have ever died from Mad Cow. But the news made it sound so much worse and had too many people scared to eat beef.
Actually considering that the gestation period for mad cow disease in humans can be up to and beyond 30 years you may well see a number of people with the disease in the future.

Old 04-20-2009 | 06:20 PM
Relayer1974
Advanced

Originally Posted by GregH
When my son crashed his rocket (sucked off the road going too fast for a curve), he suffered a fractured neck due to his helmet. He had on a full face helmet and as he went sliding through the grass and dirt after he left the bike, he was on his stomach sliding feet first when he caught the chin piece of his helmet in the dirt. This caused a violent snap of his neck and the back of his helmet hit his spine so hard it chipped the vertebrae.

However, according to the marks on the side of his helmet, he would have crushed his egg without it. In short, he's lucky he had it on. The helmet was the best birthday present that I ever bought for him.
Excellent share, and I hope your son is doing alright.

Old 04-20-2009 | 06:59 PM
DGCOH
Stage III

Helmets, seat belts its all a crapshoot. Some times they save your life. Some times they dont. It should allways be personal choice. Personaly I dont wear one. Government has no business protecting people from themselves.

Old 04-20-2009 | 10:38 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by slowenwobbly
Why do you believe this, when racers routinely fall and hit their helmets at over 170 mph, get up, and walk away?

I think adult riders should be able to decide for themselves whether to wear a helmet or not, but the decision should be based on knowledge and facts, and not some silly myth like ' helmets will break your neck.' Or 'they only work under 35mph.'

It's a dis-service to the novice riders that come here looking for collective wisdom on motorcycling, to present the argument, that they are just as safe not wearing a helmet as they are with one.

Nothing could be further from the truth.
If you fall on the track and slide at 170 mph without hitting anything, you will not need a helmet. That is why I said it was was the blunt force of a rapid deceleration (example: automobile) that damages your other organs. I have not seen anyone on here try to discourage the use of a helmet. Wear one if you chose or don't wear one every rider must make the chose for themselves. If somebody is using this forum to determine their own safety, they have more serious issues to deal with.

Old 04-20-2009 | 11:05 PM
OrangeTJ
Cruiser

Don't know about that. I've seen racers highside, fly up into the air, flop down onto the ground and bounce their heads off the pavement and then get up and run. I've also seen lowside tumbles where their bodies have flipped and smacked their heads down onto the pavement several times...then get up and walk away. Can't imagine that being the case without a helmet. A helmet is no substitute for safe and defensive riding (i.e. not crashing in the first place), but if things go wrong, I'd rather have one on than not. That's my choice and I don't begrudge anybody for making a different one. Riding in the first place is a risk, wearing or not wearing a helmet is just a matter of degree of added risk.

Old 04-20-2009 | 11:15 PM
4JAYS
Cruiser

This is a dumbass argument that has been held here over and over...............
Wear one if you want, or if you have to . If you don't have too, youre choice.
This has been hashed out too many times.
My opinion:
Let me let you tell me.
Hit me in the head with a hammer *- no helmet./
Hit me in the head with a hammer* Helmet/

I would rather wear the helmet for the hit.
But, that is just my choice and I would have no problem letting other people in line behind me go no helmet if they want to.

See you in the lunch line, dig it?

Quick Reply: Helmet breaking your neck in a crash...