General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loyal to harley.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 12:32 PM
RED_5
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago 03 King
What really killed Indian (the first time around) was the Army contract that stated a 500cc motorcycle and HD built a 700cc. The army like the HD over the Indian because of the added power and gave HD the contract in WWII. Indian had a hard time competing when the boys came back knowing the HD name. So really HD bent the rules and profited from it......
Exactly! Harley "cheated" if it was the other way around we'd all be on an Indian forum bag deep in love with our bikes. Don't get me wrong I really like my HD but this is what made Harley and broke Indian. If I remember reading correctly the Army actually liked the Indian bike better except for the engine.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:14 PM
MarkThomas
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atomic
I bought two bikes for my wife at the metric shop. The salesman remembers my name everytime I come in.

I bought a Ducati at the Italian bike shop and the salesman remembers my name everytime I go in.

I go to the Harley shop and nobody knows who the heck I am or cares. If a salesman talks to me he only takes the time to belittle my current Harley and tell me how great the new bikes are and how they are in short supply so I have to pay more than MSRP and my trade-in is worthless.

I wonder which place I get most upset at. Really I love my Harley. But they last forever so I really don't need another.
Another nail on the head! So true about most dealers like to tell ya what a piece of crap your 06, 07, etc is and how great the new ones are...too funny. Seems like we have all been to the same dealerships.

I wonder if this lack of Customer Service has anything to do with Harley's sinking stock price?

Old 04-21-2009, 02:13 PM
OsoFat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Danowert
Hell, I wish I could be invisible at a dealership, but you see, I stand out from the crowd of wannabes that frequent it.

See, I don't wear head to toe company leathers, a skull leather bandana under my factory lid, with the fingerless gloves and factory boots. Oops forgot my factory wrap switchable lens padded aero designed sunglasses and my dangling chain wallet.

Even if they are carrying their beloved jackets which by the way must be highly prized since they don't seem to be able to leave them on the seat of the bike while they walk around the dealership looking for the latest vest and t-shirt that the dealership sent them info on. What a bunch of rubs.

BTW, you'll recognize me. I'm the one that just road in on a bike that probably just finished a 100 mile run for breakfast and stopped to get a free hot dog or donut. I'll be wearing jeans with dickies boots and a cutoff t-shirt with at best an indie logo. Probably a pair of KD's or my new RayBans. No gloves and no lid. I'll walk right past the service manager giving him the wave.......(I can't believe I said that) and head directly back to the service department to talk to a couple friends that I drag race with. Then as I go out the door again I might grab a bottle of water and bungee it to my handlebars, that is after I get through the crowd that has surrounded my hardtail. Answering the same usual questions like.....

Who built it? --- I did.
How many horsepower? --- 135 @ 5800
Does it ride good? --- Huh? its a f**king hardtail *****le

At that point I reach down and fire it up and zip out for another couple hundred before supper. Leaving the rubs and wannabes in awe and shock that he didn't use his fork lock and left the key in it......

BTW I do have a 08 EGC that is a pleasure to ride on our long rides or when my wife wants to just get away from the house, which lately is every weekend rain or shine, cold or hot.

Oh, I almost forgot, The chances of me returning your wave are slim to none. I am not your brother and I resent you even calling me that. Earn my respect and I'll gladly shake your hand but this whole brother thing is out of control too. Just because you bought a Harley doesn't make you a biker. Nor does it give you a free admission ticket into the true biker community.

Now that should get me some good flamin goin on.........LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dang! You are my hero. I'll put your name right up there with General Patton, John Wayne, and Snoopy. Thanks for the laugh, brother. Oops! sorry.