General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loyal to harley.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spaniardguy102
Yeah I get ya man, metrics trying their best to mimic Harley's, why you ask? Because people buying a metric cruiser will usually say something like "I like Harley's but theyre too expensive, these Honda's look almost exactly the same and cost half!". Moral: all other cruisers besides Harley's are knockoffs of Harley's themselves...the image of the cruiser is owned by HD, and all other companies are using this image to sell plastic two wheelers.
---Oh, and I got a huge asz Harley Davidson tattoo last summer, the 2nd year Ive owned my '07 Nightster, now if that aint brand loyalty/obsession I dont know what is, lol.
Hey, who let you in here? Hasn't anyone explained that with a Sporty you're limited to reduced size HD tattoos? You have to get a full sized bike in order to get the full monty...

j/k bro

Old 04-19-2009, 12:05 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

This is probally the only topic everyone on this board will agree. Once on a Harley there is no turing back.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:19 AM
Monochrome
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never experienced such a feeling, in fact the whole Harley marketing thing turns me off as do their dealers . I don't feel like a Harley guy, just a guy who rides a Harley (as a previous thread on here discussed) so if a metric saleman thought I wanted to change my bike I would not be disgusted or upset just not interested as I really like my Bob and the wife would never let me trade it anyway as she loves the damn thing I don't like clone cruiser bikes period, but am not opposed to test riding bikes other brands that stick to their own style. If you feel Harley is the only brand for you great, whatever floats your boat, but I would not shut myself off from considering other brands as there are so many great bike out there.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:55 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

So??/
You were in a dealership looking over their stock, and a salesman asked if you wanted to trade in you bike???

What exactly did YOU expect him do to???

Crap his pants?
Call for "back up"?
Fall to his knees and beg your forgiveness?

I've been to Metric dealerships on my Road Glide, been approached by salesmen, and told them I was "just looking" and that I was happy with MY bike (thank you very much). All I've ever been subjected to... was some pleasant chat.

Half of the Harley Dealership I park my Road Glide in front of... except for the paid greeters up front, NO one walks up to me to say "hi... can I help you?"

Old 04-19-2009, 06:14 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

I have Harleys because they are Harleys, nuf said.

I would never trade for a metric, although I like the metrics, dirt, dual sport, sport, ATV's. I would not own a fake harley, they are not really that much cheaper, I value the service and backing thet Harley provides, metric brands just dont bak up their products like Harley. Was thinking about getting a V Strom, but will wait and get a Ulysis instead, time to keep the money home (USA) as long as we have comparable products.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:23 AM
Fogoms
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ronny c.
you missed the point genius, its about the thought of trading my harley not anything the salesman did or said. read slower, take your time.
Sorry Ronny, you're the one who missed the point. "...outraged,disgusted beyond words...insulted?" That's just plain asinine, just like my post was. Except that my post was intended to be...

Old 04-19-2009, 07:29 AM
Skrimshaw
Road Captain

Many of my friends drive jap bikes, and I even ride with a few crotch rockets. They try to convince the jap bikes are as good or better than harley...I always respond "Give me one reason why?" Salesman are asses (I am one myself). They have to put down harley to make their inferior product seem half-way decent.
I get all the attention at the lights, I get all the questions, and I get all the girls over 15, looking at my bike at the shows. What I have learned, the only people who don't like a harley, either can't afford one or never rode one!

Old 04-19-2009, 07:38 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ronny c.
had to go in the metric bike shop in town to pick up some Amsoil,[Harley dealer dont sell it] and got to eyeballing this fake ultra glide on the floor wondering why Harley doesnt sue them, when a salesman comes up and asked what i ride. i said a Harley, he said are you ready to trade it in on this one today? i was outraged, disgusted beyond words, i mean i was insulted. i never realized i was that loyal to h.d. till those emotions washed over me. i kept my cool and said, Harleys get in your blood and you just cant cheat on them. he looked at me like i was crazy and chuckled at me. i told him maybe ide be back for a dirt bike or an a.t.v., but if i trade my Harley it'll be for another Harley. i was surprised at my own reaction, anybody had a similar experience?
No, I currently own some of those metrics and go to the metric dealer all the time. I'm not dumb enough to pay the price for Amsoil and the first fake was Harley because Indian had the first American V-twin. I'm not a fan of any Harley BT with the exception of the Dyna and if you take the time to ride some of what you call the fake ultra glides you will very likely find what the Harley is missing as is the case when harley finds itself in a shootout with those metric touring machines because Harley always finishes last. Personally, I love the 1200 Sportster and always will, which is why I have had three. If I were in the market for a touring bike Harley wouldn't even be in the running.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:57 AM
Beercan321
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This will probably get me flamed for saying this on a HD forum but I’m not loyal to HD. I own a HD and I will continue owning the bikes as long as there isn’t anything else on the market that like I better. I haven’t found another brand of bike that I would prefer owning and probably will never ride anything but HD but I’m going to spend my money on whatever makes me happy. As far as motorcycles are concerned that could be HD or some other brand. I’m not going to buy another HD just because of the brand. It’s my money and I’ll buy what I want and what I think is best for me. For motorcycles that’s HD. Someday that might change, maybe it won’t. To me buying HD solely for brand loyalty is stupid in my opinion. Buy the brand / model of bike that you like best and makes you happy.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:58 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I got to the Kawi/Yamaha dealer all the time. Those guys are a *thousand* times friendlier than the guys at the local Harley dealer. They are all just a bunch of gearheads and love to chat about all kinds of bikes. And it doesn't offed me that they would want to talk to me about bikes other than Harleys.

So, yeah, when I go to buy oil, tires, cable lube, a helmet, etc., I go there. And they used to invite me to look at their cruisers, but once I said, "No thanks. I'm happy with my bike. Not interested in another cruiser. But tell me about that bike over there?" And we just chat about all the new stuff that comes in. (I guess their approach worked: I recently bought a KLR.)

I love my Harley, and there is nothing else like it. But I look elsewhere for my religion.

Quick Reply: Loyal to harley.