Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 08:04 AM
steamfitter
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice...

Ok so here's the deal... I own a 2003 Fatboy with stock wheels. I purchased a 18" Performance Machine "Wrath" fornt wheel form a guy on Ebay. I received the wheel and everything looked fine. In his ad he stated it was a wheel that had only had a tire mounted on it and that was all. Pics looked good and when I got the wheel it looked fine. It had a couple scuffs but they were hard to see. I took the rim to my local shop that does my work to have them put a tire on it and install it on my bike. The tire I was going with was a Metzler 130/60/18. I got a call from the shop stating that they can't get the tire on the rim. They said it was like trying to get a 16" tire on a 18" wheel. It was actually wrinkling the sidewall. They said they have never seen anything like this before. They also told me that the chrome is flaking off the edge of the wheel. I went down and looked at the rim and sure enough it is flaking in numerous spots. I looked at the tire they were installing and verified the correct size. I emailed the guy and he states it was fine when he sent it. My shop uses a Euro machine and I trust they know what they are doing. I told him I would like the wheel replaced or my money refunded. Has anyone ever ran into this or heard of a tire not going on correctly? Do I have grounds to file a complaint with Ebay or PayPal? I just feel sick, I basically have a junk wheel. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:22 AM
llbigbird
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Did his ad state "AS IS"? If not you can file a complaint with Ebay and also if it has not been to long you can file a complaint with Paypal where they will get your money back. It is better to have your Paypal set up to your credit card and call them and have a charge back done through them.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:30 AM
BlackRob
Tourer

You have to be careful buying chrome wheels. A lot of people send damaged wheels to chrome exchange shops to get good ones in return. Then the next guy gets the bad wheel with damage that's covered up with a dip in the chrome tank. It's a huge racket in the sport bike world where people love getting their stock wheels dipped.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:43 AM
steamfitter
Intermediate

Originally Posted by llbigbird
Did his ad state "AS IS"? If not you can file a complaint with Ebay and also if it has not been to long you can file a complaint with Paypal where they will get your money back. It is better to have your Paypal set up to your credit card and call them and have a charge back done through them.

This is what his ad states...

This wheel has been previously mounted and balanced (note the wheel weights in photo) on a bike. You may notice normal wear from being previously mounted.

VERY LIGHT USAGE!

I have my account with Paypal set up like that. Do I send the wheel back to him and then file the claim? If you look closely you can see the chrome about to come off at the top of the picture.

Last edited by steamfitter; 04-18-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:22 AM
llbigbird
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

No do not send it back yet. Contact him and keep copy of all interactions and also file the dispute.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:05 AM
dogcop727
Road Master

is it ok to put his ebay user name here on the forum so those of us that buy on ebay dont buy from him?

Old 04-19-2009, 05:29 AM
kickstart pan
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steamfitter
Ok so here's the deal...

I purchased a 18" Performance Machine "Wrath" fornt wheel form a guy on Ebay. I received the wheel and everything looked fine. In his ad he stated it was a wheel that had only had a tire mounted on it and that was all. Pics looked good and when I got the wheel it looked fine.

I got a call from the shop stating that they can't get the tire on the rim. They said it was like trying to get a 16" tire on a 18" wheel. It was actually wrinkling the sidewall. They said they have never seen anything like this before. They also told me that the chrome is flaking off the edge of the wheel.

I emailed the guy and he states it was fine when he sent it.

I told him I would like the wheel replaced or my money refunded.

I basically have a junk wheel.

Based on that you say. you inspected the wheel and it was ok before you went to have the tire mounted. then the shop calls you and when you inspect the wheel it's NOT ok
Go figure

your either dealing with someone that's honorable or not.
With his response to your first inquiry, is all he said what you posted ?
HE said it was fine when he sent it ? You said it was fine when you got it ?
Maybe you should have watched the tire get mounted, maybe they made a mistake, you don't know and you want to go back on the seller ?

I sold a wheel to a guy here a while back , it clearly had a small nick on the edge of the rim and was shown in the picture I sent him before he bought.
He complained even after he looked at the picture in the original ad with the wheel in his hand.
I said return the wheel and I sent him his money PLUS shipping back to him, he never even said thanks. To me HE is less than honorable.

you may have gotten screwed, but you can't be sure who did it.
So according to you "I basically have a junk wheel" I supose your right, suck it up.