General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet breaking your neck in a crash...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009 | 08:39 AM
Fred00
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Roses
I was just wondering after thinking about this volitile subject since reading about it on here a couple of years ago...if the weight of a helmet increases your risk of neck injury in a crash to any significant degree, Why do all motorcycle racing sanctioning bodies require the use of a helmet. I have also noticed that from the X games to moto GP they all experience significant crashes regularly and no one "breaks" their neck except on very rare occasions. I mean I have seen crashes so violent that the riders are knocked unconscious an yet as soon as they regain their wits they jump up and run off the track. Obviously no broken neck if that is possible. Now I would be the last one to try to convince anyone to wear a helmet that does not want to, But using this argument to justify not wearing one seems a little bit of a stretch.
You're spot on. Motorcycle racers crash and tumble all the time, sometimes at speeds exceeding 120mph. You rarely see anyone die, and I can't remember the last time anyone broke their neck. It's a stupid argument. Common sense says helmets save lives. Or does anyone really believe we wouldn't have more dead racers if they rode with just a doo-rag. They would die like flies. Every weekend.

I say do as you wish, but don't try to convince me helmets don't increase my odds in an accident.

Old 04-19-2009 | 09:14 AM
Trucky911
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army

I am pro choice. I was a fire fighter EMT for a city that borders Detroit for 31 years. I responded to many motorcycle accidents. Never did I see a broken neck. My personal experience, I was involved in 2 motorcycle accidents during my 35 years of riding. I feel the helmet I was wearing saved my life both times.......

Trucky911

Old 04-19-2009 | 09:26 AM
David The Hutt
Tourer

wear what you want, its your skull.

but to be honest. if the force of the crash was enough to break your neck while wearing a helmet, you were not going to live with or without the helmet

Old 04-19-2009 | 09:30 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

I never bought the weight of the helmet breaking necks, but I do think that the helmet gives false assurance. I also think that helmets can save brains when the brain is savable. Anyone can override their safety gears ability to save them. Helmets should be a personal choice not dictated by law or insurance to adults.

Old 04-19-2009 | 09:49 AM
Grind
Road Master

My theory on the neck breaking "myth" is that it stems from very early helmet designs that came down much lower on the back of the head. If the head tilts back too far, the bottom edge of the helmet would push in on the neck. Modern helmets don't come down past the base of the skull, eliminating that leverage point on the neck.
I'm pro-helmet-choice. Personally, I choose to wear one.

Old 04-19-2009 | 09:49 AM
Roadie09
Road Warrior

I think there are cases that go both ways for and against the helmet. I believe the helmet only helps in low (under 35mph) speed accidents that generate head impact. Let's face it, the human body was not designed to with-stand a blunt force impact at high speeds. In most cases if you come to sudden stop at high speeds your brain is not the only organ that is getting wiped out.

I would prefer to not wear a helmet, but I wear a half helmet to keep my family off my rear. I think of it as a compromise that prevents them from worry every time I leave the house (you know, happy wife, happy life)

Old 04-19-2009 | 02:32 PM
slowenwobbly
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cyclonecutting
I think there are cases that go both ways for and against the helmet. I believe the helmet only helps in low (under 35mph) speed accidents that generate head impact. Let's face it, the human body was not designed to with-stand a blunt force impact at high speeds. In most cases if you come to sudden stop at high speeds your brain is not the only organ that is getting wiped out.

I would prefer to not wear a helmet, but I wear a half helmet to keep my family off my rear. I think of it as a compromise that prevents them from worry every time I leave the house (you know, happy wife, happy life)
Why do you believe this, when racers routinely fall and hit their helmets at over 170 mph, get up, and walk away?

I think adult riders should be able to decide for themselves whether to wear a helmet or not, but the decision should be based on knowledge and facts, and not some silly myth like ' helmets will break your neck.' Or 'they only work under 35mph.'

It's a dis-service to the novice riders that come here looking for collective wisdom on motorcycling, to present the argument, that they are just as safe not wearing a helmet as they are with one.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Old 04-19-2009 | 03:17 PM
Fred00
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cyclonecutting
A helmet helps at alot higher speeds than that. It all depends on if you actually hit something or just tumble. I think there is a video on Youtube where a guy gets off at 150+ mph and tumble and hits his head several times. He would be dead without the helmet. So that's a case where a helmet saved a life in a 150+ mph accident. There's no speed where you can say that the helmet stops to work. It all depends on the type of accident.

Old 04-19-2009 | 03:25 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

The reason that it does not happen on the race track is that there is a wide area to slid out. On a road there are posts, culverts trees etc. You can break your neck with a helmet and survive. Or break you neck and crush your head without one.

% wise you are better off with the helmet. But surviving and being a paraplegic is not to good.

Old 04-19-2009 | 04:57 PM
Ugly Troll
Road Master

Just out of mild curiosity, is there any reliable data out there regarding helmets and significant brain damage as a result of closed head injury?

Quick Reply: Helmet breaking your neck in a crash...