General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet breaking your neck in a crash...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009 | 05:07 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

I am using Syn3 oil in all three holes when riding without a helmet but should I switch to Mobil 1 or Amzoil if I wear a full face helmet?

Old 04-19-2009 | 05:18 PM
turn8a
Road Captain

maybe this will help
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/str...ths/index.html

summary
Myth 3: Motorcycle Helmets Break Necks

It seems logical—you put more weight out there on the end of your neck and when you get thrown off the bike, that extra weight will create more pendulum force on your neck. Turns out, it doesn't work that way. In fact, the energy-absorbing qualities of a DOT motorcycle helmet also absorb the energy that breaks riders' necks in impacts. Studies show that helmeted motorcyclists actually suffer fewer neck injuries when they crash compared to riders who crash without helmets.

Old 04-19-2009 | 05:39 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Wear a helmet because you WANT to... or don't wear one, if you don't want to. Arguing pro or con helmet is a waste of time.

There ARE anecdotal stories about riders tripping, and catching their helmet on something, breaking the rider's neck.

Helmets are designed to withstand the impact of a rider falling from the bike, to the ground, and NOT the rider being thrown head first into a car/curb/tree/whatever. Generally, a rider falls downward, while sliding/tumbling forward. the tumbling/sliding "scrubs off the speed" (and either the leather jacket or the skin of the rider).

Will a helmet save a rider's life? far more often, than not.
Will wearing a helmet MAKE one a safer rider? NO, safe riding is an attitude, and an awareness.

Old 04-19-2009 | 05:41 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

Let those who ride, decide!

Old 04-19-2009 | 05:43 PM
TruckinTim05
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Poorguy
I agree with this 100%.

Thing is, why do we have to wear seatbelts?! That should also be a choice. Back in High School, we went on a ski trip. On our way there a Bronco slid on a turn and hit our bus head on. Had the driver of the Bronco been wearing his seat belt, he'd be dead today as the steering column got rammed straight back into the driver seat but the driver was thrown across to the passengers side, LIVING.

Odds are that seat belts save lives but it's still my choice.
I didn't have a seatbelt on, rolled my truck, got ejected, and BROKE MY NECK! I didn't move my legs for weeks. I eventually got up and started walking but I'm very fortunate. i now CHOOSE to wear a seatbelt.

Old 04-20-2009 | 12:22 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member

I believe the neck breaking thing came from the early years of auto racing. Drivers were indeed breaking their necks in otherwise survivable accidents, do to the weight of the helmet. A track physician, witnessing these injuries, patented a helmet restraint called the Hanns Device that prevents this.

In my opinion the risk of a helmet contributing to neck breaking in motorcycling is negligible. The forces involved are quite different from auto racing. Especially considering the over all reduced risk of head injury wearing helmets.

I do not choose to wear a helmet. I have some problems with helmets but this is not one of them.

Old 04-20-2009 | 02:36 AM
NitroShark
Road Captain

The Hans Device was designed by Dr. Robert Hubbard. He wasn't a track physician, but his brother in law was a race car driver. He designed it because of all of the drivers that were being killed because of their necks stretching to the point of breaking after impact. Nobody ever blamed the helmets, but he (along with many other people) realized that they needed something to keep the head stationary during these types of impacts.

I don't worry about the rare chance that a helmet could actually cause damage in a crash, but then I don't wear one and support rider's choice 100%.

Old 04-20-2009 | 04:10 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

oh it's half dozen one and a dozen another.after racing for 15 year's a helmet is more for if you slide on your head. as far as inpact that is another story not much going to help there.but to each there own if some one want's to wear one that is there choice.and that is bottem line .frankly i see more people today wear one than what i use to.but like i said if you do or dont that is your choice and should'nt look down on just because you do or dont.everybody has there reason and that is good enough for me.

Old 04-20-2009 | 07:46 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cHarley
More likely a case of insurance requirements vs. support of personal freedom.

Since head injuries are the #1 cause of death and serious injury in automobile crashes, I say what's good for the goose should be good for the gander.

Not sure where you got your information. the majority of injuries are chest and limb not head. the air force and navy did studies years ago about the pendulum effect of helmets. their results were conclusive that extreme risks of neck injuries were probable but there was no better protection available that wouldn't restrict pilot and crew movement. i can imagine how hard it would be to fly a helicopter in the heat of combat wearing NASCAR type restraints.

Old 04-20-2009 | 08:04 AM
Danowert
Road Captain

Originally Posted by faber
Oh, the "helmets break your neck" argument again....

1. Show me those *data*.

2. That's like saying "I disconnect the airbag in my car because it will break my nose in an accident." The risk of whatever injury they *may* cause is offset, in the minds of many, by those that they prevent.

3. Folks should be able to choose what level of protection they want, but no one should justify their decision with tall tales.

(dirt bike riders/racers and some sportbike racers wear neck braces, and you can buy one for yourself--google it)
And while your at it get the new air bag jacket with the airbag chaps and don't forget the relective orange and yellow vest with the matching heel and toe reflectors. Radio Shack still sells those lids that have the revolving red light too. OMG what dweebs.

Its a personal choice thing and should stay that way.

Quick Reply: Helmet breaking your neck in a crash...